Author Topic: The Westland Whicker - A Cryptic Tale in 1/72 Scale  (Read 4792 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
The Westland Whicker - A Cryptic Tale in 1/72 Scale
« on: March 17, 2018, 10:10:32 PM »

After the failure of the Whirlwind,

the Air Ministry provided the Westland firm with a consolation prize in the form of a contract for a high-speed transport.

The new aircraft was certainly very sleek and looked fast just sitting still. Powered by two Merlin engines, it was able to out-pace even the famous De Havilland Mosquito in tests.

This speed led to the prototype being given the moniker Whicker which was a misunderstanding of a bystander's rural vernacular for "She's wicked fast!" 

While never produced in great numbers, the Westland Whicker was appreciated nonetheless for its dispatch in delivering high-priority, often top-secret, cargo. Many clandestine missions were flown for the Special Operations Executive.

The Allies had advanced steadily on all fronts after the D-Day landings. Much of their success was due to cracking the German Enigma machine codes.

The Germans were so convinced of their own infallability that it took them two years to figure out their "unbreakable" codes had been compromised.

This would force them to deploy a device of bewildering complexity.

This may have been why the fronts stalemated in Europe as 1946 began. Or it could have been the bulk shipments of alcohol to the theatre, but correlation does not necessarily equal causation.

The allies were stalled at the Oder river in the east and at the Rhine in the west. Clearly the new enemy codes had to be broken and this meant stealing an E-Stigma. Some serious spying was called for. Luckily the Special Operations Executive felt they had just the right man for the job.

At first recruiting a journalist for a secret mission might seem risky, but perhaps this particular individual was chosen for his uncanny ability to blend in.

This man of incredible diction and ability managed to obtain an E-Stigma from resistance contacts inside the Deutschefunkenradgeschellshaft (gesundheit). He then personally took delivery of the machine and boarded a Westland Whicker which landed in the dead of night behind enemy lines for the pick-up.

The aircraft soon arrived back on Allied territory and now the enemy codes could be broken.

However, by mid-1946, the Allies had broken through on all fronts after the alcohol dried up. Unable to withstand this onslaught of sobriety, Germany surrendered unconditionally just as the analysts at Bletchley Park figured out the E-Stigma.

Despite this notable role in the war effort, the Westland Whicker was soon forgotten as it was replaced by more newer types. However, this high-speed transport's brief moment in the spotlight would presage the greater fame of its lone passenger by two decades.

No Westland Whickers survive today and the so-called "experts" insist this all must be the cryptic inner workings of some dark imagination they cannot decipher.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 11:17:05 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: The Westland Whicker - A Cryptic Tale in 1/72 Scale
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 11:03:53 PM »
This one is a real Frankenplane and the parts are spread across the three main scales.

I used the fuselage from a 1/72 Ju-88, wings from a 1/72 Me-210, nose, engines & props from a 1/72 Mosquito, front canopy from a 1/72 Blenheim, fin & rudder from a 1/48 P-40 and horiz stabs from a 1/144 B-17. Here's how it all looked before paint.

Speaking of paint, here's the state-of-play just before I put the markings on.

The old hairy stick was trotted out and loaded up with Model Masters Light Sea Gray acrylic. The windows were done in Insignia Blue with a gloss top coat and the props with Black and the tips in Insignia Yellow. Model Masters Jet Exhaust was used on the exhausts.

The decals were a mix from spares and spanned all three major scales as well.

The wing roundels and white fuselage codes are in 1/48, the fin flashes, fuselage roundels and black codes are 1/72 and the windows and hatches in 1/144.

I had a blast putting this beast together over the past week. I'd like to thank Mr Gimper for passing along the 1/48 parts & decals when we met up last fall.

Before I forget, here's a couple of "money shots" (U.S. penny for scale):

I'd like to thank Mr Gimper for the parts & decals, Mr Tomcat for moderating this GB and those of you playing along or just stopping by to take a look.

I hope you enjoyed the Westland Whicker and reading about another forgotten aircraft that's been whicked into the dustbin of history.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 11:20:34 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 12:58:29 AM »
Absolute masterclass in in whiffery and plastic surgery, really good looking result, nice one Brian  :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 04:36:59 AM »
Absolute masterclass in in whiffery and plastic surgery, really good looking result, nice one Brian  :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:
+1

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 04:49:53 AM »
Love it -----   :-* :-* :-*

Whicker's World --- now that brought back memories ----   :smiley:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 09:06:23 AM »
Wow!  That was an amazing back story to your most amazing scale-o-rama project yet. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 04:44:34 PM »
I used the fuselage from a 1/72 Ju-88, wings from a 1/72 Me-210, nose, engines & props from a 1/72 Mosquito, front canopy from a 1/72 Blenheim, fin & rudder from a 1/48 P-40 and horiz stabs from a 1/144 B-17.
What a mix! Congratulations! :-*
I was feeling unable to guess which kit(s) this was coming from, and reading the answer, almost incredible, I understand I was unable to guess ;)

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 09:51:53 PM »
Great!  Genius as usual !

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 04:18:07 AM »
Exquisite.  A perfect combination of bits n bobs,  and a great story.

Ian.

(It is rumoured in the U.K. That a prop used in the restoration of a mkVI at Hatfield hall, is from a whicker. Just a rumour?)
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 05:16:01 PM »
Done it again.  All those go together to make convincing Westland Whicker. :smiley:
Mosquito engines are only part I might have guessed correctly.
Scale-O-Rama tail goes together perfect.
Has quite a story to it too.

Offline John Howling Mouse

• The King Of Absurdia
  • Have vacformer, will travel.
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 09:12:13 AM »
Brian, as great as your modeling skills are, I think you missed your true calling.  You should be professionally employed writing satire, whether literary fiction or screenwriting!  At any rate: yes another terrific build of a clever concept.  I just don't know where you come up with all these great ideas.  I'm often left wondering "why didn't I think of that?"
Saving the globe from plastic pollution one kitbashed model at a time.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 10:54:54 AM »
Good to see you back, Mr. Mouse.

Offline Antonio Sobral

• Building and painting tiny little things!
  • Greetings from Portugal
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 05:13:57 PM »
A convincing story allied with great photographic evidence!

The Whicker Witch of the Westland :)

Thanks for sharing!