Author Topic: Hungarian Heinkel He 46K-2Un 'Lucifer'  (Read 6864 times)

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Hungarian Heinkel He 46K-2Un 'Lucifer'
« on: April 26, 2014, 06:35:11 AM »
Here's one that I like because it's quite plausible, and it's just pretty.  In fact, it's often misreported that the Bulgarian Air Force operated He 46s (on Wikipedia, for example), but they didn't--just He 45s and 51s.

In the mid-1930s, Tsar Boris III of Bulgaria initiated a rearmament policy which virtually ignored the restrictions of the Neuilly Treaty. On 28 July 1935, the war minister officially created the new Bulgarian Air Force (Vâzdushni Voyski).

In 1936 Hitler supplied the new air arm with 12 Heinkel He 51B fighters and 18 He 46 reconnaissance aircraft. These aircraft were the personal gift of Reichmarschall Hermann Göring to Boris III and were delivered in late 1936. The He 46 was nicknamed "Sova" (Owl) and was used by the Troop Yato (Squadron) of the 3. Army Orliak (Group) and the Recce Yato of the Training Orliak for the reconnaissance role. They served with the 2nd Army Orliak until 1942 and operated with the fuselage codes of 11, 22 and 33.

Cheers,

Logan
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 01:53:04 AM by Logan Hartke »

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
Re: Bulgarian Heinkel He 46G Sova
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 09:41:20 AM »
Not knowing much about Biplanes, It would fool me!! I would assume it was reall  :) its very pleasing to the eye and I like the roundel  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 09:47:53 AM »
It certainly has you fooled Ben...the He-46 was a monoplane ;):

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 11:18:36 AM »
It certainly has you fooled Ben...the He-46 was a monoplane ;):

Ha! oops!! I didn't scan closely enough for the lower wing LOL  :o
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 03:05:04 AM »
Thanks!  In fairness, the He 46 prototype was a sesquiplane.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Hungarian Heinkel He 46K-2Un 'Lucifer'
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 02:26:35 AM »
And back to Eastern Europe for another one that's even more plausible.

Hungary was one of the largest operators of the actual Heinkel He 46, but their version had a different powerplant. So I did one of the "G/K" in their colors. As a result, the write up on this one is going to be shorter than usual. I encourage you to read more about the real ones if you're interested.

On 10th April, 1924, with the permission of the government, the Air Office—Légügyi Hivatal - LÜH—was established within the Trade Ministry. On 16th December, 1928, Altábornagy—Lieutenant General—Vassel was appointed to a post which did not exist on paper: Inspector of the Air Force. Leadership of the LÜH fell on Doctor György Rákosi who served on the General staff as a Colonel—Vezékariezredes. Even during the period of complete concealment there were nine air squadrons forming three air group cadres in the MKHL—Magyar Királyi Honvéd Légierő—Royal Hungarian National Air Force, then under the control of the air department.

With the development of home aircraft production in mind, Dr. György Rákosi gave orders for the construction of the AVIS experimental fighters. Not only this, orders were placed the year after, 1930, for Italian aircraft imports. Orders for German aircraft imports followed in 1935. Consequently, 76 CR 32 fighters soon arrived. Thereafter 66 Junkers Ju 86K-2 bombers, 46 Heinkel He 46K-2, 5 He 45 and 18 He 70K reconnaissance planes were delivered to Hungary. Including training machines, German imports amounted to 190 aircraft.

This profile depicts a Heinkel He 46K-2Un of the II 'Lucifer' Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron based at Székesfehérvár during the mobilization against Slovakia in 1939. Note the crudely applied camouflage paint on the wing struts, stabilizer struts, radio aerial, spinner, and even the propeller blades themselves. Note also the Gebauer 1934.M machine gun on the observer's ring mount.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Hungarian Heinkel He 46K-2Un 'Lucifer'
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 02:37:14 AM »
My what lovely spats you have there!
 :-* :-* :-*
A real beauty!

Brian da Basher