Modelling > Allies '46 GB

North American Bronco F.2B, SEAC late 1946

(1/5) > >>

kitnut617:
As my MB6 project is almost done, I'm going to attempt another project.

Some time ago I posted a pic of a model which was to be the original XP-86 (top two pics). I just taped it up with the only part glued was the fin/rudder.

It is still in this state (bottom pic) so I'll start this new project and see if I can get it done by the end of the GB. The only other parts glued here are the wings (from a FJ-1 kit), I had started these for my Twin Fury but had realized I needed the wings before I glued them together. So I switched them over.  You can see that I had removed the wing root leading edge extension which actually works in my favour for this project, that's because the wing root chord for the F-86A turns out to be the same length as the FJ-1 root chord without the extension.

Tophe:
Will this be a "normal" straight-wing Sabre? Or will you try "oblique wing" or something weird? :smiley:

kitnut617:
Just as you see it in the pics Tophe, although the story might have a bit of a twist to it.

I've been working on it yesterday, doing my usual practice of keeping the main u/c in the same place, I've moved the wing root on the fuselage backwards and then moved the wheel bays in the wings inboard so the wheels will be in the fuselage when they are retracted.
I also had to change the really awful exhaust exit that the Matchbox F-86A has, used a Heller F-86E rear fuselage exhaust area to do that although I kept the F-86A tail plane wing root which is quite a bit different to later models (that's if the kit is correct).

The Matchbox kit is of Lesney vintage, the plastic is really brittle, just a slight snag of the razor saw and it splinters in all directions, I've had lots of repairs going which is slowing the build because I need to make sure the part is glued really good before I can proceed.

I've also made a discovery about why the Tazman replacement vacuform canopies I put on the Siga FJ-1's I used for my Twin Fury project didn't fit.  I've found that the Siga kit canopy practically fits perfectly on this F-86A kit.   :-\

kitnut617:
Got a bit done over the last couple of days, so far it's been quite easy. I made a better air intake duct out of aluminum tubing, I'm going to leave it in NMF.  The front wheel I just temporarily used an F-86 leg, but with the main u/c legs I intend to use I will change it for a longer leg. One of the Siga FJ-1 kits came with a white metal cockpit tub which I didn't use on the Twin Fury project. It went in quite easily and works as a nose weight. I did add just a little bit of extra lead which is glued to the top of the intake duct close to the nose just to be on the safe side (I don't want this to be a tail-sitter)

kitnut617:
Some more pics.  After changing the very rear fuselage I've added another bit of aluminum tube for an exhaust pipe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version