Author Topic: The P-40IH (International Harvester) - a Green Acres Tale in 1/72 Scale  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash

During W.W. II, many U.S. industrial giants built famous fighter designs under contract and sometimes improved upon them.

The Goodyear F2G is a well-known example of this.

Far less remembered is International Harvester's version of the iconic P-40.

While International Harvester was heavily supporting the war effort...

...they weren't known for cutting-edge combat aircraft.

The innovative staff at International Harvester came up with the radical P-40 re-design while working on an order for the Monaco Air Force. When Monaco was over-run by Italian troops and drunk tourists, the order was transferred to the U.S. Army Air Force.

Powered by a 1450 h.p. Allis-Chalmers engine and featuring a new, more robust canopy with better view, the new fighter was further enhanced with fully enclosed retractable landing gear to improve streamlining. The new aircraft was fast, especially in a dive. It also packed a heavy punch as it was armed with eight .50 mgs, two mounted over the engine synchronized to fire through the propeller arc.

Officially designated the P-40IH, it was more commonly known as the Harvester, or just the "Heavy". Unfortunately, the new P-40IH was substantially different from existing models, causing supply chain problems. Only one unit was partially equipped with the new sub-type, the 77th Pursuit Squadron. It may have all ended there with such small numbers actually reaching service.

Luckily, the Hootersville metropolitan area was in need of air defense after experiencing over-flights of an unknown nature.

The mayor was apparently unconcerned and took no action.

Luckily, one of Hootersville's leading citizens was able to employ her particular form of persuasion and successfully lobby for U.S. Army Air Forces protection.

While A & P flights of the 77th were keen to test their new fighters, they were a bit taken aback at the location of the duty.

They were reminded that there were worse places to be.

Thus A & P flights of the 77th formed the nucleus of what history would forget to record as the Green Acres Task Force.

Known for their unique tail marking, the pilots of the Green Acres Task Force would fly countless patrols, always keeping a keen eye peeled for anything out of the ordinary.

Commencing operations on Labor Day, 1942, over thirty-eight missions would be logged before the unit was transitioned to more modern aircraft and reassigned to a combat theater in early 1944.

No more sightings of unknown aircraft not eventually identified as scheduled flights or attributed to Green Acres Task Force ops were recorded for the entire time the P-40IHs patrolled. If historians ever bothered to note this brief period of events, they'd probably write off the initial sightings as war nerves.

No P-40IH Harvesters survived the war and it's not even remembered as well as many fictitious Luft '46 projects so no kit has ever been made. However, a conversion set was briefly available which is so poor many assume it to be a Merlin product although the actual maker remains unknown. Much like the P-40IH.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 05:51:58 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: The P-40IH (International Harvester) - a Green Acres Tale in 1/72 Scale
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 05:47:52 AM »
This all started with a bagged 1/72 Hasegawa P-40E that showed up recently (thanks again, hamsterman!). This is a lovely kit, and while I don't have any box art to share, I do have pics of the various mis-adventures. Things began by losing the splitter plates for that huge intake. Some card stock came to the rescue.

Once that teensy bit of detail was taken care of, I saw I'd also lost a horizontal stabilizer. A pair was swiped from a P-36. After all that, I was keen to simplify things by adding gear doors.

Of course, keeping it simple would go off the rails a bit as I decided the P-40E was deficient in not having machine guns on the engine decking. SE-5A landing gear bits were used for the gun blisters.

Gun barrels were bits of sprue added just before painting.

While going along, I noticed the rear canopy from a Martin B-10 was a pretty decent fit. This was tinted with Model Masters RLM something Licht Blau as were the rear clear panels. Then the old hairy stick and a lot of Polly Scale Building Brown were taken to the uppers and a bit of Model Masters Euro Green was used for the accents.

Underneath was done in Polly Scale Underside Gray.

Only the national markings, codes and underwing U.S. Army were kit decals. The squadron emblem on the nose came from a sheet for P-36s by Starfighter. Those unique Green Acres Task Force tail markings are actually belong on a 1/144 B-17. I was pretty tickled how they fit, only needing a slight trimming.

This model took me about a week from start to finish. I had a blast building it and can't recommend the Hasegawa P-40E highly enough. While it's very simple, it's very well engineered and builds easily with no filler needed.

I hope you enjoyed the P-40IH and reading a little more buried (some might say planted) history.

Brian da Basher

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 06:29:43 AM »
Beautiful!  You farmed out the details on that one quite nicely.

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 08:17:59 AM »
You did well do tackle the issues that cropped up regarding missing parts and, while some may call the use of SE.5a parts an agricultural solution, I commend you for plowing ahead.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 05:09:16 PM »
Good! Maybe this is not your first Hawk but this one is good too...

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 05:41:12 PM »
 :)

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 10:35:21 PM »
Nice one

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 11:01:20 PM »
Mr Haney would be so jealous of your great work Brian.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Kelmola

• Seeking motivation to start buillding the stash
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 02:54:37 AM »
You just keep coming up with subtle but imaginative variations of the Hawks, and always with a hilarious backstory with pictures! :)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2016, 05:34:28 PM »
Another example of a low production variant, which did not see action, being ignored by historians.
Lobbying efforts by one of Hootersville's leading citizens would likely had more coverage than P-40IH itself.
Depth of your research is impressive as well as bashed build of this never kitted variant. :)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 06:13:07 PM by finsrin »

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 03:16:29 PM »
While it is true that International Harvester were not known for "cutting edge combat aircraft," it is a little known fact that the P-40IH was NOT their first aircraft.  In fact, their Farmall division had produced their Model K "Farm-to-Market Rapid Delivery" aircraft in 1938.  Based on the Stinson SM 6000 (an eight-year old design which Stinson was only too happy to sell the rights to), Farmall developed an inline 6-cylinder engine of 350 hp and installed three in the new Model K.  The engine nacelles retained the Raymond Loewy styling that was common to all Farmall tractors.  The Model K was not a commercial success, but it was popular among certain farmers who were intensely loyal to the Farmall brand.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 04:38:17 AM by Acree »

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 04:29:39 AM »
Love that new canopy. Its makes it look fast  8)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 04:35:22 AM »
So simple and yet amazingly real. Great finish and love the idea. Yet another first class Basher brilliant build.
Please keep 'em coming.

:D >:( ;)
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.