Author Topic: Avro Atlantic Variants  (Read 11098 times)

Offline tc2324

• Just slightly on the edge of madness......!
Re: Avro Atlantic Variants
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 10:14:51 PM »
Looking forward to it.  :)
Whiffing is for Life...., not just for Christmas!!!

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: Avro Atlantic Variants
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 01:00:34 AM »
While looking around the internet trying to give my 'Pacific' some plausibility engine wise, I found there is a very common engine that fits the bill perfectly.  The 767 is powered by two CF6-80's which, depending on the option taken, can be between 50,000 lb to 63,000 lbs of thrust.  But the four Olympus 301's are only of 20,000 lb thrust each which leaves the Pacific a bit short on power for a 767 sized aircraft if I stayed with the Olympus engines.  Which is why I'm going with the enlarged inner wing section but I needed an engine to make it work and I've found it, the CFM56, specifically the CFM56-5 series.  These range between 22,000 lb to 34,000 lbs of thrust so I'll make my Pacific capable of accepting the most powerful of the bunch.  The CFM56-5 scales out to a little bit over 3/4" in diameter in 1/72 scale and originally I had got hold of some 1/144 747 engines to do the conversion.  Problem is they're too small so after a bit of checking I found I really need some 1/144 Trent engines which measure out to --- yep! you've guessed it --- 3/4" diameter.  So order placed for four Braz Models Trent fan fronts from the Big H.

I've also figured out how to make the undercarriage track as small as possible, the track of a Vulcan is about 31'-3" wide (centers of wheel trucks) and on the Atlantic it would be 34'-6", but then the Pacific would be about 44'-6" wide if I just went with the single truck either side.  Measuring up the Vulcan kit I've found that if I re-arrange where the u/c leg is situated in the wheel bay, I can recover all the distance gained (3'-3") and have the wheel track the same as the Vulcans, which in turn saves a bit on the Pacific too.

I've done this by moving the leg to the inner end of the u/c hinge, then instead of having the hinge centers in line from side to side, rotate the hinge at an angle so that when the u/c leg is retracted, the end of the leg which attached to the trucks, are pointing outwards.  And the bonus is it all stays inside the original wheel bays.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:12:53 AM by kitnut617 »