Author Topic: The First Tomcat  (Read 5127 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
The First Tomcat
« on: May 18, 2013, 04:48:15 AM »
By the summer of 1942, the war in the Pacific had become a meat-grinder of attrition for both sides. While Japan had scored a decisive blow attacking Pearl Harbor, they took heavy losses at the Coral Sea, the Aleutians and Midway and over half of their navy was sunk. The U.S. suffered at Midway too, losing the carrier U.S.S. Yorktown and another carrier, the U.S.S. Enterprise was damaged so badly it was out of action for a year.

While Americans on the home-front got some war news, they were not told the truth about how weak U.S. forces in the Pacific had become.

It would all come to a head over a tiny, forgotten fly-speck of an island far from anywhere called Mog Mog.

Mog Mog was a lightly defended weather observation and radio intercept outpost. Fortunately, their code-breaking skills were up to snuff and they caught wind of a planned Japanese attack and quickly sent out a plea for help.

While there were few forces or equipment to be spared, the U.S. Navy came up with a plan using an old airship and a U.S.M.C. training squadron.

Grumman aircraft is famous for their Navy fighters. While the F4F Wildcat is celebrated, less known is the biplane which preceded it, the F3F-4. Only a few were made as insurance against the Wildcat failing and they were relegated to training duties. Still, the little F3F-4 biplane was a scrappy and maneuverable aircraft which was called the Tomcat by its pilots.

Word that the Japanese light carrier Sashimi along with an invasion force was getting ready to head for Mog Mog made the U.S. Navy put their plan into action.

Continued...

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 05:18:54 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: The First Tomcat
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 05:13:39 AM »
The quiet desolation of Mog Mog was soon to be broken as naval and air forces gathered.

The U.S. Navy also sent a task force consisting of two light cruisers, a destroyer, three torpedo boats, a submarine, a troopship loaded with Marines and a garbage scow. While this was not much, it swelled the population of the tiny Pacific outpost.

The U.S.S. Bacon soon arrived on station and launched its squadron of U.S.M.C. Tomcats, keeping four in reserve for defense and scouting.

The next day, the Japanese invaders appeared over the horizon and the battle was joined. Fortunately for the Marine pilots, the Japanese were scraping the bottom of the barrel too. Instead of facing the far superior Zero, they would fight the obsolescent, fixed-gear Nakajima Ki-27 Nate. This put them on roughly equal terms, but a radical new aerobatic maneuver would win the skies for the Americans.

While the Fletch Retch was hard on pilots' breakfast, lunch and dinner (not to mention cockpits and flight suits), it caused the Japanese Nates to fall flaming in droves before the Tomcats' guns. Many famous U.S.M.C. aces would be born that day in what would become known as the "Mog Mog Massacre".

The Japanese threat in the air was eliminated by noon the following day and the U.S. submarine Flounder scored two torpedo hits on the enemy carrier Sashimi. To add insult to injury, the garbage scow U.S.S. Septic rammed the Japanese troopship and sank it. The Americans owned the skies and held on to Mog Mog while the enemy retreated to lick its wounds. U.S. forces celebrated their victory which would later be seen as a turning point in the war.

Once the war ended however, the tiny island of Mog Mog was abandoned and little trace of the epic battle can be seen today.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 05:16:09 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 05:18:44 AM »
I have to be honest, Brian.  This is probably my favorite recent model of yours.  The camo scheme on it is especially lovely.  Well done!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 05:19:20 AM »
 :) ;D :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 05:29:36 AM »
I have to echo Logan's sentiments man, another one outta the park  ;D
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 05:35:20 AM »
This all started with the Hobby Boss 1/72 F4F-3 Early Wildcat. Isn't that some awesome box art? You've got to love those pre-war "yellow wings" schemes!

Hobby Boss kits are incredibly simple kits and easy to build, but their large, modular parts don't really make them good fodder for kitbashing.

Unless you've got a couple of screws loose and wings left over from a Gladiator. Yes, that was all I had to do here. Saw off the kit wings and replace them. Of course, not being willing to keep it simple, I had to swap out the inter-plane struts with N shaped struts more in keeping with a Grumman design.

Since the Hobby Boss kit is designed to be built gear-down, I had to do a little tweaking. I added another air scoop (or oil cooler or A/C duct, take your pick) made from scrap sprue. Painting the opening was challenging.

I know it's wrong, but I figured four belly windows instead of two would give trainee pilots a better view for crashing into flight decks.

Decals came from spares and rigging was courtesy of some great plastic wire Mr Fontaine sent me. The entire model is brush-painted by hand in acrylics.

This project took me about four days from start to finish. Mog Mog really exists although no battle took place there. I know of it because my dad (11th Airborne Div.) and my uncle (U.S. Navy) both stopped there during W.W. II and were stunned to meet anyone else who'd heard of the place.

I hope you liked the model and the story of how the First Tomcat and the U.S.S. Bacon turned the tide in the Pacific.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 05:37:39 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 05:57:40 AM »
Another obscure fascinating and victorious war story.  With just as obscure Bacon carried Tomcats.   :)
Peanut followed by Tomcat.  Concept and build of F3F-4 is cool.  One right on build.  :-*
Agree that is excellent box art, fighter and part of a lush archipelago below.  Being patrolled for infiltrators ?
As for spray attack:  Protection screen, red bra-panties, high heels, bolt action 22.   Hmmm....
------
Giving F3F-4 a second look and read of build.   Fit of wings combined with strut mods on that fuselage does come across as final hotter version of F3F having partial F4F content.
Camo scheme is ideal.  A wish I would have thought of it scheme.  Without reviewing all your builds to be sure; think this is my favorite of the bunch.  :)

Gave me GB idea.  Build your take on next version of an aircraft.  What could the next modernization be ?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 09:31:49 AM by finsrin »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 12:15:49 PM »
Beautiful job.  I have to ask is it a F3F-4 or a F4F-1?  The latter was also a biplane before Grumman redesigned it to compete with the F2A "Buffalo".

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 01:24:24 PM »
Nice work Brian!  Had to look hard to find the Wildcat hiding behind all of the extra wing :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 10:41:07 PM »
Wonderful work mate - but perhaps the most surprising thing about your tale is that Mog Mog actually exists!!!  :-\

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 01:44:50 AM »

Marine Tomcat approved!!  :)

Very cool plane, and the hand brushed scheme is exceptional  :-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 06:46:56 AM »
Lovely! And the Gladiator wings look perfect on the Tomcat  :)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 05:03:44 PM »
Well done, once again! :-*

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 04:45:42 AM »
Great looking model and a great backstory to go with it. It sure does look like something from the mid-thirties !!!   
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 07:20:55 AM »
Very nice matey !!  :D