Author Topic: Technocrat Heavy Beamer  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
Technocrat Heavy Beamer
« on: May 23, 2023, 09:59:07 PM »
In my youth, when Mastodons still roamed the Prairies, there were games not made of pixels, ones and zeros. This was one of them-
DSCF0799 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr
One of a series of 'Microgames', Hot Spot was a two-player tactical board game that featured the fleeing rebel Technocrats pausing to
raid a Corporate Mining planet for fuel and supplies. The wrinkle in the game was that the entire surface of the planet was molten, and the temporary floating platforms of the Technocrats would melt after four turns. (The Ziegler Corporation's main platform, or "Crustal" as the game calls them, has some kind of force field that renders it impervious.) So the Techs have superior equipment and a time limit, while the Corpos have terrain, numbers, and a bit more mobility. In the game descriptions, the Technocrats have a couple of AFVs-the "Heavy Beamer" and the "Crawler".
I built a 1/72 Heavy Beamer back in the 80's when the game first came out, but only bits of it survive here and there in the spares boxes. I had long wanted to revisit the subject, and when Frank sent me the recent double kit of the Objekt 279, I found the inspiration. In the game, the machine looks like this- DSCF0796 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr  - which was my jumping off point.
There's not a whole lot of WiP pics-apart fro mthe trackwork, it was a fairly straightforward build that started with the turret and main armament.
DSCF0788 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr
A small hull, then on to the tracks-
DSCF0789 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr
turret interior-
DSCF0792 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr
DSCF0794 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr
I had originally wanted to go with white, but the paint I was using wasn't exactly the best, so I did a little polishing and went with a light grey blue (WW 1 German undersurface color) overall. The tracks, despite being link and length with tiny individual links went together with ease and alacrity.

Last was to seal it all up under the very sci-fi bubble canopy, which while it will do for now, needs a little tweaking. But I'm off to the mountains
of Tennessee to cat-sit for my eldest step-daughter for two weeks so I won't have much opportunity for posting.
DSCF0806 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr
DSCF0804 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr
DSCF0807 by VileDr.Yo, on Flickr

Online Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: Technocrat Heavy Beamer
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 10:22:41 PM »
Wow! That looks amazing! It wouldn't be out of place in the Ogre universe, either - sort of like a flea annoying an elephant.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 02:35:00 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 07:01:13 AM »
 :o, fantastic design.  Gotta love old skool stuff.  Even my new toaster isn't nearly as good as my 40 year-old one that just died :icon_sueno:

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2023, 07:21:10 AM »
Fascinating! Love the old school sci fi look.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 01:21:06 PM »
Oh I really love that.  :icon_alabanza:

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2023, 12:39:04 AM »
Oh i like that  :-* :-* :-* :smiley:

Where did  you get the dome from ?
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2023, 01:18:26 PM »
Nice one.  Looks great

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2023, 11:16:54 PM »
Awesome!!
Gotta have the completely impractical bubble canopy!

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2023, 12:18:29 AM »
Oh i like that  :-* :-* :-* :smiley:

Where did  you get the dome from ?

I hate to admit it, but I'm honestly not sure where I got that particular dome from...I save a lot of blister pack material, so it's probably from some package of shavers or something like that.

Thanks to all for the compliments! Sorry for the tardy response-I was away in Tennessee for two weeks, cat-sitting for my step-daughter and didn't have access to the home system.