Author Topic: Great Balls of Steel !! (Kugelpanzers and Spherical tanks)  (Read 8671 times)

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Great Balls of Steel !! (Kugelpanzers and Spherical tanks)
« on: September 05, 2013, 05:12:18 AM »
A new book is coming -- "Stalins Balls of Steel", designs especially for us >:D

Those old Mechanics Illustrated magazines & DRB's webpages are gonna get a lot of re-reading !
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 05:13:50 AM by raafif »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Great Balls of Steel !! (Kugelpanzers and Spherical tanks)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 06:15:02 AM »
Is it in Russian or English?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Diamondback

• SC
  • Head of the crew dog fan boy club
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 07:27:23 AM »
LOL, me I'd rather have seen Stalin's balls IN steel--crushed in a vise.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 12:49:13 PM »
Is it in Russian or English?

probably only Russian - have asked, waiting for reply.

Author says "More than 50 wartime projects of soviet spherical vehicles, with scale drawings and 3D-reconstruction. More than 300 pages"

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 10:58:46 PM »
Uhhh..what? Seriously? They had designs for spherical tanks?

Cuz I made a parody of that whole idea somewhere around 15 years ago....

Egads! I'll have to find the models and take some pics. *Sigh*

Alvis 3.1

Offline Jacques Deguerre

• Older and fatter but not wiser.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 11:55:31 PM »
@ Alvis- Yes, please post photos if you get the chance. I would love to see them.

@ raafif- A couple of questions; are there other books in the series and do you know where they may be purchased?

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 05:51:50 AM »
the book is Russian language for now - English version later (couple of years).

All projects in this book were REAL proposals.

The author has written a few books on Russian armour - the latest is on KV-based SPGs (production & prototypes).

Ordering ... seems anyone really into these books knows where :icon_nif:
apparently they have their own site which is currently down, also possible to buy via "Viktor Kulikov" & in Moscow hobby shops.
You're travelling around the wrong countries Greg ! ..... can't we do some business with Yak, Mig etc ???

More on Ball-Tanks here ...
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3708.0.html
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 05:55:09 AM by raafif »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 06:03:14 AM »

You're travelling around the wrong countries Greg ! ..... can't we do some business with Yak, Mig etc ???

Not adverse to the idea...though I prefer Sukhoi and Beriev. ;)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 06:06:25 AM by GTX_Admin »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 01:42:03 PM »

Not adverse to the idea...though I prefer Sukhoi and Beriev. ;)

well , we did build a few small ekranoplans up in Darwin for the Asian river-transport market - apparently they weren't too enamoured with the concpt tho :(

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 01:40:36 AM »
I've looked up a site recently on one wheel transportation. Seems an Englishman built a couple versions of the "Dynasphere".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynasphere
It seems that a major problem was steering and "gerbiling", the tendency for the car the driver sat in to climb up the wheel when accelerating and ride up the backside when braking.
It would seem to make accurate weapon siting difficult at best and keeping the crew from upchucking nearly impossible. There are a couple of old films of his invention driving around on youtube and such that show what I mean.
But, this is whiff world so just say a brilliant engineer solved that problem and go for it! Just like the hover cars and walking tanks!
I'm secreting trying to figure out how to build a miniature one for radio control.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 10:46:40 PM »
A self-propelled mine! Awesome idea! :D

:)

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 06:10:53 AM »
people have already built models of the three basic shapes & displayed them at shows.  The idea is basicaly from the 1910-1944 time-frame so mainly steam-punk in concept ...... how about a modern 21st/22nd Century take on it ?

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 12:52:57 AM »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 02:45:49 AM »
Not quite what I was thinking of, Doc. ;)

My thoughts were more along the lines of the remote-controlled "steel ball" variety. A section of paddock (or field) near a road strewn with motorised spherical mines, packed with explosives in both anti-personnel & anti-vehicle configurations, which are controlled by a radar/sensor-suite unit via secure data-link. The radar/sensor unit picks up vehicles or troops moving along the road & commands the mines to converge on the road, guiding them via data-link to hit the front & rear of the column first, then the rest of the travelling mines disperse along the body of the convoy/troop column, close on it & wreak havoc! There are no tell-tales on or overly near the road & the mines can be buried, while the radar/sensor-suite units can be camouflaged as rocks/tree stumps/what-ever. You could even have "sentry" fields, possibly guarding the main mine field, specifically designed to interfere with mine clearing vehicles & personnel.

:)

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 04:11:15 AM »
Interesting enough, in the television science fiction series Firefly, episode 12 - "The Message" where Mal has a flashback to the war and a firefight with the Alliance that has what appear to be some kind of spherical tank thing that crashes into their position and forces them to flee.  I watched that scene over and over again trying to get a decent view of the tank things that were called "rollers" by Mal but they are always just a blur in the background animations. 

***Edit to try and fix broken/missing links.  Attempt to fix links failed.  Text and related html has been removed since it can not be supported. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 10:42:35 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 04:55:29 AM »
he's done a nice model !  Looked at buying that kit but at US$50 for a kit that's just 1½" round is too much :(

Online Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2022, 02:08:23 AM »

Online Story

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2023, 08:11:58 AM »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2023, 10:38:00 AM »
I missed this one, somehow.

I'd love to see it when the gun fired! :o ;D ;D ;D

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2023, 10:43:18 AM »

If they're light enough to manhandle into position, they're too light to give any significant level of protection, whether metal or fibreglass.

If they're fibreglass, the flamethrower is more dangerous to it & the crew than to the enemy.

Reload time of the 105mm recoilless will be negatively impacted by the "flexible stainless steel tube", which, when it starts leaking propellant gasses into the "turret" pillbox, will severely hamper crew effectiveness.

The thing is, for all intents & purposes, a three-man coffin-come-crematorium. :o
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 10:54:57 AM by Old Wombat »

Online Story

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2023, 08:55:14 PM »

The thing is, for all intents & purposes, a three-man coffin-come-crematorium. :o

Hush, now - you're retroactively breaking some contractor's rice bowl with that sorta talk.

Legg's Eggs would be about the right size for 1/35th, ya?

Online Story

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2023, 08:59:21 PM »
I missed this one, somehow.

I'd love to see it when the gun fired! :o ;D ;D ;D

Soviet crew training.

(Only sorta a joke - we had to do "rollover" training in MRAPs before going to Mesopotamia.)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2023, 10:10:20 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines of;