Author Topic: USAF Mirage  (Read 1087 times)

Offline GaryF

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
USAF Mirage
« on: March 30, 2022, 01:40:34 PM »
  With airwar over VN continuing into the 70’s aircraft availability issues were looming for USAF.  The F-100 and 105 are running out of life, parts, and numbers.  F-111 engine issues continue to delay serious deployment and teething issues on the new F-15/16’s engines are not allowing for even thinking about their deployment. 
After some thinking and research USAF works with Israel to upgrade their Mirages (which they want to do anyway) with new avionics and the J-79 engine.  Israel gets upgraded aircraft and USAF sources an interim aircraft it can deploy to VN, without the long drawn out process of developing a new fighter in the US. Plus, frosty relations with France allow for sticking it to France by buying an Israeli aircraft.

I’ve got the Kinetic Kfir and Mirage 5 kits to play with. For now I’m just trying to clean up the wing joins … material needs to be removed from the join surface under the wing or there’s a crappy step. Not to hard just takes a little time.   Will get some pics soon.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 01:44:28 PM by GaryF »

Online Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: USAF Mirage
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 11:05:12 PM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."