Author Topic: OOB - Out Of the Bag/Blister/Box Builds  (Read 2069 times)

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
OOB - Out Of the Bag/Blister/Box Builds
« on: May 24, 2020, 09:33:44 AM »
It's been a while since I posted here, been pretty busy with life in general.

I was getting a bit overwhelmed with including as much detail and accuracy in my current scale builds and believable details in my Whiff builds as possible. I was having to force it, not fun. I needed a way to relax and still build as I was avoiding my workbench  :o.
I came across an old folder of mine from a very long time ago. Back when I were a lad I joined a local model club in 1975  :o to help grow my modelling skills and get to yak to like minded people (there were girls in the club too  :D ).

The club had a particular type of build, a very strict "From the Box" comp throughout the year. And after reading through a couple of pages of hints and tips and other trivia I came across the pages for the "From the Box" builds and the rules long forgotten by meself.

Being I like old kits (I have a "few" in the stash) and as I said I was stressing about my flock of current builds and the difficulties I had created for myself with advanced cases of Researchitis and AMS, a germ of an idea started.

The most relaxing way I could think of was to build a few models without embellishment OOB as it were, no stress, just build, paint etc. Didn't actually work out that way in the long run but help it most definitely has.

First off, the rules for an Out Of the Bag/Blister/Box build, (slightly edited by me to make it a bit clearer than originally written)

1) Build with ONLY what is in the box, NO additional pieces allowed,

2) ONLY use a paint colour scheme from the kit's instructions, using the colour call outs provided. I've had to make a small change to this rule as it is not possible to use the paints specified by many older kits as the manufacturers may no longer exist or the particular paint range is no longer manufactured and readily available so I can use modern day equivalents to the original paint colours.

3) Only use the kit provided decals,

4) Weathering is allowed,

5) Varnishes are allowed, (not something you saw back then often in the land of "silvering" and after a while "falling off" decals),

6) Use the best skills and techniques possible to get the best result from the model,

7) Above all, HAVE FUN!!!!

So I selected three suitably "old" models from the stash, and over a period of weeks started them. Although the builds ran into months with some "challenges" along the way, along with trying out new and or modified techniques to attempt to get the best out of these old kits I actually had fun too.  :smiley: There will be more builds added to this thread over time from different manufacturers all built to the above rules.

They were all Airfix 1/72 scale kits from the 60's and 70's, two Blister Packs (1973? or so) and an original Baggie from 1965, one of the mold tools even comes from 1958!

I actually used some of my dwindling stock of Airfix and Humbrol Authentics paints to do these and try to stay as faithful to the instructions as possible.
Some of my stocks of Airfix and Humbrol Authentics,
DSC01218cropSml by Neil, on Flickr
DSC01219cropSml by Neil, on Flickr

First off,
Airfix 1-72scale Focke Wulf Fw 190D "TD+X1" Kit 01021-0, the 1958 mold, started 01Dec2019, finished 09May2020 (a blister pack kit issued in 1973?). Still not sure if the model's meant to be a D-9 or D-13 and no one knows what the proper factory radio code should be as "TD+X1" doesn't exist and "TD+XI" cannot be found. This Fw IS the weird one as it really is misshapen, especially in side elevation to start with not to mention the HUGE panel lines, odd little spinner and narrow propeller blades etc etc, Aifix paints were used where applicable and they still airbrush very nicely,
167. Finish by Neil, on Flickr
166. Finish by Neil, on Flickr
169. Finish by Neil, on Flickr
173. Finish by Neil, on Flickr
174. Finish by Neil, on Flickr
176. Finish by Neil, on Flickr
180. Finish by Neil, on Flickr
186. Finish by Neil, on Flickr
190. Finish by Neil, on Flickr
192. Finish by Neil, on Flickr
199. Finish by Neil, on Flickr
203. Finish by Neil, on Flickr
206. FinishOOB by Neil, on Flickr

And lastly 50years or so between these two builds of mine,
fiftyoneYearsC by Neil, on Flickr

Thanks for looking gents  :smiley:
The other two built so far very soon, the WIFEU's calling  ;)
Regards all  :icon_beer: :icon_beer: Stay Safe  :))
FAA  8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline FAAMAN

Re: OOB - Out Of the Bag/Blister/Box Builds
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 01:26:11 PM »
The second OOB build.

Airfix 1/72 scale Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6/R2 "Yellow3" 1965 issue Baggie Patt.No.85. Built 24Dec2019 - 15May2020. It doesn't really say "G-6/R2" on the header but that's what this version of "Gustav" is with the pair of Wfr. Gr.21 rocket tubes under the wings. It's not a very accurate "Gustav", it isn't the best by a long shot but it used to be the only game in town and at least it is recognizably a "Gustav" sort of, plus it's one of my most fave Airfix kits and I've done a few over the years. I still have several of this kit in the stash to do, a few more will be OOB builds to cover the versions the kit does. I had a lot of issues with this build and it's very lucky to have made it to being finished. Not as bad as the problems I had with the FW but not fun. The most annoying thing was the new Airfix decals I had to buy as the kit's decals were unusable weren't very god either. Out of register, stiff and refusing to take to the model with a very annoying 'flim' over them that got everywhere and needed to be removed before the decals could even be placed, they would not conform to the model even with very warm water, Decal Set and Future. Got rid of as much silvering as possible. Anyway, I think this model came out better than the FW but there's a fair bit of room for improvement,
0138. Finish1 by Neil, on Flickr
0139. Finish2 by Neil, on Flickr
0143. Finish6 by Neil, on Flickr
0146. Finish9 by Neil, on Flickr
0149. Finish12 by Neil, on Flickr
0156. Finish19 by Neil, on Flickr
0154. Finish17 by Neil, on Flickr
0163. Finish26 by Neil, on Flickr
0173. Finish37 by Neil, on Flickr
0181. Finish45 by Neil, on Flickr
0184. Finish48 by Neil, on Flickr
0189. Finish53 by Neil, on Flickr
0191. Finish55 by Neil, on Flickr
0199. Finish63 by Neil, on Flickr

Thanks again for looking,
Regards all  :icon_beer: :icon_beer: Be Safe  :smiley: :smiley:
FAA  8) 8)

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 01:44:30 PM »
And lastly, for the moment anyway,
IMHO the best of the OOB builds, so far . . . .

Airfix 1/72 scale YAK 9-D "White 31" KitNo. 01034-6 1973 blister pack. Built 30Dec2019 -19May2020. The easiest in some ways of this first three OOB builds. The worst thing was the national markings broke up the instant they hit the water, funnily enough the "31" numerals went on OK, needed a lot of help and still silvered a bit but a least they worked after a fashion. I had to airbrush the stars using the surviving decals as templates. Still I think it's the best of the three and I'm very happy with it,
0098. Finished4 by Neil, on Flickr
0101. Finished7 by Neil, on Flickr
0105. Finished11 by Neil, on Flickr
0109. Finished16 by Neil, on Flickr
119. Finish26 by Neil, on Flickr
138. Finish45 by Neil, on Flickr
122. Finish29 by Neil, on Flickr
130. Finish37 by Neil, on Flickr
128. Finish35 by Neil, on Flickr
147. Finish54 by Neil, on Flickr
149. Finish56 by Neil, on Flickr
151. Finish58 by Neil, on Flickr

Thanks for looking,
Regards all  :icon_beer: :icon_beer: Be Safe  :smiley: :smiley:
FAA  8) 8)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 02:54:22 PM »
 :smiley: :smiley:

nice work on the way kits were.

Love the spinning prop on the 109 build.. just a free spinning/unglueified prop using a air source directed at the prop ?

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 03:04:12 PM »
FW-190 & Me-109 seem 1/48 to me.  Like war time in use look of all and OOB simplicity.  :smiley:  :smiley:  :smiley:     Air brushed those stars !   :o  :smiley:
Intro says a lot,,,  e.g. #7) Above all, HAVE FUN!!!!
Leaning to Me-109 as favorite.

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 03:52:28 PM »
Thankyou for the comments gents  :smiley:
Buzzbomb the '109's prop spin is actually a repair due to assembly damage. It's made from brass rod and tube with a polystyrene attachment tube with a touch of oil, and then an airbrush turned up,

0067. PropRepairB by Neil, on Flickr
0071, PropRepair by Neil, on Flickr
0070. PropTestC by Neil, on Flickr

Hope that answers your question Buzz. The FW's spinning prop is exactly how Airfix wanted it, a tiny touch of grease and careful assembly. The YAK's is still a bit stiff, greased or not and refuses to turn freely.

Finsrin, I'm torn between the '109 and the YAK as my fave. Just a point of interest, there is actually no such thing as an "Me-109", it is a misnomer. They were called "Bf" in honour of Messerschmitt's "Bavarian Flug Werk". Most Messerschmitt aircraft were "Me" except for the '109.

And yes I did have fun  :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 03:59:21 PM »
Great mojo-boosters, there, old mate! :smiley:

Personal fave is the Yak. 8)

Good job on the stars! :))
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 02:44:01 AM »
Great mojo-boosters, there, old mate! :smiley:

Yup, excellent ground rule. Constrain, simplify, have fun  :smiley:

Impossible for me to pick a favorite - there's just too much nostalgia here. Built all three of 'em a few times back in the day (albeit not anywhere near as well as you have). Great stuff!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 02:16:03 PM »
Thanks for that Gents  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Told you I'd get 'em done sooner or later Wombat old son.  ;)
Glad you like the YAK, I'm not going to do another so it had to be good (in my eyes anyway). I think it has the nicest most believable finish (albeit completely wrong colours) of the three, but the '109, wrong shapes and all, just looks lethal and cool. So still not sure of a fave but I'm happy with the three of 'em  :smiley:
Thought you would recognise the original FW in the 50 years apart photo.

Apophenia I know I had built all at one time or another for school mates etc but I just can't remember the details. I'm glad they've bought back fond memories for you of your younger days  :smiley:

Here's the three of them together,
DSC01656cropS by Neil, on Flickr
DSC01655cropS by Neil, on Flickr

Regards all  :icon_beer:
FAA  8)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 10:39:52 PM »
Mate, you had so many models hanging around your room I get dizzy just thinking about it! :o
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 12:17:37 AM »
Those old kits came out great!

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 12:22:24 PM »
There wasn't that many Wombat, not as many as there should've been  ;) ;)
Still, I'm glad you like the OOBs mate, they were a lot of fun  :smiley:
Thank you Frank3K, glad you like 'em  :smiley:
I'm just deciding on a new "longer term" OOB build, there are a "few" candidates as yet, the shortlist looks like someone's full size stash list  :o ;D