Author Topic: CNNA HL-7B Andorinha  (Read 2356 times)

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
CNNA HL-7B Andorinha
« on: January 17, 2016, 01:46:15 PM »
In 1941, the Brazilian Air Force (Força Aérea Brasileira) was formed.  Almost immediately, the new Ministry of Aeronautics set about establishing an indigenous source of combat aircraft.  In response, Companhia Nacional de Navegação Aérea (CNNA) offered its HL-7 Andorinha.  The aircraft had been designed by Antônio Guedes Muniz with assistance from Mikhail Goremykin.  Goremykin was a Russian émigré to the US where he had worked under Alexander Kartveli of Seversky (later Republic) Aircraft.  Goremykin had come to Brazil expressly for this purpose, and brought with him expertise in metal stressed skin structure, as well as some specific design data from the Seversky stable. As a result, the HL-7 bore some resemblance to earlier Seversky designs, especially in the tail. 
The wings of the HL-7 were of a new concept created jointly by Muniz and Goremykin.  Muniz had studied earlier dive bombers and knew that the wing design limited acceptable speed in a dive.  Although he did not understand the concept of compressibility (the US NACA would not solve that problem for another year or more), he knew that existing, thick wings were not adequate.  Seeking a solution, he set about to observe fast-flying and diving birds.  He was particularly impressed by the various swallows and martins – noting in particular their swept and sharply tapered wings, which they swept even more sharply when diving.  He and Goremykin designed a wing that was uncommon for its day in being relatively thin, highly tapered, and moderately swept (18.5 degrees at the leading edge). 
In tests, the new wing did not allow the HL-7 to dive at higher speeds as was hoped.  The designers were left with the choice of designing and installing dive brakes, or giving up the idea of dive-bombing as a mission for their aircraft.  By this time, near-vertical dive bombing was becoming much less in vogue, while multipurpose ground attack aircraft became much more favored.  Consequently, the HL-7 was ordered in large numbers for the FAB for the ground attack and heavy fighter roles.  Equipped with two 20mm Oerlikon cannon produced in Brazil under Swiss license, the HL-7B was able to carry two 500 lb bombs underwing, and was the main production version.  The HL-7 also carried a single .30-calibre machine gun on a flexible mount in the rear cockpit.  Three hundred twenty HL-7Bs were built, and served with distinction in Brazil, the Gran Chaco, and Italy. 

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
Re: CNNA HL-7B Andorinha
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 01:57:45 PM »
This WHIF is the result of using the engine pods from a 1/72 Smer Me 262B-1a/U1 (actually, this is one of two such kits in my stash).  What to do with an engineless Me 262?  This model is the result of my wild imaginings.  Cutting the nose off the Me 262, the cowling from a B-25 fit surprisingly well.  I used a small portion from the top of the discarded nose section to round out the underside behind the engine.  Covered the missing engine mounts with PSR, rescribed the wings (a little) and painted.  This is my first attempt with my new airbrush I got for Christmas, and I messed up quite a bit, but learned a lot along the way.  Decals are from Aztec (from a T-6 Texan). Pretty basic whifery, but I'm pleased and I had fun.  Hope you like it!

I try to to remember to take WIP pics, but I'm terrible at it.  But here are a couple:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 02:22:56 PM »
Very nice kit bash! 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 03:23:39 PM »
Never read up on Brazil military history.  HL-7 is new to me.  Interesting story, very perceptive of Muniz to observe the birds.
HL-7 design really works.  Good of you to build it this way. :)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 11:38:07 PM »
That is brilliant!!

Good job with the airbrush too. Rule number 1-99 with an airbrush is USE IT, practice makes perfect
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 07:48:26 AM »
Wow Brazilian markings on top of an absolutely killer bash!

Totally plausible, Acree! I bet you could fool many with this beauty!

The paint work is pure eye-candy!

Brian da Basher