Author Topic: MiG-3 Spanish Civil War  (Read 2916 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
MiG-3 Spanish Civil War
« on: October 22, 2018, 09:31:20 AM »

MiG-3 of the Spanish Republican air force Casas Viejas flight, 3rd battle of Jarama March, 1942.

These aircraft would continue to serve until replaced by Yak-1s.

The MiG-3s of the Casas Viejas flight were famous for their defense of Madrid and eventually taking back control of the air around the Spanish capitol.

Only one Spanish Republican MiG-3 survives and is currently on exhibit at the Museo de las Fuerzas Aéreas de la República Española in Toledo.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 09:33:35 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: MiG-3 Spanish Civil War
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 09:49:00 AM »
This all started when a good friend sent me a 1/72 Red Star MiG-3 kit (thanks a million, hamsterman!). While it was a bagged kit, the header card art was most impressive.

The paint guide was pretty nice too.

The instructions seem good too even if I didn't end up needing them.

Honestly though, before opening it up, I wasn't expecting much. I figured this must be a re-pop of some Eastern bloc kit of murky origin.

Boy was I surprised.

I don't know if you can tell by this sprue shot, but this kit was very close to a Special Hobby or similar excellent short-run type kit. While there's no locating pins, the molding is very well done. The only filler used was a thin bead around the wing roots. The tolerances of the landing gear doors and horiz stabs were so fine I almost didn't need glue. This made me feel much better about building it completely OOB.

One of the nice things about Spanish Republican markings is that they're pretty easy to paint if you can manage almost-straight lines. Paints used were Polly Scale Pine Green and Model Masters Flat Black on top. The canopy was tinted on the inside with Polly Scale RLM-something Lichtblau.

The underside was done with Polly Scale Light Blue. Model Masters Jet Exhaust was used on the exhausts. Model Masters Insignia Red & Yellow along with Polly Scale PA RR Maroon were used for the markings. The codes were all from spares and I felt like I hit the jackpot when I found those white CVs in the stash for the Casas Viejas flight insignia.

It took me about four days to build this great MiG-3 kit and it was a blast the entire time!

Before I forget, here's the "money shot" (U.S. penny for scale).

I'd like to thank Bill for his kindness in sending me this cool little kit! I couldn't have done it without you!

I'd also like to thank Mr Jello for moderating this GB and the rest of you playing along or just stopping by to look.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 10:10:36 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 10:02:26 AM »
Didn't take time to appreciate lines of Mig-3 until seeing this build.  And again you devised a right color scheme. :smiley:

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 10:30:02 AM »
Beautiful!!

If memory serves me correctly, the "Red Star" kits were based on molds developed shortly before Frog went under but never used by them.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 03:02:49 PM »
Brilliant idea
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 05:49:57 PM »
Nice build Brian, looks cool

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............