Author Topic: Biggles and the Phantom Menace  (Read 2296 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
Biggles and the Phantom Menace
« on: May 08, 2016, 02:25:24 PM »
In Biggles and the Phantom Menace, James Bigglesworth, Algernon Lacey and the rest of 266 Squadron have been challenged by new and improved German fighters over the Front when a mysterious man claiming to be from the year 1986 arrives at their airfield. The man, Jim Ferguson, claims to have travelled back in time to help Biggles and Algy defeat ace pilot Manfred von Stalhein - cousin of Biggles' arch nemesis Erich - and the cunning flyers of Jasta 213 and avoid the death of our heroes in a major dogfight in three days' time.

Ferguson leads the pair to a nearby farm where, inside an old barn, is a fantastic aircraft he'd brought from the future to help them...a "jet plane" called Phantom. After fitting out the plane with spare machineguns and bomb racks from the 266 Sqn stores, and repainting it to resemble their Camels, Biggles flies the Phantom to menace the Jasta 213 airfield and force Manfred von Stalhein into a fight he cannot win...

This is the Hasegawa 1/72 F-4K of probably 1960s vintage which I bought dirt cheap online, only to find it had no exhausts. A member of another forum was kind enough to send me some - along with some other spares to upgrade it - which I decided to clone in resin and keep for another project. It's my entry for that forum's One Week GB...which finishes tomorrow!

Making it wheels-up meant a very quick build! I put in a suitably-attired pilot and painted it based on a Sopwith Camel: PC-10 uppers, Clear-doped Linen (on a Phantom?) unders, a wooden radome, silver intakes (like a Camel's metal cowling), "wood coaming" under the cockpit and rusty exhaust areas inspired by SE.5a exhausts. Bomb racks made to look like varnished wood were attached, and some bombs from a Novo Vickers Vimy and some machineguns were the sum total of construction. Then decals scavenged from the box (mostly Revel 1/72 Camel and SE.5a) rounded off the build.

Quick and not particularly pretty - and the story could do with some work - but it's completed!!! Started 11.20am yesterday, finished by 1pm today. Another kit out of the stash.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Biggles and the Phantom Menace
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 09:24:57 PM »
That's truly delightful, Zac-o-matic! What a hilarious concept and a sharp-as-a-tack Phantom!

Having been raised on Zane Gray westerns instead of Biggles, I'm grateful to you for adding to my education in this area.  ;D

Love the period-correct bombs, pilot and guns!

Will look forward to Biggles and the Revenge of the Drones.

Outstanding!!!

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 03:12:58 AM »
 :-\
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 04:45:08 AM »
Thanks Brian! I have to confess I've only read about two of the 100+ Biggles books, although I have a few of Dad's which I can catch up on.

Greg?  ;D
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 04:46:51 AM »
That wood nose looks real! Brilliant work :-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher