Author Topic: Apophenia's Offerings  (Read 905076 times)

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: Apophenia's Offerings
« Reply #900 on: November 12, 2013, 02:18:30 PM »
I like the Bf-109 forefather... :)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #901 on: November 12, 2013, 05:08:20 PM »
 :)

The M.32 looks somewhat like the Avia B.35
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 05:11:00 PM by GTX_Admin »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #902 on: November 14, 2013, 05:24:21 AM »
La Nouvelle Mode -- Low-winged Monoplane Fighters

The Germans weren't the only ones devising new low-winged monoplane fighter designs. The French led the way with the Dewoitine D.500 series. Less structurally advanced but quicker into service was the Hawker Fury Monoplane (adopted by the RAF as the Harrier Mk.I). The latter, like the He 52, was adapted from an existing biplane fighter. This, by far, became the commonest approach to producing new fighter designs.

Avions Fairey Furieux (Monoplan Firefly)

The Avions Fairey Furieux prototype was a short-lived local Belgian experiment with monoplane fighter. Originally known as the Monoplan Firefly, Avions Fairey incorporated much of the Firefly's fuselage into their Furieux design. First flown in August 1934, the prototype Furieux was written off by an Aéronautique Militaire pilot at Goetsenhoven in late September.

A second prototype was proposed but development was opposed by the parent Fairey firm. Instead, it was proposed to construct an Avions Fairey Féroce monoplane fighter based on the Fantôme biplane. Budgetary considerations ruled against this approach and imported Hawker Harriers were ordered for the Aéronautique Militaire.

Fokker D.XVIII

The Fokker D.XVIII was a relatively late entry into the low-wing monoplane fighter category. The Dutch LVA had bought Fokker D.XVI biplanes for their Jacht Vliegtuig Afdeling in late 1932. As follow-ons, Fokker trialled two inline engine fighters -- the biplane D.XVII and the monoplane D.XVIII. Deliveries of the latter began to JaVA in early 1936.

Shown is the first prototype D.XVIII temporarily fitted with a four-gun armament. One D.XVIII was experimentally fitted with an enclosed canopy and revised tailplane. That aircraft (Nr.212) retained its distinctive tail but the unpopular cockpit enclosure was quickly removed. Trial installations of French Lorraine Pétrel and Hispano Suiza 12X brs engines were also proposed but not completed (D.XVIII development being eclipsed by the more advanced Fokker D.XXI fighter).
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #903 on: November 14, 2013, 06:13:26 AM »
These look great, Apophenia.  I've always like the Fox and--while this doesn't have quite the same charm--it's certainly nice, nonetheless.  Are you planning on doing developments of these two?

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #904 on: November 14, 2013, 10:37:57 AM »
Thanks for having added an experimental canopy to the D-XVIII: without it, I do not recognize the planes personality (as far as I am concerned) ??? ;)

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #905 on: November 15, 2013, 12:07:09 AM »
The open cockpit monoplane fighters are great   :-*

Offline apophenia

« Reply #906 on: November 15, 2013, 02:27:12 AM »
Thanks folks.

Logan: The Firefly was a very jaunty little fighter. And, yeah, the monoplane loses much of its charm. No developments of these two though (but I may return to the Messerschmitt designs).
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #907 on: November 15, 2013, 02:28:32 AM »
Eastern Promise -- Low-Wing Monoplane Fighters

Avia B-235

The Avia B-35 series was intended to be a minimal modification of the B-534/III biplane fighter. Tested as a B-534 conversion, the B-135 prototype had poor stability. To preserve over-the-nose visibility, the rear fuselage of the B-135 was stretched (resulting in minimal commonality with the B-534 Series III).

The B-235 introduced a sliding cockpit canopy and twin wing-mounted vz.30 machine guns. Shown is the B-235 Series I with the original 'turtle back' canopy fairing. Pilots complained bitterly about the resulting rear blind spot. As a result, the B-235/II restored a degree of rearward visibility with its scalloped fairing.

PZL P.10

Having gleaned no orders for its inline-engined P.8 gull-winged monoplane, PZL turned its attention to a low-winged derivative. The prototype P.10/I was based on the P.8/II airframe and shared its Lorraine-Dietrich 12Hfrs Pétrel V12 (although Hispano-Suiza and Kestrel-powered variants were planned).

Demonstrated at Warsaw in late 1933, the P.10/I was rejected by the Lotnictwo Wojskowe (which preferred radial engines for its fighters). A sale tour by the P.10/I through Eastern Europe and the Balkans likewise failed to glean any orders and PZL shifted its emphasis to the Mercury IV S2-powered P.12/I prototype developed in parallel with PZL's gull-winged P.11a fighter.

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #908 on: November 15, 2013, 03:07:45 AM »
The -235 makes up for it!  Quite lovely.

Cheers,

Logan

« Reply #909 on: November 15, 2013, 08:21:15 PM »
The last 2 batches of monoplanes are all quite excellent and have their own unique charms!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #910 on: November 16, 2013, 02:55:54 AM »
I am waiting to see if there were Gloster products of the same form...

Offline apophenia

« Reply #911 on: November 16, 2013, 04:00:44 AM »
Thanks folks. Greg: I was thinking of doing some British and French variants ...

Offline apophenia

« Reply #912 on: November 16, 2013, 04:02:15 AM »
Bayerische Flugzeugwerke Under State Control

The Luftwaffe's small order for M.32A fighters was not enough to sustain Bayerische Flugzeugwerke AG. Willy Messerschmitt had taken over the firm but the Bavarian government wanted a more permanent solution. In late 1933, an arrangement was struck whereby BFW came under majority State ownership. Part of this deal was that, where suitable engine types existed, BFW would use powerplants built by the Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (which was to establish a new factory in München-Milbertshofen).

Messerschmitt had continued development of the M.32 in hopes of attracting export orders. For test purposes, the Luftwaffe returned one M.32a to BFW. The M.32's removable tailcone facilitated a series of experimental tail surfaces aimed at improving low-speed control.

More radical changes resulted in this company demonstrator being redesignated M.32J Böe (Squall). Re-engining the M.32J with a 750 hp BMW VIIaU V-12 raising the fighter's thrust line (unlike the original direct-drive BMW VI, the BMW VII had a reduction gear). Shortly afterwards, the M.32J wing was modified to accept a radical new retractable undercarriage.

Consideration was then given to re-engining the M.32J with BMW's new monoblock V-12. Although less powerful than the BMW VII, the new inverted V-12 was also much lighter. Willy Messerschmitt became convinced that the new engine (designated BMW XII and, later, BMW 116) warranted a 'clean sheet' fighter design.

The resulting M.39 Orkan (Hurricane) design bore a close resemblance to the M.32J fitted with its outward retracting landing gear. But the new fighter was slightly smaller overall and correspondingly lighter. After initial flight trials at Augsburg, the M.39a prototype was delivered to the Luftwaffe test field at Rechlin.

Comparative trials showed the M.39 (now re-designated Bf 109 V1) to be superior to the rival Heinkel He 112. As a result of these trials, the BMW 116-powered fighter was ordered into large-scale production as the Luftwaffe's standard fighter - the BFW Bf 109A-1.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #913 on: November 16, 2013, 04:08:52 AM »
I love that M.32J :)

« Reply #914 on: November 16, 2013, 07:29:11 AM »
Fascinating alternate take on history!

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #915 on: November 16, 2013, 10:06:45 AM »
Fascinating alternate take on history!
Yes, great! (for the evil side, though)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #916 on: November 16, 2013, 12:00:23 PM »
Radial-Engined Low-wing Monoplane Fighters

The Bristol Type 124 was an alternative submission for the F7/30 fighter competition. Although a monoplane, the Type 124's fuselage was clearly derived from the Type 105 Bulldog. Like Bristol's other radial-engined F7/30 submission, the Type 133, the Type 123 was powered by a 640 hp Mercury VIS2.

Ultimately, the F7/30 fighter contest was won by the Gloster Gladiator biplane. The sole Bristol Type 124 prototype was sold to the Swedish Air Force which employed it for experimental purposes (as the J7M) alongside its J7 Bulldog biplane fighters. The Type 124 was written off in a ground loop accident at Barkarby in 1937.

A more successful fighter was the 1935 Fokker D.XIX, a radial-engined development of the Fokker D.XVIII.  Ironically, Fokker had specifically developed the Mercury-engined D.XIX to replace Finland's Ilmavoimat Bulldog fighters. Although less advanced than Bristol's Type 123, in some ways, the D.XIX had wooden wings and empennage which better suited Finnish production capabilities.

VL began deliveries of locally-built D.XIXs in early 1938. Initial production models were armed with two 7.7mm Vickers machine guns synchronized to fire through the propeller. Later machines had four 7.7mm Browning guns, two of which were mounted in the wings to fire outside the propeller arc.

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #917 on: November 16, 2013, 05:28:12 PM »
Nice work on the 123!

regards
Lauhof

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #918 on: November 16, 2013, 06:34:07 PM »
The D.XIX parallels very nicely what really happened with Finnish D.XXI.
VL already knew how to build aircraft the Fokker way.
... And the real world D.XXI was about the best performing somewhat proven design that was available at the time. There were other higher performance fighters out there - but somehow they'd ended up not being available.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #919 on: November 17, 2013, 02:37:04 AM »
Nice work on the 123!

Agreed!

Maybe someone should do the same with the Hawker Fury...oh, that's right they did - it was the Hurricane. ;D

Offline apophenia

« Reply #920 on: November 18, 2013, 12:03:19 PM »
Maybe someone should do the same with the Hawker Fury...oh, that's right they did - it was the Hurricane. ;D

Are you sure ...  >:D

Hawker's Fury Monoplane - the Harrier and Harpy

The Harrier was one of three Hawker submissions for F.5/34 (Interceptor Monoplane). Initially known as the P.V.4 Fury Monoplane, this fighter used as much of the Fury biplane structure as possible. The Fury fuselage had an another bay added forward of the cockpit to accommodate a monoplane centre section stub wing. To this stub wing were attached fabric-covered outer wing panels and the cantilever landing gear legs.

Ironically, the P.V.4 monoplane was ready sooner than the competing P.V.3 biplane (which required a largely revised structure). Rather than delay F.5/34 to allow other competing biplane fighters to be finished, the Air Ministry elected to issue an immediate contract for 50 P.V.4 monoplanes as the Harrier Mk.I.

The Harrier Mk.Is were delivered with 525 hp Kestrel IIIS engines but development plans aimed at Roll-Royce's evaporatively-cooled Goshawk. Trials with the 695 hp Goshawk III produced no noticeable improvement in the Harrier's performance. As a result, attention was turned to airframe improvements with the aim of installing evaporatively-cooled Roll-Royce engine, the larger PV-12.

Harpy - The 'opped-up 'arrier from 'awkers

Although the new PV-12 was only slightly larger than the Kestrel, it was almost 500 lbs heavier. As a result, considerable redesign of the Harrier fuselage was required to restore its c/g. At the time, the RAF was moving towards a new standard machine gun chambered for Vickers' rimless 12.7x81 ammunition. At an early stage, the Hawker design team decided to place this armament in the wings outside of the propeller arch. Thus the weighty BSA 'Aircraft Gun, Heavy' armament was was partly offset by the elimination of synchronization gear.

The most radical feature adopted for the 'PV-12 Harrier' was a completely retractable main undercarriage. This gear attached to the centre section stub wing and retracted outward into the wings (inboard of the gun bays). This design was quickly adopted by the RAF under a new name -- the Harpy. Since the PV-12 engine was not yet in full production, Harpy Mk.Is were powered by Kestrel VIs. The Harpy Mk.II was the first fitted with the PV-12 (by then named Merlin B). All Harpies were armed with four .5" BSA AGH guns.

Shown is the Harpy Mk.II demonstrator G-ABSE while at Brooklands airfield for tests in Nov 1935. In March 1936, G-ABSE moved to Martlesham Heath for RAF trials.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #921 on: November 18, 2013, 03:06:52 PM »
 :)

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #922 on: November 18, 2013, 03:34:15 PM »
 :) :)

Offline PR19_Kit

• Likes to brag about how long his...wings are.
  • Made it at last!
« Reply #923 on: November 18, 2013, 07:09:58 PM »
VERY clever indeed! And interesting change to the almost usual 'Spitfire heritage' stories.  :)

And those two just cry out to be built in plastic, maybe with the new Airfix Hurricane I as a root.
Regards
Kit

--------------------------
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

« Reply #924 on: November 18, 2013, 11:17:31 PM »
Nice! Especially the Bristol 123!