Current and Finished Projects > Aero-space

1/35 flying platform

(1/5) > >>

Frank3k:
I was reading about flying platforms, and decided I wanted to model and print one in 3D. The Williams X-Jet seemed fairly easy to model. I decided that a larger, modern version with better engines would be feasible, so I drew up a design in Rhino:

I had other projects to work on and this one languished for a while. I printed it today and was surprised that it came out OK. I printed two copies and other than the exhaust grate breaking off and other minor issues, it's almost buildable as is.

Here are the parts after washing and curing. I'm using Siraya Simple, which is - on paper - a pretty easy to use resin since it can be washed with some alcohol and water. My wash and cure machine tank is full of denatured alcohol, so I had to clean this one by hand:

Some of the supports are too thick, others are in wrong or inconvenient spots, but overall, not bad.

Here are the parts tacked together:

I knocked the two joysticks off because I thought they were part of the supports.

With Pierre modeling for a size reference:

I think I'll simplify the design a bit and adjust the supports when slicing for printing. I may glue everything together to get an idea of what works best.

Jeffry Fontaine:
That looks really nice considering what an obscure subject it is in real life.  You have really done an outstanding job on the details. 

LemonJello:
Pretty darn cool!

Frank3k:
Thanks, guys. I've simplified the design a bit and I'll print it out this week.

GTX_Admin:
 :smiley:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version