Current and Finished Projects > Aero-space

Retro WWII Apache whopper chopper

(1/21) > >>

Kerick:
Here's the beginning of the idea that hit me while I was under the influence of Omicron and cough medicine. No real back story or reasoning other than what if I took some of this and mixed it with some of that. So what we have here is a 1/72nd Revell snap tight Apache attempting to mate with parts of two early model P-40s. Hey, its what I had on the shelf!

Here is the Apache minus the turbine engines, sensors and gun with a new nose job. I'm also going to add a filet in front of the vertical stabilizer and add something to the back edge to give it a curved 1940s look.

This will be an indication of the new general arrangement.

I'm trying to decide between a three bladed or four bladed tail rotor. Plus you see the "bazooka" style rocket launchers for the wings and .50 cal gun barrels that will be placed in and around the new nose. Trying to work in at least a couple 20mm guns too. I'll use the pilot figures from the P-40 kits to replace the modern ones from the Apache. I'm going to reshape the main rotors to a more rounded tip "propeller" shape to give a more 1940s look. Gotta have some bigger, fatter WW2 tires too.

Now I have to figure out a way to close up the end of the engine nacelles that looks somewhat streamlined without adding a lot of length. Its going to be tough enough mounting the engines above the wings and below the rotors to look at least somewhat believable. 

The P-40s are the 1/72nd Airfix kits and very nice they are! Almost a shame to cut them up but they are inexpensive and available at Hobby Lobby so no big deal. The Revell Apache is par for the course for a snap tight designed many years ago. Outside shape is ok for a whiff but I could do without all the rivets! If Matchbox used to have a ditch digger for the recessed panel lines then Revell had the rivetmeister for this one! Which would almost blend in for a WW2 model but the P-40 had none at all! So scrape and sand them away which is what would have happened with all the PSR anyway.

The mojo is upon me with this one so wish me luck. And as always any suggestions gratefully accepted!

finsrin:
 Cool concept.  Neat you had the vision. :smiley:    Start is looking fine. 
 Had six P-40B kits donate engines to flying wing bomber.   Charge ahead !

LemonJello:
You have my attention and my interest.  Will be following this one closely.

GTX_Admin:

--- Quote from: LemonJello on January 21, 2022, 09:27:18 PM ---You have my attention and my interest.  Will be following this one closely.

--- End quote ---

Ditto

raafif:
I immediately thought of the AH-56 Cheyenne :smiley:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version