Author Topic: Apophenia's Offerings  (Read 906399 times)

Offline Small brown dog

• Dwelling too long on the practicalities of such things can drive you mad.
  • Yappity woof grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Re: Apophenia's Offerings
« Reply #2900 on: March 19, 2022, 05:20:51 PM »
Its not that its not real but it could be that its not true.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #2901 on: March 19, 2022, 09:19:15 PM »
Nice profiles Stephen  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

For my Australian Lancaster build, I've been thinking a nose like the MR you have there put on the B.1 at the top. And I've found that F7F R-2800 cowlings fit on Shackleton nacelles very well with almost no modifications to do so I'm going to use them. I'm also thinking of using Lancaster Mk.IV wings because I'm going to use some larger diameter propellers and I need to space the outer nacelles further out, and also use the squared off at the bottom fins/rudders too. And I think I'll do the canopy a bit like your MR too.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 09:21:04 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #2902 on: March 20, 2022, 12:04:12 AM »
Great job Stephen. Lovely profiles.

Well if Avro Australia can rename the Lancaster, than why cannot Avro Canada too. So how about the Avro Abbotsford?
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2903 on: March 20, 2022, 01:48:36 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #2904 on: March 20, 2022, 09:51:41 AM »
Many thanks folks. After writing that backstory, I'm wondering if the Avro (Australia)-built Lincolns might not also have been CAC R-2800-powered? If so, might an R-2800-powered Shackleton have later emerged instead of the Neptunes?

Well if Avro Australia can rename the Lancaster, than why cannot Avro Canada too. So how about the Avro Abbotsford?

I like it Carl! In the '50s, the Village of Abbotsford was just 'bump in the road'. But CYXX had been RCAF Abbotsford until 1946 (I'm guessing that it ceased operations along with No.5 OTU?). So, I'd say wartime RCAF base status alone makes 'Abbotsford' a viable name

Two other Lanc rebranding ideas come to mind - historical = Avro Annapolis (after Annapolis Royal); and regional = Avro Athabasca (technically also a village in AB but I was going for the River).

For my Australian Lancaster build, I've been thinking a nose like the MR you have there put on the B.1 at the top. And I've found that F7F R-2800 cowlings fit on Shackleton nacelles very well with almost no modifications to do so I'm going to use them. I'm also thinking of using Lancaster Mk.IV wings because I'm going to use some larger diameter propellers and I need to space the outer nacelles further out, and also use the squared off at the bottom fins/rudders too. And I think I'll do the canopy a bit like your MR too.

Thanks Robert. I noted your matching of the F7F cowling with the Shack nacelles (elsewhere here on BtS? Or was it on Secret Projects?) and unceremoniously nicked the idea. However, I used DC-6 cowlings as my model.

I too had wondered about prop diameter when I went with DC-6 HamStans. The prop shapes I've shown are pretty amorphous but, in my imagination, they represent the 4-bladed Curtiss Electric C642S-B/836-14C2-18 ... which apparently had a diameter 18" less than comparable HamStans (plus Australian industry seemed to favour Curtiss Electric propellers - at least going by DAP's Beaufort Division).

Stretching out more, the thought of 5-bladed British props also came to mind. Compared to a 15 foot diameter for the HamStan 3-bladers for the R-2800, the Rotol 5-blader for the Sea Fury only measure 12' 9". And, of course, there is the major technical advantage of 5-bladed props just looking wicked!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #2905 on: March 20, 2022, 09:23:08 PM »
One option for the Shackleton MPR.4 was it to be powered by R-3350's Stephen.

16 Foot diameter would be the biggest diameter I'd use, that way you don't have to move the inner nacelles. But you would have to move the outer nacelles at least 11 feet further out  :-\  But 15 feet sounds about right, I've got a couple of sets of Aeroclubs DC-7 props in the stash, 4-bladers (paddle blades) and spinners.

And how about Avro Penhold   ;)  Mind you, I think it would really need a name of a town where the Lancaster could have been made (other than Malton) so it would have been somewhere down east where the population was/is.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 09:29:11 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2906 on: March 21, 2022, 01:04:57 AM »
A single finned tail version could be an interesting development - a bit like the Liberator to Privateer developments.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2907 on: March 21, 2022, 10:46:52 AM »
Robert: Interesting about the R-3350s on an enlarged Shackleton. I wonder if that would have gone up against a Bristol version of the Canadair CL-28 Argus?

A single finned tail version could be an interesting development - a bit like the Liberator to Privateer developments.

The single-fin Adelaide was a one-off MR Mk.2 conversion. The goal was to improve slow-speed handling while on patrol. To test this, Avro Australia installed a single fin tailplane based roughly on the design of the new British Type 688 Tutor airliner. In the intitial installation, the fin and rudder were inspired by the Tutor 2. When service trials showed no improvement in handling, the aircraft was returned to Port Pirie for modification.

Top Adelaide MR Mk.2 A76-814 as redelivered to No. 10 Squadron RAAF Townsville.

Avro Australia enlarged the fin and rudder, resembling those of the later-model Tutor airliners. This modification produced minor handling improvements but, by this time, the RAAF had lost interest in changing to a single fin. Adelaide MR Mk.2 A76-814 remained 'on the books' but was never returned to the RAAF. Instead, the single-fin testbed stayed at Port Pirie, acting as a general 'test mule' for Avro Australia.

Bottom Adelaide MR.2 A76-814 test-bed at Port Pirie, SA. While the much-enlarged tailplane is obvious, here, A76-814 is also displaying 5-bladed Rotol propellers. These props were a judged a success but the mod was short-lived as the enormous spinners caused the engines to run hot (especially at low altitude).
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2908 on: March 21, 2022, 10:50:02 AM »
And another. This time a response to Clave's Turboprop Spitfire...

I'm calling it the Supermarine's 'Sacrilege' - a Type 356 Spitfire F.Mk.24 converted to the one-off 'Propeller-Turbine' conversion.

https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=402.msg195180#msg195180

The Rolls-Royce Dart propeller turbine installation was simple one but the long nose resulted in a dreadful view from the cockpit - especially on take-off and landing. The asymmetrical turbine exhaust duct helped with stability but at the cost of resonance issues with the tail structure and thermal damage to the elevators' fabric coverings.

Bottom Spitfire F.Mk.24 re-serialled TP946 as the prototype Type 356PT as delivered.

Top Type 356PT Spitfire as modified with the horizontal tailplane from a Type 398 Attacker F.1 with a revised cockpit and canopy arrangement to accommodate a Martin-Baker Mk.2 ejector seat.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2909 on: March 21, 2022, 10:08:43 PM »
Yes, Sacrilege is definitely the right name for it! ::)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2910 on: March 22, 2022, 01:33:44 AM »
I like it...but then again, I'm sacrilegious...

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #2911 on: March 22, 2022, 02:01:40 AM »
Robert: Interesting about the R-3350s on an enlarged Shackleton. I wonder if that would have gone up against a Bristol version of the Canadair CL-28

At the time, the other option was the Nimrod ----

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
« Reply #2912 on: March 22, 2022, 04:15:50 AM »
And how about Avro Penhold   ;)  Mind you, I think it would really need a name of a town where the Lancaster could have been made (other than Malton) so it would have been somewhere down east where the population was/is.

Avro Arnprior has a decent ring to it.

Avro Ajax could also work.
Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #2913 on: March 22, 2022, 09:17:57 PM »

Why does it have to be back east? Avro Abbotsford...
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #2914 on: March 23, 2022, 12:28:58 AM »

As I said, that was where the most population was, but it could be in other places too.  Some companies in Calgary for instance, built sections of the Liberty Ships which were then shipped by train to the shipyards in Vancouver.

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
« Reply #2915 on: March 23, 2022, 04:05:48 AM »

As I said, that was where the most population was, but it could be in other places too.  Some companies in Calgary for instance, built sections of the Liberty Ships which were then shipped by train to the shipyards in Vancouver.

If you're talking Calgary and area, how about the Avro Airdrie? It would work on both sides of the Atlantic as Airdrie, Alberta was named after Airdrie in Scotland.

Just don't name it after Penhold. I was in the Air Cadets and spent three summer camps in Penhold. Sleep didn't come easy when you had no faith in the structural integrity of the outdated barracks there. Don;t name your plane after something that could fall apart around you if you sneezed in it, :-D
Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #2916 on: March 23, 2022, 04:07:55 AM »
The powers that be in the East wouldn't have used a name from the West and it'd probably be
a name that resonated with an "English" connection.

Howzabout Avro "Mount Royal";)

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2917 on: March 23, 2022, 05:20:21 AM »
Howzabout Avro "Mount Royal";)

Reminding me of those old cracks about it being ever so long since Canadians had elected a Prime Minister from Montréal  :P

Since this naming-game started with the Adelaide, I presume that we're talking about the Lancaster 10MP. If it has to be Central Canadian, how about an island name? I'm thinking Avro Anticosti (WW2 U-Boat attack connection) or - if it must be anglocentric - maybe Avro Amherst?

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #2918 on: March 23, 2022, 04:31:14 PM »
Since this naming-game started with the Adelaide, I presume that we're talking about the Lancaster 10MP. If it has to be Central Canadian, how about an island name? I'm thinking Avro Anticosti (WW2 U-Boat attack connection) or - if it must be anglocentric - maybe Avro Amherst?

Actually it took me a bit of thought to realise Abbotsford - my first thought was Avro Anishnaabemowin, but somehow I don't think that'd've been selected back then...
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2919 on: March 24, 2022, 01:05:06 AM »
And another. This time a response to Clave's Turboprop Spitfire...

I'm calling it the Supermarine's 'Sacrilege' - a Type 356 Spitfire F.Mk.24 converted to the one-off 'Propeller-Turbine' conversion.

Dare I suggest Supermarine Sacrileges being used in a COIN/CAS role by either (or all 3) of RAF, RAAF, RNZAF, RCAF in Vietnam?    ;)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2920 on: March 25, 2022, 04:58:53 AM »

P'raps ... but, for now, I'm still on orphans from the 100th Anniversary of the RAAF GB.

------------------

"The wind blows wherever it pleases" - From Hurricane to Gale

In 1939, the British Air Ministry wanted potential alternative powerplants for key aircraft types. Hawker Aircraft is asked to prepare designs for Hurricanes other than the big-demand Merlin. After the Bristol Taurus was eliminated, the project firmed up as the 'Hercules-Hurricane'. By this time, the new Ministry of Aircraft Production (MAP) takes over the requirement. But MAP was also mandating priority production of Hurricanes at Brooklands. To free up Hawkers, responsibility for the 'Hercules-Hurricane' was passed on to the firm's subsidiary, Gloster Aircraft.

With Gloster's new chief designer W.G. Carter otherwise engaged, the task of re-stressing the Hurricane airframe for the big radial engine was passed on to H.E. Preston in the Hucclecote Drawing Office. Howard Preston quickly discovered that more than a straightforward conversion was needed. The Bristol Hercules radial engine weighed 600 lbs more than the original V-12 Merlin. Accordingly, Preston undertook a more thorough redesign of the Hurricane airframe. From the revised firewall forward, the design was entirely new. Behind that firewall, the Hurricane design remained largely unchanged.

However, it was found advantageous to reposition the cockpit one frame aft. This was done primarily to shift the c/g aft to account for the heavier engine. However, it also freed up space for an enlarged fuselage reserve tank - now holding 50 Imperial gallons of fuel vs. the original 28 gallons. These changes were applied to V6799 - a Gloster-built Hurricane Mk.I which had been damaged by an engine fire. Cheekily rebranded as the Gloster Gale, the re-engined fighter was dispatched to the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment.

Top Gloster Gale as originally trialled by the A&AEE at Boscombe Down. Note the standard Hurricane fin and the large intake for the Bristol Hercules' updraught carburettor.

The A&AEE recommended an enlarged rudder to cope with a more powerful engine. With a tailplane redesign required, Howard Preston took the opportunity to delete the Hurricane's lower strake to allow the original, retractable tailwheel to be reinstated (although, in fact, the original tailwheel would remain in place). Lateral stability was improved with the new fin and rudder assemblies in place but MAP was losing interest in the 'Hercules-Hurricane'. Gloster's priority was now beginning production of Hawker's new Typhoon fighter. It was then decided to transfer the entire Gloster Gale project to Australia.

Whirls the Willy-Willy Down Under

In October 1941, the prototype Gloster Gale conversion arrived at Port Melbourne (along with multiple sets of surplus Gloster-built Hurricane Mk.I wing panels). It was assumed that the simpler structure of the Hurricane airframe would make local production simpler than introducing the stressed-skinned Beaufort bomber. Completed Gales were initially envisioned as ground attack aircraft for the Western Desert. As Italian resistance in North Africa faded, thoughts shifted towards the Gales being supplied to the RAF at Singapore. There was just one impediment to these lofty plans - as delivered, the Gale prototype had been shorn of its engine. Worse, it looked doubtful whether any Hercules could be spared for the Gale (priority having been given to the Beaufort).

With the aviation industry burgeoning at Fisherman's Bend, it was decided to start a new division of the Department of Aircraft Production to produce the Gale. Accordingly, the somewhat unimaginatively-named Government Aircraft Factory division of the DAP was established at Essendon, Victoria. While the plant was being constructed, the DAP's Beaufort Division took on the challenge of making the Gale conversion airworthy. The most powerful engine available in Australia was the Pratt & Whitney R-1830 radial being built by CAC for the Beaufort. Although less powerful than the Hercules, the R-1830 was the logical choice for Australian-made Gales.

Bottom Gloster Gale being fitted with an R-1830 engine by the DAP Beaufort Division at Fisherman's Bend, VIC, late December 1941.

(To be continued ...)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2921 on: March 26, 2022, 12:51:02 AM »

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2922 on: March 26, 2022, 04:47:13 AM »
"The wind blows wherever it pleases" - Part Two

DAP Beaufort Division's take on the Gloster Gale conversion broke no new ground. It worked but what was effectively a R-1830-powered Hurricane was no state-of-the-art fighter aircraft. If anything, the revised Gale was an underperformer compared to the Merlin-engined original. And that was not encouraging after the recent mauling the Japanese had given RAF Hurricane Mk.Is and Mk.IIs over Singapore and the NEI! [1]

Luckily, the new American allies were now offering Curtiss fighters to Australia. It was decided that the Gale should follow the lead of the 'Hurri-bomber'. Rather than producing a domestic interceptor fighter of dubious quality, the DAP should be tailored to the close-support role. By the time of this decision, basic facilities were nearing completion at Essendon. Further development work was to be undertaken by the design staff at the Department of Aircraft Production's latest division - the newly-formed Government Aircraft Factory. Although the GAF design team was small, the assigned task was considered manageable.

Several shortcomings of the Beaufort Division's ad hoc modifications had to be addressed. Fortunately, most of the problems were inter-related. Most serious was the lack of view over the large engine from the rear-set cockpit. This was made worse by the sliding hood - seen as unnecessarily cramped by DAP test-pilots. And that hood suffered from turbulence generated by the new carburettor intake fairing. Tufting revealed that the abrupt ending of the intake fairing was at fault and extending that fairing would resolve the problem. The canopy was a bigger challenge.

Adjustment of the pilot's seat for greater elevation during take-offs and landings was alit upon. For this a taller windscreen would be required. As it happened, the Commonwealth Aircraft Company had already designed a canopy for an original fighter design which was both taller and wider. By an arrangement through the Department of Supply and Development, it was agreed that CAC would supply this canopy to the GAF division for the Gale. A new tail-group of simplified form was also designed and GAF received an initial order for pre-production run of 20 fighter-bombers. [2]

Bottom One of the Series 1 pre-production GAF (Gloster) Gale Mk.XXs armed with eight .303-inch Browning machine guns. 'Bluey' wears the originally-specified RAF-style camouflage scheme.

The pre-production Gale Mk.XXs were followed on by another 40 Series 2 airframes. These aircraft had domestically-produced wings. The centre sections were virtually identical to the Hurricane. However, to conserve strategic resources, the outboard wing panels were completely redesigned. In place of stressed-skin aluminium, the GAF panels were of mixed construction. The spars were built up of welded steel tubing, the ribs were of local wood, and the covering was of pre-moulded plywood. In some ways, these structures were a retrograde step but they were easily made by semi-skilled workers and their spars allowed ready changes in armament type. [3]

The Series 2 - or GAF Gale Mk.XXI - was armed with four .5-inch Browning wings guns (for commonality with the RAAF's new Curtiss Kittyhawk fighters). This model also introduced a larger, under-nose oil cooler which cured most of the overheating problems experienced by Mk.XXs. [4] With the Mk.XXI, the Gale came into its own. These aircraft often served as target-spotters for bomb-totting Wirraways or Kittyhawks - using their tracer-heavy gun loads and marker flares to 'illuminate' potential targets. This made the best use of the Gale excellent handling at slow speeds and low altitude. But, on occasion, the Gales themselves carried the bombs (as originally intended).

Top A newly-delivered GAF Gale Mk.XXIA with freshly-applied white recognition panels. As on all Series 2 aircraft, this Gale Mk.XXIA wears RAAF-specific camouflage colours.

The Series 2 Gale Mk.XXI and Mk.XXIA differed only in minor equipment changes. So too did the Series 3 Gale Mk.XXIII and Series 4 Gale Mk.XXV which completed the production run. (The cannon-armed Gale Mk.XXII and six-gunned Mk.XXIV were flown only as temporary experimental conversions of Gale Mk.XXs.

(Fin)

[1] No. 242 Squadron RAF Hurricanes entered the fray over Singapore on 20 Jan 1942. By 10 Feb 1942, the remaining eight airworthy Hurricanes had to be withdrawn to the NEI. There, they join newly-arrived No. 232 Squadron (the two units merging into a revived No. 242). After the squadron moved up to Sumatra, not a single Hurricane remained airworthy by the first week of March.

[2] This number was dictated by the number of Hurricane Mk.I wing panels shipped out from England.

[3] The more 'open' nature of the welded-tube spars meant that longer weapons could simply 'pass through' the spar structures. Such was the case with both the trialled Hispano cannons and the outermost .5-inch gun in the  six-gun arrangement.

[4] Most Gale Mk.XXs were refitted with Mk.XXI-style oil coolers, thus becoming Gale Mk.XXAs.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2923 on: March 26, 2022, 06:58:25 AM »

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2924 on: March 26, 2022, 09:51:45 AM »
Another aimed at the RAAF 100th Anniversary Group Build...

No backstory 'cuz this one is kind of obvious ... the Dassault Mirage F.1 as a follow-on for the Mirage III-O.