Author Topic: Litvyak's profiles  (Read 140553 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Litvyak's profiles
« Reply #425 on: December 24, 2021, 01:20:57 AM »
You really need a floatplane version in this mix... ;)

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #426 on: December 24, 2021, 01:23:08 AM »
From that angle in flight you can really see the familiar lines of the DHC Otter and Twin Otter. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline apophenia

• Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #427 on: December 25, 2021, 06:14:17 AM »
You really need a floatplane version in this mix... ;)

For sure! Hmmm ... One of the Alberni Airways pair on floats for the Port Alberni Harbour Quay to Ucluelet run? Maybe in an August 1975 centennial livery?

I got pulled down the https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org rabbit-hole yet again!

Browsing BE English, I was intrigued to see that "Yod-dropping is present in all BC dialects". Does that suggest more immigration from East Anglia and environs than in OTL? Or is it just a rationalization? (There is certainly lots of yod/yod-dropping inconsistency in OTL BC usage.)

For those curious (see what I did there?), yod-dropping refers to losing the small 'y' sound inserted between consonents and vowels.

BTW: Yod-dropping is distinct from YOD-dropping which means never having to go back to CFB Cold Lake ever again  ;)
"How we jigger it and figure it. Mistaking value for the price."

Online raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #428 on: January 01, 2022, 02:02:51 PM »
hey Litvyak,
The Doves are nice, can you include the D.H. 114 Heron in this set of profiles ?

I may get my hands on one in the next 12 months ....
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 07:05:19 AM by raafif »

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #429 on: February 12, 2022, 02:17:59 PM »
hey Litvyak,
The Doves are nice, can you include the D.H. 114 Heron in this set of profiles ?

I may get my hands on one in the next 12 months ....

A BC-ified version of the Heron (as the DHBC-2 Heron) will be forthcoming...
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #430 on: February 12, 2022, 02:24:02 PM »
Browsing BE English, I was intrigued to see that "Yod-dropping is present in all BC dialects". Does that suggest more immigration from East Anglia and environs than in OTL? Or is it just a rationalization? (There is certainly lots of yod/yod-dropping inconsistency in OTL BC usage.)

That's a possibility, though mostly it's part of a generalised North American English pattern which for one reason or other took hold more than other features. I haven't really given much deep thought to immigration patterns from England in specific, but there was very significant Welsh immigration in the area around RW Revelstoke - called Blaenau *there* (which is among the top 5 in population).

BTW: Yod-dropping is distinct from YOD-dropping which means never having to go back to CFB Cold Lake ever again  ;)

Hahahaha

Offline apophenia

« Reply #431 on: February 16, 2022, 09:33:37 AM »
That's a possibility, though mostly it's part of a generalised North American English pattern which for one reason or other took hold more than other features. I haven't really given much deep thought to immigration patterns from England in specific, but there was very significant Welsh immigration in the area around RW Revelstoke - called Blaenau *there* (which is among the top 5 in population).

According to the University of Nottingham's Key to English Place-Names, 'stoke' comes from OE stoc (a secondary settlement) implying an "outlying farm/settlement". With early efforts to farm along the Columbia River valley, that makes perfect sense.
-- http://kepn.nottingham.ac.uk/map/place/Devon/Revelstoke

Blaenau translates as 'highlands', which makes even more sense. (Cymraeg sydd orau!)

Mind you, the root blaen apparently means stream/river source ... which doesn't fit quite so well for Revelstoke  :P

Offline Ifor

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #432 on: February 16, 2022, 05:29:32 PM »
Is there a reason why the Welsh moved to this area?

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #433 on: February 16, 2022, 06:05:43 PM »
According to Wikipedia, Revelstoke, British Columbia, was named after Edward Baring, 1st Baron Revelstoke. The town was renamed in his honour, commemorating his role in securing the financing necessary for completion of the Canadian Pacific Railway

In general, I can see people moving to America picking areas that are not too different from the original home, in terms of climate or what you can do for a living.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #434 on: February 17, 2022, 09:05:49 AM »
Thanks perttime, that fits. When Canadians aren't complaining about bankers, they voting for them or naming stuff after them  :P

More trivia: The original town was called Farwell - there is still a Farwell Park - but was renamed Revelstoke after the CPR came through, as you said.

Mining opportunities would be my guess.

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #435 on: March 05, 2022, 06:04:33 AM »

I haven't really dug into the history of that, yet...