Author Topic: 1/35 E-KAT  (Read 3805 times)

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
Re: 1/35 E-KAT
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2023, 02:29:39 AM »
Very nice!

If Nigel moves any farther forward, we're going to start called him "No Jewels"

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think the camel back modification works very well. What about hanging a pair of spare tires at the center point to deal with the grounding issue?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2023, 03:20:19 AM »
I used some of the  teracruzer tires Jeff set me:

Nigel's jewels seem better protected. He's ready for the Monster Truck competition this Sunday Sunday Sunday! (He just needs to grow a mullet) :

I think I'll go with these. Thanks, Jeff!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2023, 04:03:16 AM »
Yay!  That does make a difference using the TeraCruzer tires on the E-Kat,  Definitely need to find a suitable wheel hub for the TeraCruzer tires. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2023, 07:30:45 AM »
Looks good!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2023, 05:29:51 PM »
 :smiley: 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2023, 06:10:24 PM »
Chunky works

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2023, 12:00:30 AM »
Looks cool with those fat tires.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2023, 01:44:46 AM »
I think I've finished this one. It's languished on my bench for too long. I was going to weather it some more, but I just ran out of my motivation budget for this build and didn't want to take out a loan.

Drone eye view. Unimpressed French Guy and The Inspector standing next to a clean vehicle, before a quick run across the wasteland. The fan over the battery is from an armor kit:

The two rearmost seats and cargo area are loaded with supplies. The box is a printout of a box I found online, the Pelican-like case is from Meng; the rest are resin bits from Value Gear details. The two sand mats/plates are RB Marsden Matting Photo-etch:

The roll cage extension to the front as well as the steps are copper wire. The instrument panel has a display, but it didn't photograph well:

The cargo in front is Meng, Value Gear and a printed cardboard box. The straps are just Tamiya tape:

The hubs on the big wheels are from an AMT 1/32 Show Rods kit:

There's probably only 50-60% of original SandKat kit in this build. The front cargo scoop was a spare random part from the kit. Thanks to Jeff for sending me the Terracruzer  tires!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2023, 05:54:50 AM »
That extra little detail on the TerraCruzer wheels really makes a difference.  Looks like it is ready for a bit of overlanding in the outback. 

***Just realized what your battery cooling fan started out as.  The cooling fan from an M113 (Academy or Tamiya). 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 05:58:04 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2023, 06:48:08 AM »
Big nearly always seem to work. The big wheels set this off.

Be pretty bouncy I would guess, but quick.

Very nicely don

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2023, 09:20:00 AM »
Yep, I like that! Great bit of work there, Frank! :smiley: :smiley: 8)

Something you might expect to see on the silver screen racing across a post-apocalyptic American desert with Jan-Michael Vincent at the wheel. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2023, 10:40:55 AM »
Thanks, guys!

***Just realized what your battery cooling fan started out as.  The cooling fan from an M113 (Academy or Tamiya).

It's the engine fan from the original Tamiya M113 with interior. i parted most of it out or used it in other builds.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2023, 07:48:55 PM »
Great job! Is he getting a ticket?

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2023, 08:30:17 PM »
That is *chef's kiss* perfect-o! Looks like it make some serious rooster tails tearing across the wastelands.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2023, 09:59:20 PM »

Nah, The Inspector determines build and theme quality. "Hmmm.... project took far longer than planned. Considerable deviation from original design and plan. Original kit mostly superseded by other parts. 3D printed parts were a failed detour and waste of time. Big tires....hmmm... let's see here...yes... yes... they saved the day..."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2023, 10:11:24 PM »

Nah, The Inspector determines build and theme quality. "Hmmm.... project took far longer than planned. Considerable deviation from original design and plan. Original kit mostly superseded by other parts. 3D printed parts were a failed detour and waste of time. Big tires....hmmm... let's see here...yes... yes... they saved the day..."

Could be an OSHA Inspection. The rear cargo isn't properly secured.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2023, 11:00:05 PM »
"but it is, officer! It's glued down or jammed in!"

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2023, 10:23:47 AM »
Dang that's nice! And Jeff's Terracruzer tires are also the dog's round parts  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2023, 06:55:42 AM »
Whoa, those figures are terrific!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2023, 08:31:27 AM »
Thanks! The guy in the jeans and t-shirt is a 3D scan of a real person. The figure is sold by ReddOak from France. The "Inspector" is mostly from an ICM set of Russians in Afghanistan, with a resin head.

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2023, 12:35:51 AM »
Great concept and beautifully executed… The guy (driver) in jeans looks incredibly realistic but it’s the painting and finish that makes the whole thing pop. Outstanding!  :smiley: 8)
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!