Author Topic: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's  (Read 134645 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's
« Reply #550 on: February 15, 2022, 07:22:25 AM »
Converting the FlaK Vierling to an extremely large RWS sounds like a great idea.  That way the gunner can be down in the vehicle hull under armor and protected. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #551 on: February 15, 2022, 12:30:10 PM »
The biggest problem was finding the ammo drums but that is sorted now.

Oh no you don't - details. What did you find that'll work?

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #552 on: February 15, 2022, 05:43:43 PM »

Ma-ate! Read the previous posts! ;)

"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #553 on: February 15, 2022, 10:44:01 PM »
Converting the FlaK Vierling to an extremely large RWS sounds like a great idea.  That way the gunner can be down in the vehicle hull under armor and protected.

Converting the 2cm quad to an RWS is different and makes for a cool what if project. Having a quad .50 would be cool too as a what if RWS but I don't have any quad .50's in my stash though.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #554 on: February 15, 2022, 10:52:17 PM »

Ma-ate! Read the previous posts! ;)

I found some ammo drums from a 1/35 figure in my stash as Old Wombat mentioned. They fit the guns perfectly. I will try to cast them myself. A friend sent me a resin casting set that's been sitting in the garage for the last 5-6 years now so it's time I learn how to use it.

This is the resin casting set he sent me. That's his work space, not mine.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #555 on: February 17, 2022, 01:01:26 AM »
Getting ready to weather some USMC armor. All three are Italeri 1/35. I started all three back in February, 2020 and got them painted last summer. They have been sitting around for months untouched so time to pick them back up again and at least get the weathering done.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #556 on: February 17, 2022, 02:06:20 AM »
Started on the M998 IED. I still need to do the chassis/suspension but I did miss a few spots on the body so have to go back and do those. The camera really highlights the crappy job I did HAHAHAHA!

Trying to get something similar to this one.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #557 on: February 17, 2022, 02:09:28 AM »
I would certainly not call that weathering you have done "crappy."  It looks quite convincing to me.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #558 on: February 17, 2022, 04:01:44 AM »
Your M998 looks an awful lot like the M998s I rode around in, Ramba.  Just needs some washes in the nooks and crannies to add some contrast.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #559 on: February 17, 2022, 11:49:26 AM »
I would certainly not call that weathering you have done "crappy."  It looks quite convincing to me.  :smiley:

Thanks! I need more practice trying to get that dusty look.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #560 on: February 17, 2022, 11:53:10 AM »
Your M998 looks an awful lot like the M998s I rode around in, Ramba.  Just needs some washes in the nooks and crannies to add some contrast.

Glad you are back home safely.

I totally forgot about using a wash. Those kits sat around so long I just wanted to get the weathering started and using a wash slipped my mind. Too late now as the wash will wipe off the weathering and I will have to start all over again.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #561 on: February 17, 2022, 12:47:32 PM »
I often use what I call "pin washes"; a very fine brush with just enough very liquid paint for capillary action to move the paint along the seam/join that I want highlighted.

I use the same method to build up "dust" around bolt heads (as per your image) & on edges where it would settle normally (the bottom edges of the connection holes in the armoured side plates & the top of the lower frame of the tail gate in your image of the real thing).

It can require 2 or 3 applications to get the required density of paint.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #562 on: February 17, 2022, 11:51:06 PM »
I often use what I call "pin washes"; a very fine brush with just enough very liquid paint for capillary action to move the paint along the seam/join that I want highlighted.

I use the same method to build up "dust" around bolt heads (as per your image) & on edges where it would settle normally (the bottom edges of the connection holes in the armoured side plates & the top of the lower frame of the tail gate in your image of the real thing).

It can require 2 or 3 applications to get the required density of paint.

Thanks for the tips on the wash. I need to get some of that Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color. I saw a video where that works with capillary action. I do have some gray and black Pro Modeller washes that I can try. I usually use those for stains though. Maybe I can get it to work with the capillary action though. If not, the stains would look good too.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #563 on: February 18, 2022, 12:00:05 AM »
Started weathering the dusty look on the Italeri M998 Command Vehicle.

Here are the M998 IED and Command Vehicle together. I still need to do the chassis and suspension on both though. I will also try to get more variation on the weathering with a slightly darker sandy, dust tone.

I forgot I had the other Tamiya M1025 that I converted to a USMC M1043. I scratch built the half moon doors and tea cup turret from sheet plastic. This one still needs weathering as well but not going with the sandy, dusty weathering. I am going to try a more muddy weathering on the lower body like the photo of the real one shows. Most of the sides and top are very clean except the top of the hood which has some muddy foot prints on it but I am not doing the muddy foot prints on mine, just the mud/dirt on the front and sides of the body.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #564 on: February 18, 2022, 01:39:08 AM »
Started the weathering on the Tamiya HMMWV so now I got the three HMMWV's mostly weathered. As usual, the chassis and suspension for all three still need weathering. Some other small parts here and there need fitting along with the antennas and wheels. Once I get the wheels weathered and small parts added I can then flat coat them all but I can only use the airbrush or spray cans outside so I have to wait till the temperature gets into the 60's or 70's so no flat coat till spring/summer. That gives me more time to get the chassis and suspension weather though.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #565 on: February 18, 2022, 02:11:35 AM »
All three are now starting to look like a date with the wash rack is coming soon.  Nice weathering and it looks quite natural and not overwhelming like all vehicles that has been on the go through dry and wet weather. 

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #566 on: February 18, 2022, 05:27:32 PM »
The Humvees are coming along very nicely! 8)

And agree with Jeff re: the weathering. :smiley:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #567 on: February 18, 2022, 10:09:38 PM »
The Humvees are coming along very nicely! 8)

And agree with Jeff re: the weathering. :smiley:

All three are now starting to look like a date with the wash rack is coming soon.  Nice weathering and it looks quite natural and not overwhelming like all vehicles that has been on the go through dry and wet weather.

Thanks guys! I still need more practice weathering though. Hopefully one day I will get it right  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Ramba

« Reply #568 on: February 18, 2022, 10:17:06 PM »
I worked on the weathering a bit more yesterday and got the chassis/suspension done. Some small touch ups again here and there necessary but not going crazy on the dust/dirt/mud. I broke off some parts while handling the kits weathering them so I need to fix those as well. Some other parts still need adding to all three kits so once those are added I can flat coat everything. I had painted the tires and wheel hubs on two of the three HMMWV's so I still need to paint the tires on one and weather them all.  Still too cold to use the spray cans outside though so no flat coat until the weather warms up. In the mean time, I still have to start weathering the Italeri LAV-AT anyway so will work on that soon.

Here they are as of yesterday.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #569 on: February 19, 2022, 01:55:44 AM »
Started on the Italeri LAV-AT weathering and everything went smoothly. Well, as smoothly as my skills permit hahahahaha! Once the tires go on, you won't see that much but enough to know that it is weathered.

EDIT: The tires don't go up as high as I thought  :o :-[. Good thing I weathered the whole side of the lower hull.

This is the weathering I am trying to attempt. I still need to make the upper hull slightly dusty. The TOW housing is mostly clean except for the front which is pretty dirty.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 04:31:08 AM by Ramba »

Offline Ramba

« Reply #570 on: February 19, 2022, 10:59:23 PM »
Got most of the upper hull sides sort of weathered. As you can see, I still need to do the front sides. I also still need to do the top of the hull and TOW launcher. I forgot to paint the vision blocks so I can't weather the top just yet. I am getting really forgetful lately HAHAHAHA!

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #571 on: February 20, 2022, 04:28:28 AM »
I forgot to paint the vision blocks so I can't weather the top just yet. 

If you paint the vision blocks after weathering, it would be in keeping with the PMCS priorities of keeping the weapons optics and all vision ports clear (along with maintaining the lubrication plan).

'cause what you'd done so far looks spot-on.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #572 on: February 20, 2022, 01:53:42 PM »
Keep yer eyes, ears & weapons clear! ;) :smiley:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #573 on: February 21, 2022, 02:18:34 AM »
Keep yer eyes, ears & weapons clear! ;) :smiley:

I forgot to paint the vision blocks so I can't weather the top just yet. 

If you paint the vision blocks after weathering, it would be in keeping with the PMCS priorities of keeping the weapons optics and all vision ports clear (along with maintaining the lubrication plan).

'cause what you'd done so far looks spot-on.

Thanks guys! Yes, I was told by a Marine some years ago that all windows and view ports were kept clean. That was the same Marine that told me about the wooden box used as a toilet while in the field. I wanted to paint the view ports before weathering so that I don't smudge or leave fingerprints in the weathering. I already weathered the sides and will more than likely have fingerprints in the weathering now. I will weather the top once the view ports are painted in but make sure to leave them nice and clean.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #574 on: February 21, 2022, 08:38:29 AM »
Powder-free "surgical" gloves should fix the fingerprint issue & you should be able to get boxes of 100-or-so for not too much at your local chemist/pharmacy.

There are, also, cheap $2-shop types but they're often prone to tearing for no apparent reason, just when you don't want them to.