Author Topic: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's  (Read 130150 times)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's
« Reply #625 on: May 19, 2022, 08:50:23 PM »

I don't know what tractor this is but it isn't the usual green John Deere that we more commonly see.
https://twitter.com/mrjonnydaniels/status/1498024862492725248
Blue tractors makes me think Ford.
Before using just the Ford brand, there was Fordson or Fordson Major - but I think they were older than the one in the clip.

I have no idea which one is in the video but it does look a bit older.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #626 on: May 19, 2022, 08:53:07 PM »
Red Dawn or the Invasion of Ukraine, either works for me! :smiley:

Or a post apoc setting. Here is a 1V12 vehicle with a Ukrainian guy dressed in an OZK suit.
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1510256204039270402?cxt=HHwWhMC5mYKBwfUpAAAA&fbclid=IwAR3hKFHUh0svAV6lL75dP0yEo4SnuIt95sZ-_6Il6u6nDDoy6IyPJ4jnFbg

You can use this Evolution Miniatures post apocalyptic Stalker figure. It has a gas mask though. You would need to cut it out and put a face instead.
https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Stalker-Postapocalyptic-38331966.html

I have that figure. The mask is integral with the body & head moulding, so would definitely need some careful surgery, but so is the backpack, so further surgery would be needed there, if you wanted to model that scene.

For a whif post-apocalyptic scene you could easily keep both, with the figure scavenging the SPG for usable parts in a rad/bio-hazard area.

The Russians did occupy Chernobyl and even dug emplacements in the Red Forest for a few weeks. The gas mask on the Evolution Miniatures figure could stay as is and you could show a Ukrainian soldier inspecting abandoned vehicles when the Russians retreated from the area.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #628 on: May 19, 2022, 11:29:26 PM »

It's a shame they burned those four. They definitely could have used them somehow.

Generally, the only excuse for spiking them would be if the Russians were so close they could have recaptured them.

Then again, Hanlon's Razor could have come into play. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #629 on: May 20, 2022, 05:54:47 PM »

I don't know what tractor this is but it isn't the usual green John Deere that we more commonly see.
Before using just the Ford brand, there was Fordson or Fordson Major - but I think they were older than the one in the clip.
I just googled blue tractor ukraine, and found a probable answer: Belarus seems to be a common brand there, especially for older tractors.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #630 on: May 22, 2022, 06:58:16 AM »

It's a shame they burned those four. They definitely could have used them somehow.

Generally, the only excuse for spiking them would be if the Russians were so close they could have recaptured them.

Then again, Hanlon's Razor could have come into play. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor

Hanlon's Razor sounds about right.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #631 on: May 22, 2022, 07:10:17 AM »

I just googled blue tractor ukraine, and found a probable answer: Belarus seems to be a common brand there, especially for older tractors.

Ukraine uses the MTZ-80/82 Belarus tractors. Here are some Balaton Modell 1/35 MTZ-80/82 tractors. Look at those prices though  :(  :o  :-\ Too pricey for me.
https://www.balatonmodellshop.co.uk/MTZ-80-tractor

https://www.balatonmodellshop.co.uk/MTZ-80-early-version-1/35

https://www.balatonmodellshop.co.uk/MTZ-82-4x4-version

Offline Ramba

« Reply #632 on: May 22, 2022, 10:37:09 PM »
3D printed 1/35 scale John Deere tractor as used in Ukraine. Looks nice except for the frosted clear parts. A bit too pricey for me.
https://3d-chute-expert.myshopify.com/products/ukraine-fifth-army-armored-vehicle%f0%9f%98%8e?fbclid=IwAR3qFNxAefdU37ie_m701x-fS7B09NE3aMxjK9Yl-GnoSi5-9zAwfiHwCG8

Offline Ramba

« Reply #633 on: June 14, 2022, 11:41:15 PM »
So I went on a priming bender all last week starting Sunday June 5th to Saturday the 11th. I got nine and half kits primed. The half kit was the Zvezda GAZ Tigr-M with Arbalet. I only primed the interior and chassis/frame before painting it and closing it up. I will show some now and the rest within the next few days.

First one is the what if scratch built EMAV.

Next up is the Excalibur Vulcan vehicle that I scratch built using the lower hull of the ESCI LAV-25 that Jeffry Fontaine kindly donated. This one isn't quite ready for the camo paint as I forgot to close off the ends of the dashboard so you can see clear through one end to the other. I have to close the ends off first before getting to the camo paint and no idea when I will close the ends off.

Last one for today is the Zvezda GAZ Tigr-M with Arbalet. As I said above, I only primed the interior parts for now. Most GAZ Tigr's have the interior camouflaged but mine won't be. Zvezda didn't include the interior camo decals like Meng did but not all GAZ Tigr's have the interior camouflaged though. My roof hatch will be closed anyway and you really can't see much of the interior anyway if the roof hatch and doors are closed.

Here you can see the interior camouflaged and the inside of the roof hatch.

In this image, you can see that the interior of the roof hatch is not camouflaged. It is just a solid tan/khaki color.

I also worked on the antennas for the Italeri LAV-AT. The stowed antenna didn't quite work out the way I wanted but close enough. It was really hard to get the lower part of the spring to sit flat on the base so I gave up.

This is the antenna setup I was going for.

Here is what mine looks like.

The wire holding the antenna in the lowered position isn't tight. It refuses to straighten out. That's the best I could get it.

Here is the spring and as you can see, it doesn't sit flat on the base.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #634 on: June 15, 2022, 07:52:02 PM »
A couple more of the ones I primed last week.

Testors Land Rover what if. It will be painted in the Zebra stripes as a safari vehicle that was captured by rebels and being used as a technical.

Trumpeter LAV-25.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #635 on: June 16, 2022, 01:25:44 AM »
Nice work! What are the wheels/tires on the Land Rover?

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #636 on: June 16, 2022, 01:42:13 AM »
Love love love the excalibur!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #637 on: June 16, 2022, 01:54:04 AM »
Nice work! What are the wheels/tires on the Land Rover?

Thanks! The wheels/tires are from the Italeri M998 HMMWV. The Land Rover kit had the slick sand tires and I didn't have any other Land Rover replacement tires so I used the ones from the Italeri M998 kit. The Land Rover is going to be what if anyway.

I got the idea of adding the ZPU-1 from this image but I like the idea of the Land Rover originally being a safari vehicle captured by rebels just to have something different with the zebra stripes.

My Land Rover with the bigger HMMWV tires is not that far off from this one.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #638 on: June 16, 2022, 01:57:18 AM »
Love love love the excalibur!

Thanks! Mine is not an actual Excalibur. Mine is totally what if but based off the Excalibur design. I used the lower hull of the ESCI LAV-25 and scratch built the cab and upper hull. The Vulcan gun, radar and tub came from the Academy M163. I scratch built the ammo can and turret that the gun tub sits in.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #639 on: June 16, 2022, 04:24:07 AM »
Most of the 1/35 Land Rover kits (except for the Tamiya) have an incorrect number of bolts on the wheel, so replacing them with different wheels is a good solution.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #640 on: June 16, 2022, 04:54:02 AM »
Most of the 1/35 Land Rover kits (except for the Tamiya) have an incorrect number of bolts on the wheel, so replacing them with different wheels is a good solution.

That's good to know, thanks!

The Italeri M998 HMMWV tire tread patterns are fictional and don't represent any HMMWV tire tread patterns that I am aware of. With the Land Rover being what if, using the Italeri HMMWV tires will work for what I want.

The Italeri M998 tire on the left and the Tamiya M1025 tire on the right. The Tamiya tire is correct for the early style tread pattern. The Italeri tread pattern is totally fictional from what I can gather.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #641 on: June 16, 2022, 08:24:53 PM »
Some of the stuff I primed last week were some stowage items like backpacks, coolers, rolled sleeping mats and cots. These will be stowed on about five different vehicles.

I also primed the Zvezda BMPT Terminator-2. I started it way back in March, 2020 but just primed it last week.

I used some blue mylar behind the clear parts to represent the view ports. In certain light, there is a bluish tint so I tried to represent that with the blue mylar but the blue I used was a bit too bright.

Here it is primed. I unfortunately forgot to mask off the clear parts and primed right over them. I rushed to get it primed and totally forgot about masking the clear parts. Not sure how I am going to to clean the primer off the clear parts now.

This is the one I would like to do. Image is from somewhere in Ukraine in the Luhansk Region. Mine will be a what if though. I am going to make it captured by the Ukrainians and put a Ukrainian flag on it. This particular one has the 4S24 soft case ERA. I ordered the MiniArm set but haven't gotten it yet.

I am hoping to get the ETA Ukrainian flag set. It says printed on velvet paper and some are printed on both sides. The BMPT Terminator-2 will have the flag hoisted similar to the T-80BVM shown below.

Online Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #642 on: June 16, 2022, 09:27:44 PM »
Nice to see some movement, mate! :smiley: 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #643 on: June 16, 2022, 11:22:59 PM »
You can try a microbrush with your prmer's solvent to try and remove the paint from the glass parts, or cut out new mylar to put over the painted ones. If the mylar is slightly transparent, the black background may make it look more like coated optics.

I bought a Tamiya anri-reflection coating sheet years ago, but it seems to have been discontinued. AFV-Club sells pre-cut versions that you could adapt.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #644 on: June 17, 2022, 07:30:05 PM »
Nice to see some movement, mate! :smiley: 8)

Thanks! I am moving along but at a snail's pace. The weather here has been really intolerable with either raining every other day, heavy pollen or high heat and humidity. I am lucky to even get these kits primed. One of the days I was priming a couple of the kits, it started raining on me and got some water drops on the wet primer. I actually should have left the water marks on the wet primer as it gave the effect of being riddled with bullet holes. I however didn't leave it that way though and wiped the water spots off and re-primed it the next day.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #645 on: June 17, 2022, 07:32:22 PM »
You can try a microbrush with your prmer's solvent to try and remove the paint from the glass parts, or cut out new mylar to put over the painted ones. If the mylar is slightly transparent, the black background may make it look more like coated optics.

I bought a Tamiya anri-reflection coating sheet years ago, but it seems to have been discontinued. AFV-Club sells pre-cut versions that you could adapt.

Thanks for the info. I will check out the AFV version you mentioned.

The mylar I used was colored on both sides. It was from a party streamer. I will try a cotton swab dipped in thinner or mineral spirits to wipe off the primer on the clear parts. Hoping that works.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 07:38:05 PM by Ramba »

Offline Ramba

« Reply #646 on: June 17, 2022, 07:34:52 PM »
Here are a couple more from last weeks priming bender.

Panda Tunguska. The guns and missile tubes are separate for easier painting.

Panda TOR. Got the PE on the radar dish.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #647 on: June 18, 2022, 07:40:04 AM »
neato!! but why do you taunt me with these kits ? :D

Offline Ramba

« Reply #648 on: June 18, 2022, 07:29:53 PM »
neato!! but why do you taunt me with these kits ? :D

Didn't mean to taunt you  :D

Most of those Russian armor kits were started in 2020 and were going to be made as what ifs. I got renewed interest in them and will do them as captured vehicles by the Ukrainians. I have a Ukrainian flag set coming soon so will fit those to the vehicles similar to the captured T-80BVM shown in the previous post with the Zvezda BMPT Terminator-2.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #649 on: June 18, 2022, 07:40:43 PM »
Last of the ones primed last week.

Trumpeter JGSDF Command Post and NBC Vehicles. I removed the raised rear section of the upper hull to level it off and used some sheet plastic to cover it up. The leveled off upper hull has a much cleaner and sleeker look.

The command post has a Live Resin Secutor RWS with a .50 cal and Mk.47 AGS. The NBC vehicle originally had the AFV M151 RWS but I changed it to a Live Resin Secutor RWS with the twin .50 cals instead.