Current and Finished Projects > Sea

Monogram (now Revell) UDT Boat with "Frogmen" WIP

<< < (2/2)

Jeffry Fontaine:
Second installment of WIP. 

In addition to the details added to the small inflatable rubber boat I was also quite busy making some gratings.  These gratings are what you would normally see on some boat decks in and around the steering wheel.  This featue would be most often seen now in sailing vessels where the ships wheel is located in an open cockpit exposed to the elements and the grating would be installed around the deck in this area to provide a surface to stand on that allows water to drain down through the grating and into the scuppers and discharged overboard.  I made three different size gratings from the remaining supply of HO Scale lumber.  Three of these gratings were crafted from the smaller dimensional lumber which I think is supposed to represent HO Scale 4X4 (10cmX10cm) beams.  What ever they are the things went together easily with minimal trimming to create three gratings that I am still trying to find a purpose for.  The same process was repeated with the larger HO Scale planks to create three larger gratings.  The one odd grating started out slightly larger but I trimmed it down by two planks so that it would fit inside the forward section on the UDT Boat right in front of the ramp.  Not sure if I will actually place it there but it is now sized to fit that space.  The other option is to place it at the steering station so the Coxswain has something to stand on besides a bare deck surface. 

Frank3k:
The raft looks good and so does the grate. You're making me want to take a look at that old kit!

finsrin:

--- Quote from: Frank3k on February 14, 2022, 04:27:59 AM ---The raft looks good and so does the grate. You're making me want to take a look at that old kit!

--- End quote ---

Liking what you accomplished here.   Nice bit of bashing, result looks RW to me.    :smiley:   Rare for you to do floaty build !
One or two UDT boats in stash.   Made me realize using narrower plank stock can make sizable 1/72 versions of boat and raft.

Jeffry Fontaine:

--- Quote from: Frank3k on February 14, 2022, 04:27:59 AM ---The raft looks good and so does the grate. You're making me want to take a look at that old kit!
--- End quote ---
The Bathtub Flotilla Returns!  :smiley:
I never had the kit when I was younger, I had seen it built and liked what I saw but living in the Aleutian Islands meant that a lot of those neat things available in the lower 48 were alway out of our reach and unavailable on Adak.  The crafts store operated by the Post Exchange had only a few items and what few models that came in were quickly snapped up.  Empty shelves in the model and toy section was a constant reality.  When I finally got out on my own by joining the Army there was even less opportunity to enjoy building models and by then that Monogram UDT Boat was out of production.  When it was finally released again I was quick to acquire the kit as I had an interest in it along with the just as rare PCF Switft boat in 1/48th scale. 

The one advantage of working with that HO Scale lumber was that it was already cut to a useful length so there was no real demand to cut anything to a different length during construction.  The gratings were all quite easy to construct and adjusting the size after it was built by simply removing one or two sections worked out very well. 

Ramba:
The Revell Warthog Halo vehicle and now the Monogram UDT boats, it's good to see you working on stuff and posting again. The decks are looking good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version