Author Topic: Douglas DC-2, DC-3 and derivatives Ideas and Inspiration  (Read 43429 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Douglas DC-2, DC-3 and derivatives Ideas and Inspiration
« on: March 02, 2012, 08:46:09 AM »
Share your ideas or comments on this aircraft type here. 

Some on-line sources for the DC-3 and derivatives from Wikipedia:

Douglas DC-3
Douglas C-47 Skytrain
Basler BT-67
Showa/Nakajima L2D
Lisunov Li-2 and PS-84
Douglas AC-47 Spooky

Click for larger image

(Image source: NASA Dryden Flight Research Center - EG-0016-01 via Wikipedia)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Something that is not found in most historical summaries for this aircraft

RC-47 Project Hawkeye
Source: http://www.koreanwar.org/html/units/usaf/11trs.htm

On the 19th February, 1957 the RC-47 proposal was put to Far East Air Forces with the stipulation that the aircraft could only carry oblique cameras and would not perform a vertical mission. The proposal was accepted and two C-47s were assigned for modification and to commence operations in July, 1957.  In fact operations did not begin until September as the two aircraft would not be ready before then. 

The basic modification for the RC-47D was the installation of a K-38, 36-inch oblique camera at the rearmost window just forward of the main service door.  The framework to hold the camera was easily removed so as to allow the aircraft to return to its transport function.  An adjustable screw also enabled a camera angle of between 23.5 and 32 degrees to be selected.  The cockpit contained the switches for the camera power and the intervalometer.  The aircraft was fitted with a drift meter which was installed on the left of the aircraft as the photo flights were made from west to east.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:51:23 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Re: Douglas DC-2, DC-3 and derivatives Ideas and Inspiration
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 11:46:36 AM »
RC-47 Project Hawkeye
Source: http://www.koreanwar.org/html/units/usaf/11trs.htm
the stipulation that the aircraft could only carry oblique cameras and would not perform a vertical mission.
quote]

A vertical take-off DC-3 ?? :icon_surprised:

Here's my Russian Li-XU2 Maritime Patrol -- one of a dozen heavily modified DC-3s I'm doing ...

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:27:11 PM »
R-2800 or 3350 engines.  A jet engine under each wing (from P2 Neptune).  More streamlined B-29 or He-111 nose.  B-17 chin turret.  On top of Li-UX2 modifications.   :)
Bill

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 08:25:01 AM »
curse you, Bill ... as if I don't have enough ideas bubbling up at the moment :icon_nif:

Now I'll just have to do a Strato-Dak with those 3350's & jet-pods :)

Just found this ..... DC-3 fitted with Chevy wheels (for an advert).
http://www.douglasdc3.com/chevy/chevy.htm

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:41:43 AM by raafif »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 12:05:51 PM »
Well, there's the "Super DC-3" C-117/R4D-8 to play with for engine upgrades and the like and there was a thread over on the Special Projects site concerning a Fokker proposal for a bomber derivative (with rather less change that embodied in the B-23).  I wonder how a DC-3 would do with a C-46 style nose and cockpit and full pressurization?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 12:36:56 PM »
Need that extra little bit of power or speed...try the Hump Buster:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 03:48:15 PM »
AC-47 but use the Super DC-3 as the base aircraft instead.   
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 07:08:17 AM »
my Jet Dakota ...

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 10:29:23 AM »
I'm certain some Dakotas had Bristol made engines and were used by Coastal Command and sported the tail seen on the Super DC-3.
  At least that's what my Monogram C-47 will have  :icon_music: :icon_music: :icon_music:
 :icon_fsm:
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 11:22:54 AM »
Jet-Dakota is way cool concept and doable as kit-bash.   8)
Starting with 1/72 DC-3 --- what do you think --- 1/48 F-86 or 1/72 B-66 wings used outboard of prop engines ?
Of course cutting back wing roots for correct sizing where they connect to DC-3 wing.
Then nose and tail modifications etc....
Bill

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 11:32:47 AM »
Centaurus engines with 5-bladed props, Daryl?  That would be something different.

As something  bit different, how about stretching the center section to add another engine on each side and doing a constant section stretch both ahead of and bbehind the wing to do an early iteration toward a DC-4 or a tail-dragger alternative design.

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 02:32:01 PM »
Funny you say that.   I just today bought two Monogram C-47 Skytrains with that very concept in mind as the kit has nearly a constant section through the passenger compartment....not a DC-3, not a Super DC-3, not a DC-4, well suited to Alaska, the Yukon, Columbia, Congo, Cambodia, and an IPMS cat. 820.     Kit engines, but AC-47 props, Super DC-3 tail.    Nose gear optional.
Cargo?
Missileer?
Gunship?
Antishipping?
Antisubmarine?
Antarctic duties?
Beer Wagon?   Geeze...paint it up with Johnnie Walker Black Label or Knob Creek Bourbon livery.   Sippin' Samantha nose art.

Russian version sporting left over cowling covers and spinners from the Eduard I-16 kit.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 02:52:47 PM by Daryl J. »
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 03:20:43 PM »
Centaurus engines would be pushing it a bit from a weight standpoint, however the 600/700 series Hercules
civil engines with the rear-swept exhausts would be an interesting alternative. The Bristol Freighter series 31 and 32
used the 1,980 hp Hercules 734 with rear-swept exhausts and 'free-exit' cowling, basically open all around the rear with stub exhausts.

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 12:04:09 AM »
I should have some spare Freighter cowlings somewhere in the stash if I can find them ----  ;)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 02:40:27 AM »
A DC-3 so-equipped would end up a bit like a Vickers Valetta:

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 11:37:17 AM »
A DC-3 so-equipped would end up a bit like a Vickers Valetta:

My take on a Hercules Dakota (based on a photo by Phil Vabre). Might need a little more fin/rudder?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 02:37:08 PM »
 :)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 04:44:42 PM »
How about an inline engined DC-3?

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 03:59:25 AM »
One of the ideas I've had for a while is to put either 2600's off a B-25 or a pair of 2800's on it.   Reshape the wing outboard the engines to have much less sweep and put a Super DC-3 tail on it.   Presumably the CG will be shifted quite a bit forward so adding some length aft the CG would also be on the docket.     It'd be a lot of work but might make for an interesting variant of Puff the Magic Dragon or an early Tour Antarctica machine, somewhat in the Grab-the-JMN's style.   

Now that the Ventura is out with its misshapen cowls, that aircraft would be a perfect donor methinks.   
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 04:06:54 AM »
How about an inline engined DC-3?
One of the ideas I've had for a while is to put either 2600's off a B-25 or a pair of 2800's on it.   Reshape the wing outboard the engines to have much less sweep and put a Super DC-3 tail on it.   Presumably the CG will be shifted quite a bit forward so adding some length aft the CG would also be on the docket.     It'd be a lot of work but might make for an interesting variant of Puff the Magic Dragon or an early Tour Antarctica machine, somewhat in the Grab-the-JMN's style.   

Now that the Ventura is out with its misshapen cowls, that aircraft would be a perfect donor methinks.

I was thinking about both of these concepts but remained undecided on what engine cowling to use for the representation of engine type. 

As far as using the R-2800 or R-2600 you have several source kits for the cowlings and engine.  Either would be great.  Perhaps scavenging a pair of R-3350 cowlings and engines from the A-1 Skyraider (yet another Douglas product) to make a Super-Duper Dakota? 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 04:15:18 AM »
I'd do that in a heartbeat using Tamiya Skyraider parts to make a bomber that one-upped the A-1 but the cost!   :o

Daisy cutters, fuel tanks, nape etc. hung beneath the wings.   
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 04:29:24 AM »
I'd do that in a heartbeat using Tamiya Skyraider parts to make a bomber that one-upped the A-1 but the cost!   :o

Daisy cutters, fuel tanks, nape etc. hung beneath the wings.

Skip the Tamiya and go straight for CHEAP!  Monogram, if you can find them.  The gray plastic is much easier to work than that brittle blue stuff in the kits sold with gloss sea blue markings for Korean war versions. 

The latest buzz from the critics (whiners) is that Tamiya got the cowling wrong.  Maybe that can be used for leverage to lower the price :)

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 04:32:39 AM »
I'd thought Tamiya because of the underwing armament detail level.   But that's us dentists....neurotic about details.   :-\
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 04:39:08 AM »
For the inline option, I really don't know what specific engine but I was thinking of something that looks externally like the de Havilland Albatross arrangement:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 04:43:24 AM »
I was thinking inside the box and looking for something that would match up with the existing engine nacelle.  Something that did not require a lot of cosmetic surgery to make it look right.  The little DH Albatross is certainly a sleek looking aircraft.