Author Topic: Extended Vietnam War Rules of Engagement  (Read 2259 times)

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
Extended Vietnam War Rules of Engagement
« on: February 28, 2022, 10:43:16 PM »
**Creedence Clearwater Revival's Fortunate Son plays in the background**

Here are the Rules of Engagement for the 2022 Extended Vietnam War Group Build:

1. The build will run from 0001 local time 1 March 2022 until 2359 local time 30 April 2022. If final objectives are not met by the announced end of the group build, an extension may be considered.

2. Have fun!

3. Digital profiles, physical models and alt-history stories are welcome.

4. Direct all questions, concerns and complaints to the moderator.

5. Again, most importantly, have fun!

Background: Instead of the Vietnam War/Second Indochina War ending with the fall of Saigon in 1975, "what if" the war continued.  This continuation could come from a number of divergent points in the timeline. Such as: (this is not an all-encompassing list, nor is it meant to trivialize or minimize other national contributions)

- US involvement doesn't end in 1973 and is instead ramped up to counter increased support from the USSR and/or the PRC
- ARVN and allied forces stage an amphibious landing in N. Vietnam with alternate outcomes depending on success/failure of the landing force
- S. Vietnamese forces successfully counter N. Vietnamese forces and establish a armistice much like the Korean Peninsula
- Chinese/Russian forces take a more direct role in supporting PAVN operations in S. Vietnam
- Direct conflict between US/USSR/PRC in the air, on sea and on the ground, in and around Southeast Asia, with or without "deniability"

I would be interested in hearing others takes on what an "Extended Vietnam War" means to them.

Added 3/3/2022: Extended can also be taken to mean Expanded ie: more participants (on either side) or perhaps even the conflict spilling over borders in a more overt way.

**Fortunate Son fades out, to be replaced by The Rolling Stones' Paint It, Black**

« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 01:22:34 AM by LemonJello »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: Extended Vietnam War Rules of Engagement
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 12:03:56 AM »
I think I would be playing 'Here comes the Rooster' by Alice in Chains   >:D

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 02:13:30 AM »
Ozzy Osbourne Crazy Train. Y’a gotta listen to the words carefully.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 07:30:50 AM »
I'd go with LemonJello's Fortunate Son (with Creedence's Run Through the Jungle in a loop).

If we're talking Ozzy Osbourne, the relevant song was Sabbath's War Pigs. Nothing subtle there!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Kelmola

• Seeking motivation to start buillding the stash
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 04:43:16 PM »
Growing up, I watched China Beach on the television, so Reflections by The Supremes is the definite Vietnam War song for me.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2022, 01:11:55 AM »
Would extended also include extended scope and/or participants, not just duration? For example, the UK being involved in the '60s.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2022, 01:03:56 AM »
Would extended also include extended scope and/or participants, not just duration? For example, the UK being involved in the '60s.

????

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2022, 10:46:31 PM »

????

Alzheimer's setting in, Greg? ???
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2022, 12:47:57 AM »
I thought I had responded to our Fearless Leader...

Yes, expanded in terms of participants would be included.  Also, I did add to the first post that expanded/extended could also mean overt cross border "activity" in Laos,  Cambodia or elsewhere. 

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2022, 08:43:46 PM »
Folks, we are at (or slightly over) the half-way point of the Group Build.

That is all.

Hmm...
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2022, 11:29:59 AM »
...Nixon doesn't invade Cambodia April 1970 instead sends Kissinger to Beijing then Moscow months earlier, swings deal to hold full-scale U.N. sponsored plebiscite unlike faked 1955 Referendum catapulting Ngô Đình Diệm in power, covertly promising Kỳ, Thieu, all of South Vietnam's best, brightest and crooked unconditional U.S. sanctuary regardless of vote outcome simultaneously offering Ho Chi Minn's Vietnam most favored U.S. trading status if they'd abide by plebiscite results either way else Hanoi-Haiphong be "bombed into stone age" if they'd didn't, U.S. simultaneously offering same trade status to Communist China regardless. No more anti-war riots, no Kent State massacre, Vietnam War over in 1971, Nixon victoriously reelected sans Watergate break-in 1972, possibly no 1973 Arab Oil Embargo, no extended war group build necessary, sorry 'bout that :icon_crap:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 11:35:38 AM by Retired In Kalifornia II »

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2022, 08:28:35 PM »
With no requests (in triplicate) on my desk for an extension, I hereby declare the Extended Vietnam War Group Build closed.  Polls will be up shortly.