Modelling > The Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda GB

The FAA go American

(1/20) > >>

Weaver:
Okay, I'm in. I'm going with the "UK goes American early" idea that I explored in the ideas thread. The basic idea is that the UK government gets an early attack of realism just after WWII and decides to stop trying to do everything while it can still do so gracefully, rather than waiting for a rude shock to knock it off it's imperial perch.

One of the tough decisions is to cut all funding for jet carrier aircraft development, since the prediction is that RN carrier numbers will shrink sharply in the future, and there'll be nearly no export market to pay for them. The FAA are happy to go along with this, since they've been dependent of US aircraft for most of the war anyway. The aircraft selected is the Grumman F-9 Panther, since it can be built under licence in the UK with a British-built RR Nene and other UK components to soften the blow. The UK contractor is Gloster, since they've just lost the RAF night-fighter contract to the DH.110.....

I've got a boxless Hasegawa Panther with knackered decals that's therefore an ideal donor. Colour scheme will be high-demarcation EDSG over Sky, like an early Seahawk. The decal sheet was stuck to the instructions and is pretty much scrap as you can see. Unfortunately, the Hase kit relies on decals for it's instrument panel, but I think they might just be okay: if not, I'll have to get an etch set... ::)
I've got plenty of Seahawks to donate the rest of the decals.

I'm not going to get fancy with modifications on this one: the basic idea is to get something finished! The only thing I definately want to do is give it British-style 3" RPs rather than the US 5" ones that come with the kit. If I can get the build done quickly enough, I might do an FAA Grumman Tiger in the later Low Demarcation EDSG-over-white scheme as well: they can share the EDSG spraying!

GTX_Admin:
Good idea!

Volkodav:
 ;D

Brian da Basher:
It'll look aces in FAA colors!

Watching with interest,
Brian da Basher

Weaver:
Cheers folks!

Not much to show so far: just painting little bits and pieces. The cockpit decals worked, which is a relief.

I hate this phase: you've got all fired up to build a distinctive shape or colour of plane, then you have to get bogged down in making a fiddly little cockpit that looks exactly like every other cockpit.... ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version