Author Topic: Early Sherman II  (Read 6830 times)

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
Early Sherman II
« on: October 26, 2013, 02:56:25 AM »
Tasca kit. Only AM stuff I used was a metal barrel,and Formations ride spacers on the bogies. The paint looks to yellow to me. It is a Tamiya mix of three paints. I think it should be more light tan-ish.

At least I am getting a little better at photos and weathering. :o

Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Early Sherman II
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 03:03:32 AM »
It's a real treat to see a Sherman in desert colors and you've really done this one proud, Zod!

The details are especially nice, particularly the turret-mounted machine gun.

Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 03:13:26 AM »
It's a real treat to see a Sherman in desert colors and you've really done this one proud, Zod!

The details are especially nice, particularly the turret-mounted machine gun.

Brian da Basher

Thanks Brian. :)
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 04:05:17 AM »
Lovely! Smooth build and smooth paint .........  I've yet to build a Tasca kit yet but they do look good.   :icon_beer: :icon_beer:

As to the yellow I wouldn't sweat it, it looks a close match for fresh Light Stone 61 and the sun does weird stuff to paint so there's a huge variation of possibilities.  For me I tend to start much lighter (more like Portland Stone) and build in a very subtle pink tint with my shading, but thats just my personal taste.  I also do my Caunter slightly differently to the Mike Starmer regulations just because I like certain colours .....

Brent

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 04:24:44 AM »
Lovely! Smooth build and smooth paint .........  I've yet to build a Tasca kit yet but they do look good.   :icon_beer: :icon_beer:

As to the yellow I wouldn't sweat it, it looks a close match for fresh Light Stone 61 and the sun does weird stuff to paint so there's a huge variation of possibilities.  For me I tend to start much lighter (more like Portland Stone) and build in a very subtle pink tint with my shading, but thats just my personal taste.  I also do my Caunter slightly differently to the Mike Starmer regulations just because I like certain colours .....

Brent
Thanks Brent. The Tasca bogie units can be a bit time consuming,but other than that,they are great.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 04:31:41 AM »
Looks great!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 04:32:38 AM »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 05:09:11 AM »
Chad, I would not worry too much about the colour as it is an ever-changing and elusive thing to get it to match anything even when you have the real colour chip in your hand and a container of the actual paint.  Weathering from the wind, sand storms, rain, and even the wash rack will take their toll on the finish so no need to fret over it.  I like how it looks and it is not very often you get to see a British Sherman sporting the bulls-eye on the turret roof.  I wonder how many of the real tankers thought of it in that fashion and did what they could to obscure it from observation just to lessen their chances of being detected from the air. 

"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 05:10:32 AM »
Chad, I would not worry too much about the colour as it is an ever-changing and elusive thing to get it to match anything even when you have the real colour chip in your hand and a container of the actual paint.  Weathering from the wind, sand storms, rain, and even the wash rack will take their toll on the finish so no need to fret over it.  I like how it looks and it is not very often you get to see a British Sherman sporting the bulls-eye on the turret roof.  I wonder how many of the real tankers thought of it in that fashion and did what they could to obscure it from observation just to lessen their chances of being detected from the air.

Thanks Jeffry. Sometimes I get a wee bit anal.  ;)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 05:12:23 AM »
Thanks Jeffry. Sometimes I get a wee bit anal.  ;)
Which is why we are all here is it not? ;)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Jacques Deguerre

• Older and fatter but not wiser.
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 11:15:41 AM »
Very nice work! I've always had a bit of soft spot in my heart for the early DV M4A1 with the M3 style bogies. I always enjoy seeing nicely built models of. them

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 11:24:04 AM »
Top Notch work! I love the roundel on top. I Wouldn't change a thing about the color, looks like it fits like a glove to me.

Also, I need to learn about the various Sherman types  :-[
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 02:06:57 AM »
The Light Stone is pretty spot on, so I wouldn't change a thing.

Top Notch work! I love the roundel on top. I Wouldn't change a thing about the color, looks like it fits like a glove to me.

Also, I need to learn about the various Sherman types  :-[
As for Sherman types, ask away. I'm not a total expert, but I do know a fair amount and have access to all the best references. I can certainly get you going if you are not asking too many esoteric questions. :)

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 05:14:46 AM »
Thanks everyone. This was my first Tasca Sherman. Other than the bogies being a bit fiddly,it went together real well. I did shorten the kit tracks by one link. I have heard that the Tasca tracks do not hold paint well. These did.