Author Topic: 1/72 FY-1 Pogo - AZ Model  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Artoor_K

• On the run from Polish Rivet Counters...
  • Use the power of your dreams!
1/72 FY-1 Pogo - AZ Model
« on: May 14, 2022, 06:44:50 PM »
Hello!

My latest: 1/72 AZmodel Convair FY-1 Pogo in Japanese what-if scheme. Real dog of a kit....Worst thing? Decals... I doubt that I will buy AZ Model set again but if I will, decals definitely won't be used...

Sickening, weakening
Don't let another somber pariah consume your soul
You need strengthening, toughening
It takes a bit of dark to rekindle the fire burning in you
Ignite the fire within you

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
Re: 1/72 FY-1 Pogo - AZ Model
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 06:59:37 PM »
Looks like the Japanese didn't keep it as clean as the prototype was in most pictures.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 01:52:41 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 02:04:02 AM »
Great job on the model! Too bad about the decals, especially when AZModel uses the decal options as a selling point for their kit variations...

Bad Decals...
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 10:57:27 AM »
...Intensely sore subject with me going back well over half century; glossy silk-screened inks on thick carrier films all you'd get till mid-1960s, some late 1960s Airfix kits with NO carrier film at all (e.g. FIAT G.50 c.1967), early Microscale flat inks on ridiculously thin flat film dissolving after TWO Solvaset drops smeared on them, artfully printed ETRL-ESCI's on worst carrier films ever made, horrid "non-standard" inkjet & laser-printed decals dissolving in water ala aforementioned late 1960s Airfix kits. Other than specific remembered exceptions satisfactorily applying decals on models wasn't one of life's joys worse still watching them crack apart with time though these ETRL-ESCIs & SUPERMODELs surviving perfectly intact since 1990, "Red 4" laboriously masked & sprayed on with Testors Flat Red enamel:

Also had lotta issues with AZ Model decals; nobody produced decals to my liking; thank God Lectraset (founded in London 1959) is in oblivion, never got single one that "took AND held"
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 11:20:04 AM by Retired In Kalifornia II »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 01:12:37 AM »
The old ESCI decals were so frustrating - beautiful artwork and printing, but after a few years, they just weren't usable. Even coating them with Future before cutting out would still cause cracking or breakage of the film while trying to apply the decal.

Frustrating Indeed...
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 02:02:00 AM »
The old ESCI decals were so frustrating - beautiful artwork and printing, but after a few years, they just weren't usable. Even coating them with Future before cutting out would still cause cracking or breakage of the film while trying to apply the decal.

...By 1978 when resumed model making those for sale in Sacramento hobby stories (half dozen down near couple dozen decade earlier) already were years old, only 1/72nd aftermarkets then with pre & Battle Of France Armée de l'Air subjects majority based on Profile Publications art for 1st & 2nd Heller kit issues prior to the "black labels", lucky indeed snapping 'em up during early 1980s ones I'd come across 20 years later barely useable :icon_crap: never did use Armée de l'Air ones bought for forgone Battle Of France builds few years back. To this day don't know whether ETRL-ESCI got licensed use of Profile art or grafted it about when or very shortly after Profile Publications went under 50 years ago their Italian aviation subject decals aside from Microscale/Superscale's only aftermarket ones till late 1990s before I'd resumed modeling in earnest third and last time in 2006.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 04:30:50 AM by Retired In Kalifornia II »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 02:42:33 AM »

+1,000
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Bad Decals...
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2022, 06:00:33 AM »
... thank God Lectraset (founded in London 1959) is in oblivion, never got single one that "took AND held"...

I really liked Letraset dry-transfers when they first came out for models. Mind you, to hold well, the sheet had to be really fresh! It also helped that I had proper burnishers on hand. Although, even there, I found it helped to lightly 'pre-loosen' the transfer with a 4B pencil over a surface with 'give' before trying to apply it.

BTW, all my attempts with Letraset model stuff was on to flat enamels with no overspray to finish. Since I had other available sheets of Letraset meant for draughting and graphics work, I'd use them too. Again, good results ... except on gloss surfaces (they'd go on but didn't want to stay on).  Overall, the standard sheets (and GeoType too) seemed somehow more 'forgiving' than Letraset's purpose-made hobby sheets

I've heard of modellers turning Letraset rub-ons into wet decals before applying them. Never got the point of that.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Used Lectrasets Long Before On Models...
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2022, 06:37:07 AM »
... thank God Lectraset (founded in London 1959) is in oblivion, never got single one that "took AND held"...

I really liked Letraset dry-transfers when they first came out for models. Mind you, to hold well, the sheet had to be really fresh! It also helped that I had proper burnishers on hand. Although, even there, I found it helped to lightly 'pre-loosen' the transfer with a 4B pencil over a surface with 'give' before trying to apply it.

BTW, all my attempts with Letraset model stuff was on to flat enamels with no overspray to finish. Since I had other available sheets of Letraset meant for draughting and graphics work, I'd use them too. Again, good results ... except on gloss surfaces (they'd go on but didn't want to stay on).  Overall, the standard sheets (and GeoType too) seemed somehow more 'forgiving' than Letraset's purpose-made hobby sheets

I've heard of modellers turning Letraset rub-ons into wet decals before applying them. Never got the point of that.
...50-plus years ago used letter, number, special symbols & characters decades before Microsoft glommed onto them as Windows Wingdings whilst working for Transit Authority of the City of Sacramento ("STA") then Sacramento Regional Transit District ("RT") up till 1982 whilst producing timetables et. al. graphics. Your 100% correct about them not holding on glossy surfaces, can't tell y'all how many gazillions flaked off at slightest touch, used flat bond paper to impress them on, cut strips to glue on timetable baseboards for offset press plate photographing this decades before electronic digital graphics production ala Adobe Illustrator, Corel Graphics, named others as well, cut teeth on Lotus 123 & Micrografx Draws during 1990s long after left Scheduling Department BTW.

Yes, did come across more than a few dried-out Lectraset sheets almost always dead of night working on rush-job service schedule productions 45-plus years ago frantically praying I'd find characters that took - GOD how outta control blood pressure goes just remembering :o  Certainly why I had so much difficulty with model kit Lectrasets was that they were years old by time I'd came across them, e.g. first-run SUPERMODELs had them, years old & half-dried out by time I'd tried putting the boogers on!

AND for bit more of "off topic" discussion here, came across this whilst doing Internet spell check on "glommed":

Piper LBP-1 Glomb

Pratt-Reid LBE-1 Glomb

« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 03:52:36 AM by Retired In Kalifornia II »

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2022, 07:11:27 AM »
I still have an unopened 1970's Esci decals set - maybe I should frame it on the wall as a museum piece ? :D
Happy with Cartograph & Tamiya decals, shame others don't match them.

Glomb = glide-bomb.  Looks like alternative prototypes for what became the USN's 1944 TD-1 drones.

Had Those Too...
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2022, 08:11:14 AM »
I still have an unopened 1970's Esci decals set - maybe I should frame it on the wall as a museum piece ? :D
Happy with Cartograph & Tamiya decals, shame others don't match them.

Glomb = glide-bomb.  Looks like alternative prototypes for what became the USN's 1944 TD-1 drones.
...Several unopened ESCIs they going to a French modeler who's a pastor early last year. Didn't know about Project GEORGE, uncovered gem hiding in an overlooked Internet crevice found only by switching to the Brave search engine few days ago Google & Duck Duck Go burying it deep in back pages >:D

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2022, 02:33:12 AM »
Great job on the model! Too bad about the decals, especially when AZModel uses the decal options as a selling point for their kit variations...

well the caveat is appreciated, anyhow-this is a very nice looking build! AZ does produce some neat kits but they don't seem to stick around for long, alas.

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2022, 08:26:02 AM »
Geeting back on topic  ;D ;)

Nice kit, looks good in japanese markings !

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............