Author Topic: T-6 Racers!  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
T-6 Racers!
« on: June 25, 2017, 01:34:31 PM »
With the kind permission of Apophenia, I present my take on a couple of inline powered T-6 racers: 
First, real life:  These two entered into the 1947 National Air Races Halle Race for women.  Number 61 was the actual XAT-6E prototype.  It was to be flown in the race by Margaret "Mickey" McGrath.  In the 1947 race, Mickey either did not start or pulled out after 1 lap when her gear would not retract (depending on which source you choose to believe).  Number 49 was built as a production AT-6D but modified for racing with a Ranger V-770).  It was flown in the 1947 Halle Race by Dori Marland (Hollywood actress and former WASP squadron commander).  Dori definitely started, but dropped out with engine problems after 3 laps. 
Slide1 by cacree, on Flickr
The second pic shows race number 61 as modified for the 1948 Halle Race - this is definitely NOT real world!  Mickey McGrath had #61 modified with a single-seat cockpit, flying from the rear seat for better aerodynamics.  The stock AT-6 windscreen was moved aft and fitted with a custom made blown plexiglass canopy.  The only other modification was a fairing fitted to the tailwheel. 
Slide2 by cacree, on Flickr
Finally, in 1948, the two Ranger powered rivals met again, but with much more radical modifications.  Number 61 now had a much more streamlined custom canopy fitted, and the vertical fin and rudder were both shortened to reduce drag.  A retractable tailwheel from a P-51 was also fitted.  Meanwhile, #49 received the entire tail unit from a P-51 (but with AT-6 horizontal surfaces in order to abide by Halle Race rules).  Both aircraft were some 20-25 knots faster than any other AT-6 in the field and came first and second in the 1949 race, after which they were both banned by the simple expedient of writing a requirement for an R-1340 engine into the rules. 
Slide3 by cacree, on Flickr

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: T-6 Racers!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 02:13:15 PM »
 :-* Wow! Nice!

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 03:23:46 PM »
Brilliant!
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 05:23:30 PM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 06:52:35 PM »
I especially like the 1949 versions,nice job man! :)
Alex

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 05:18:42 AM »
Those are all very tasty Chuck  :) But your 1948 version with the swoopy canopy and Mustang tail is truly gorgeous  :-*
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 05:46:32 AM »
Those are all very tasty Chuck  :) But your 1948 version with the swoopy canopy and Mustang tail is truly gorgeous  :-*

Must agree with the good apophenia here! The sleeker the better!

Brian da Basher