Author Topic: RAN F9F-8 Cougar - Finished &, finally, with AIM-9Bs  (Read 16909 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
RAN F9F-8 Cougar - Finished &, finally, with AIM-9Bs
« on: January 16, 2017, 09:06:20 PM »
OK, the latest challenge, KittyHawk's F9F-8 Cougar to be done in RAN colours ... but which colours? ???

I don't know! :o

I was really impressed with the look of this kit in the box but I'm a little disappointed, now, as there are some minor engineering issues & I'm finding parts that are slightly short-shot with small but annoying bits missing or only part-formed, like locating pins & small corners of parts. So, I can see some fit issues & PSR in my future.

Other than that the details are nice, if a little soft in places but not enough to worry about. The kit comes with 2 complete sets of glazing & 2 ejection seat options, so I have a canopy & a bang-seat to spare.

I had a bit of an issue putting the cockpit together, which may be down to me but I get the feeling it may be poor design & engineering of the kit, as the parts don't seem to quite match up to create what they are meant to look like..

However, I've overcome that & here are the first pic's of the cockpit & the ejection seat I didn't go with, although I built both, just in case;

Hope to be able to show more progress soon! :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 07:06:17 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Re: RAN F9F-8 Cougar
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 09:56:36 PM »
Goodie, goodie, goodie, I can't wait to see how this turns out!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 10:21:49 PM »
Nor can I, because I haven't the faintest idea of what scheme I'm going to do it in! :-\
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 02:06:35 AM »
Re schemes, you could look to either the RAN dH Sea Venoms or the A-4 Skyhawks for inspiration.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 02:08:39 AM by GTX_Admin »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 07:54:57 AM »
I already am but I don't want to be too slavish to EDG/Sky or Lt Gull Grey/White (Gull Grey/Lt Gull Grey according to the instructions) & they'll be operating too early for the 2-tone wrap-around.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 08:20:30 AM »
Something of a mix of the two, either EDG/White or Lt. Gull Grey/Sky?  Definitely get some different looks.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 09:02:10 AM »
I'm starting to lean towards a 2-tone mid-grey+dark-grey/lt gull grey in the RN high-demarkation pattern - sort of RN with a touch of RAF coastal command.

Still thinking! :-\

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 04:27:44 PM »
I would stick with traditional scheme...maybe with Shark mouth (or should that be a Cougar mouth)?

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 05:19:41 PM »
I did a Mirage F-1 in an EDSG upper, light grey lower with a high FFA like demarcation that looked very nice, something like that could be a suitable, more low vis option for the 60s.

Offline Kelmola

• Seeking motivation to start buillding the stash
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 06:35:16 PM »
Too early for SEA camo? >:D

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 09:19:32 PM »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 08:15:49 PM »
Been working on the nose-cone & guns, then realised that when I put it all together you can't see any of it. :unsure:

So, being a resourceful whiffer, I've used some styrene rod & I'll use some lead weights to keep the nose down, & I'll save the guns & ammo boxes & chutes for something else. ;D

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 06:23:04 PM »
How's ya Cougar coming along mate?

M.A.D

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 06:43:29 PM »
Paused, at the moment.

I could say "stalled" but it's not, I've just put it aside while I do a couple of other builds.

Should get back to it fairly soon. :)

Still got no idea what scheme I'll be doing, though. :-\

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2019, 10:52:37 AM »
Ha! "Not stalled" my ar$e! ::)

Anyway, almost 3 years later, it's back on the bench & moving forward very slowly, as I'm masking & painting a chequerboard pattern on the wing roots & rudder(s). :-\

Scheme will probably be basic light gull grey over white but I may go DSG over light blue. We'll see. ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 04:58:18 PM »
OK, here is the pic of the chequerboard. Needs a little touching up but nothing too drastic.

PS: I've replaced the P-bucket images from earlier with SmugMug images, so they show properly.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 11:21:40 AM »
So a bit of paint added last night & this morning, I've gone for high-demarcation EDSG (custom mix) over Sky.

Lots of fix-ups required but, well, this build ain't my best effort anyway, so I'll do what I can easily & leave it be.

Here are the photo's:

Oops! Oh, yeah, better put the rudder(s) on!

Thanks for watching! :smiley:

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 02:44:25 PM »
F9F Cougar.   Remember seeing them during early 60s.   Graceful appearance.   Had Revell 1/48 kit in white plastic at the time.   
Treat to see one in work.   Like what you are doing.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 09:32:01 PM »
Thanks, Bill! :smiley:

Things may slow down due to a lack of period appropriate RAN decals (especially 'Roo roundels). :icon_crap:

We'll see what I can scrounge up. ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2019, 12:29:53 AM »
Roight, a bit of research shows that the supplied AIM-9 Sidewinders are AIM-9L/M's, not the era appropriate AIM-9B's or (later) AIM-9D's, so looks like a bit of surgery is going to be involved! ::)

PS: Interestingly, they don't match the images in the instructions, either, which do show AIM-9B's! ???
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 12:35:15 AM by Old Wombat »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2019, 08:58:55 AM »
Those checkers look fantastic!

I really like how they brighten everything up and contrast with the rest of the model.

You're on the way to finishing another stunner!

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2019, 11:12:28 AM »
Thanks, Brian! :smiley:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2019, 02:14:43 PM »
Your supply of Sidewinders will be multiplying in the near future... :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2019, 10:40:53 PM »
Merci beaucoup, mon ami! :icon_alabanza:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2019, 10:19:14 PM »
Haven't finished the build, yet, but I'm putting on the first of the transfers/decals to see how they go (& to get some practice using Micro Set & Micro Sol).

So far, so good! :smiley:

Even the few I've put on make a huge difference to how she looks. :D

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2019, 05:30:23 AM »
looking good

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2019, 12:39:31 PM »
Thanks, Camthalion! :smiley:

(Sorry for the late reply. :-[)

OK, she's almost done. Just a few fix-ups that need to be done. There are dozens that I'm not going to bother about.

This build is far from being close to my best with more issues than you can poke a tree branch at, some down to the kit (which has some surprising issues) but most down to me.

When I've done these I'll take & post some photo's.

She's sans missiles at the moment, but I'm hoping they'll arrive from the USA, courtesy of Mr Jeff Fontaine, soon.

Offline Old Wombat

Re: RAN F9F-8 Cougar - Finished sans AIM-9Bs
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2019, 05:52:42 PM »
Well, folks, here she is, warts'n'all:

Looking at the photo's it appears they're hiding most of the faults - I have no problem with that at all! ;D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 06:42:00 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline finsrin

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2019, 06:38:37 PM »
Sweet build of sweet subject.  Love it all - - -  :-*

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2019, 06:44:57 PM »
Thanks, Bill! :smiley:

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2019, 06:46:21 PM »
Great work Guy!
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2019, 08:25:28 PM »
Verrrry nice, choice of colour scheme spot on!

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2019, 09:27:44 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen! :icon_alabanza:

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2019, 09:41:34 PM »
Looks good to me. 

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2019, 10:25:06 PM »
That's a fine looking bird, well done!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2019, 11:33:52 PM »
Thanks, guys! :icon_alabanza:

Looks good to me. 

That's 'coz the pictures hide a thousand flaws. ;)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2019, 03:57:49 AM »
 :-* :smiley:

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2019, 05:40:45 AM »
very cool.  Nice work

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2019, 06:15:43 AM »
That's absolutely crackerjack, Mr Wombat!

What a stunner!

Brian da Basher

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2019, 08:28:57 AM »
It looks awesome! The decals (and the checkerboard in particular) look painted on!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2019, 08:37:47 AM »
Thank you very much, gentlemen! Highly appreciated! :icon_alabanza:

It looks awesome! The decals (and the checkerboard in particular) look painted on!

Possibly because the chequer-board is painted on. ;)

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2019, 09:30:09 PM »
Very nice!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2019, 11:23:49 PM »
Thanks, Paul! :smiley:

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2019, 07:11:47 AM »
Dang that's good!  :-*
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2019, 04:37:26 PM »
Thank you, apophenia! :icon_alabanza:

Offline arctic warrior

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2019, 04:53:30 PM »
Stunning!  8)  8)  8)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2019, 07:10:27 PM »
Thanks, arctic warrior! :smiley:

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2019, 01:56:21 AM »
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2019, 10:29:53 PM »
Thanks, Moritz! :icon_alabanza:

AIM-9B's arrived today ... erm ... yesterday, so she should get her armament soon.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2019, 12:09:31 AM »
AIM-9B's arrived today ... erm ... yesterday, so she should get her armament soon.

Yay! 

Was starting to worry that your package had managed to enter another plane of existence and was lost forever. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2019, 12:50:25 AM »
That really is a beautiful looking model! I just noticed the crisp frame masking on the canopy, too - I'm jealous.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2019, 09:18:25 AM »
That really is a beautiful looking model! I just noticed the crisp frame masking on the canopy, too - I'm jealous.

You have no idea how much grief that canopy caused me, Frank! Believe me! :o :icon_twisted: :icon_punal: C:-)

It's still a bit rough, in person, but thanks for the compliment! :smiley:

Offline apophenia

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2019, 07:35:13 AM »
You have no idea how much grief that canopy caused me...

Well worth the fight ... for those of us admiring the outcome from the sidelines  >:D  ;D

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2022, 09:07:49 AM »
Someone, somewhere, asked me to post pictures of this build with the AIM-9B Sidewinders (eventually) attached. So, I finally got around to taking photo's & here they are:

Hope you enjoy them! :smiley:

Guy

Offline apophenia

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2022, 12:15:29 PM »
... Hope you enjoy them!

I did indeed! A blast-from-the-past with more ... blast!  :smiley:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2022, 01:33:27 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2022, 05:49:56 PM »
Thanks, guys! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: RAN F9F-8 Cougar - Finished &, finally, with AIM-9Bs
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2022, 06:33:02 AM »
Looks great in those colors and markings.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2022, 10:19:03 AM »
Thanks, Ramba! :smiley:

Offline RayS

• Occasional Whiffer
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2022, 05:37:21 PM »
very nice work there Guy
Ray

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2022, 05:44:09 PM »
Thanks, Ray! :smiley:

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2022, 07:05:08 PM »
 :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2022, 07:18:15 PM »
 :icon_alabanza:

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2022, 09:27:27 AM »
Oh my!! *fans self*
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2022, 10:02:58 AM »
Thanks, Zac! :icon_alabanza:

Offline IJ001

• Long time What if builder and Grumpy Old(er) Man
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2022, 05:25:27 AM »
Luvvit ! - now could I steal this idea and morph it into a FAA Suez machine ?

Ian.
Still building, still grumpy.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2022, 06:33:47 AM »
A 1950s force to be reconed with.  Every aspect is period correct.  Such a color scheme too.    :-*

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2022, 03:04:12 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen! :icon_alabanza:

now could I steal this idea and morph it into a FAA Suez machine ?
Ian.

Go for it, mate! :smiley: