Current and Finished Projects > Sea

The YoKai's World War Oneders - Sea: Versuchsgleitboot

(1/2) > >>

Dr. YoKai:
A sort of halfway houseboat between WiG and Hovercraft, the VGB was an interesting, if unsuccessful Austro-Hungarian attempt at a fast
torpedo boat. Cutting the sides was a bit tedious, but detailing the cabin should be fun. Four six cylinder aero engines for starters.
DSCF0654 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr
This is a fair article on the craft. I first encountered it fourteen or fifteen years a ago at an aviation webmagazine called Chandelle, but there
appear to be a few more sources out there these days.
https://naval-encyclopedia.com/ww1/austria-hungary/Versuchsgleitboot.php

Happy New Year!

Old Wombat:
Neat! :smiley:

I noticed in the footage that they didn't show it manoeuvring & that wasn't mentioned in the text, either; so, I'm wondering if that was its weak point ... or not? ???

Looked good motoring along in a straight line, though! ;)

Buzzbomb:
Ooohhh ! Liking this already

Dr. YoKai:

--- Quote from: Old Wombat on January 02, 2022, 10:28:21 AM ---Neat! :smiley:

I noticed in the footage that they didn't show it manoeuvring & that wasn't mentioned in the text, either; so, I'm wondering if that was its weak point ... or not? ???

--- End quote ---

One of the other sources I have seen mentions that it was unstable at speed, and not very nimble. And looking at the rudders in one of the plan views, I suspect it was not easy to turn. The first plan views I came across appeared to be contemporary drawings, and the rudders, fore and aft, had two profiles, on solid, and the other a dashed outline that may have indicated later modification.

Old Wombat:

--- Quote from: Dr. YoKai on January 02, 2022, 11:12:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: Old Wombat on January 02, 2022, 10:28:21 AM ---Neat! :smiley:

--- End quote ---

One of the other sources I have seen mentions that it was unstable at speed, and not very nimble. And looking at the rudders in one of the plan views, I suspect it was not easy to turn. The first plan views I came across appeared to be contemporary drawings, and the rudders, fore and aft, had two profiles, on solid, and the other a dashed outline that may have indicated later modification.

--- End quote ---

:smiley:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version