Author Topic: HOMEWORLD  (Read 85795 times)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
Re: Taiidan
« Reply #225 on: July 04, 2016, 08:59:41 PM »
Got to admit, when I was 1st looking at it, I thought this;

needed a similar nose to this;

https://p3d.in/QMOIN,

too.

Are thinking like with the Longer, angular Canopy and a under hung sensor?  ???

Partially, I was thinking with a slightly longer canopy but retaining the curved F-18 form down the front, with a definite "yes" to the underslung sensor.

Great suggestion! Let me see if I can find some time to crack on with this. :) might be a while though.
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #226 on: July 30, 2016, 10:53:56 AM »

Partially, I was thinking with a slightly longer canopy but retaining the curved F-18 form down the front, with a definite "yes" to the underslung sensor.

Thoughts?

-David Fincher

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #227 on: July 30, 2016, 09:41:28 PM »
I really like your thinking, Mr Tomcat!

That new canopy is the essence of streamlining! Talk about built for speed!

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #228 on: July 31, 2016, 02:55:57 PM »
I was thinking with more of a droop cockpit, as per the image

with a longer canopy, retaining the curved F-18 form down the front, & an underslung sensor (suite).

But (& this is important) it's your model, & your aesthetic applies, not mine! ;) :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #229 on: July 31, 2016, 05:48:35 PM »
Nice boy and interesting model  :) :) ;)

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #230 on: August 02, 2016, 04:07:56 AM »
I was thinking with more of a droop cockpit, as per the image

with a longer canopy, retaining the curved F-18 form down the front, & an underslung sensor (suite).

But (& this is important) it's your model, & your aesthetic applies, not mine! ;) :)

Darn I was hoping it would be a little closer-- Might just be stuck with it, as the cuts appear rather permanant  ;D

I really like your thinking, Mr Tomcat!

That new canopy is the essence of streamlining! Talk about built for speed!

Brian da Basher

Thanks BdaB!

Nice boy and interesting model  :) :) ;)

He is alright I guess  ;D LOVE AIRPLANES. The obsession is growing by the day. He now makes Roaring Noises while flying things around the house.   :-* My boy LOL

pluggin away with Intake work:

all the added braces so I can do this:

after a lot of cuts:

Tomcat Intakes are not square of course-- that would be too easy  8)

That is it for now, I am hoping to get a longer and more comprehensive update here soon  :)

-David Fincher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #231 on: August 03, 2016, 03:20:39 AM »

So this is the "great white" its a 1/48 Revellogram Tomcat built from "cast off" parts. Old beat up pieces that I had toyed with and cut up. I put it together. I cut holes in the Top as you can see, and I removed the Horizontal Stabilizers and cut holes there too along with holes where the glove vanes are. Some Tomcat kits come with these, but not revellogram F-14s. So the purpose of the great white is to be able to add and remove pieces to see how they look, its white to blend in with the styrene pieces. hopefully this will give a good look at the shape and size of things before I pick what I want and finally finalize the design.

As much as I try to stay on track with F-14s, I have been straying into the other teen series fighters (I plan on building at least one of each in the Taiidan Style sometime):

Intake for a paper model sized against a 1/48 F-16. The goal is to make 3 of these in 1/72, 1/48, and 1/32 (likely resin) for F-16s of those size with the secondary objective of being able to add them to other models to "convert them" as underside intakes are a stand out feature. Still a long way from that as I have to trace the paper model onto styrene fold, detail, and mold them. So for right now its this:

I was going to scab over the landing gear bay, but then why lose that detail? So I went from the other side to keep some depth. (this is the old Monogram early F-16, so I need any detail I can get!!)

Be bold!

Made find from other discarded fins.

Also toyed around with the F-8 front:

Here it is with an italeri 1/48 F-14. Its roughly proportional to the original Tomcat. The length is the same.

I then toyed around with a spare F-14 Tomcat cockpit. Not bad! Should be able to make that fit with not too much surgery in the future.

So here are the plans as they stand today. If you are lost thats alright, even I am a little lost at times, too many ideas, not enough time. Destinations with no idea how to get there! So I have to pick and choose.

F-14:

1/32. Cut and measure parts (long term project)

1/48: Lo Conversion- Basic F-14 with minimal changes
1/48: Concept Scout- F-14 designed to look as much like a piece of concept art as possible. Like the Lo conversion above, relatively minimal changes.
1/48: Great white

1/72: Is where the really bold concepts will be seen as they are smaller and easier to cut and PSR etc. So I am hoping to have some of those going soon.

Teen Series:

F-14
F-15- probably a few variants
F-16 -Probably a few variants
F-18
F-18E/F- one off so far

Scale-o-rama GB:

F-35 Layout F-14 (hope to start on that very soon)

-David Fincher

Offline ScranJ51

• Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!
« Reply #232 on: August 03, 2016, 09:01:26 AM »
some insipirational work here!

Way to go!!    ;)
Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!

Offline b29r

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #233 on: August 03, 2016, 10:30:44 PM »
Been away too long, and trying to wrap my head around everything going on . . . . and you have some seriously cool work going on here!  I like your style, keep going  :)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #234 on: August 07, 2016, 07:09:01 AM »
I really like where (I think) this is heading, Mr Tomcat!

Then again, my predictive powers fail me continually when it comes to the Powerball.

Enjoying the ride immensely,

Brian da Basher

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #235 on: August 08, 2016, 06:08:02 PM »
So much good stuff going on here!  :)
Love the Viper with the huge angular intake, the Corsair's forward fuselage on the Tomcat, the Tomcat canopy on the Corsair,....  :-*
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #236 on: October 19, 2016, 01:44:15 AM »
some insipirational work here!

Way to go!!    ;)

Thanks man!  :)

Been away too long, and trying to wrap my head around everything going on . . . . and you have some seriously cool work going on here!  I like your style, keep going  :)

Thank you, really appreciate it

I really like where (I think) this is heading, Mr Tomcat!

Then again, my predictive powers fail me continually when it comes to the Powerball.

Enjoying the ride immensely,

Brian da Basher

By mentioning powerball in this thread, you agree to split any winnings <- nothing, pay no attention.

Thanks BdaB, going to keep on keeping on.

So much good stuff going on here!  :)
Love the Viper with the huge angular intake, the Corsair's forward fuselage on the Tomcat, the Tomcat canopy on the Corsair,....  :-*

Thanks! I am hoping to get some more Italeri Tomcats, but they are kind of pricey (so are Crusaders for that matter  :-\ ) Guess I will just have to build the ones I have and buy more later, like an actual modeller  and not a stash builder with more ideas than kits, and more kits than time!  :-\ :-\

Scale-o-rama GB:

F-35 Layout F-14 (hope to start on that very soon)

Yay! I did something!!

You can see more of the build up (and pictures!) here:

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=6590.0

This is not my finest model. In fact its a solid 5 footer, but I will tell you what, it was a blast to build and I learned a lot of things I will and won't do in the future. There were some small but important firsts, like the first time I have used the proper font on the tail number, and an official canon Homeworld symbol. Previously I had used the standard military block letters/numbers from decal sheets, along with regular  military squadron emblems. I also tried to mask pieces individually and then join them together, as opposed to building the whole model and then striping it. I tried to take advantage of the kits "natural breakdown" and stripe the sub assembly accordingly. I might explore that more.

I used Gunship Gray, which has a bluish tint. I am probably not going to use that in the future and stick with a more conventional Black/white type. Blues are the Taiidan opponent's colors. So I will use it for their (The Kushan) ships.  I don't like the gunship gray look, but oh well lesson learned. I botched the cockpit floor. Totally mismeasured it. So next Time I will glue it straight to the bottom of the Fuselage instead of elevated like I did. The yellow/red fins are a little on the darker side (though not bad) shade wise, so I will incorporate those colors too in the future on other builds since they work well ( I want to avoid using the exact same colors everytime, need some variety.) I don't like where I masked the canopy white. I feel I need to refine that better especially on the front windscreen.

-David Fincher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #237 on: October 19, 2016, 01:52:33 AM »
More updates from other projects in this thread:

^Canopy option A^

^Canopy option B^

Made A, liked A. Made B, liked B better. did these comparitive shots, and I think I favor A again  :-\

-David Fincher

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #238 on: November 04, 2016, 03:31:20 AM »
Fun with Lego!

I have a bunch of fin parts left over from all the 1/48 scale F-14 fins, So I though I should come up with a little lego design for them. But first, I wanted it to actually work in lego (obviously the model version of this I can cheat and just glue) here is the result:

I made different Canopy sizes too. I'm happy with it. Coolest lego homeworld creation by far for me. I figured as long as I had the legos out, I should see what other ideas I could make happen:

That did not look as cool as I hope it would. I moved the Canopy forward and it still didn't help  :( Oh well back to the drawing board.

-David Fincher

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #239 on: November 04, 2016, 08:07:24 AM »
Fun with Legos is always great cheer to me, Mr Tomcat and of course, you delight us in taking it to the next level!

I think that canopy is just aces!

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #240 on: November 04, 2016, 08:20:04 AM »
Looking at it, I wonder if building up the dorsal fuselage so that the rear of the cockpit has between 50% & 100% more fuselage depth below it & a shorter, less symetrical radome would work?

Possibly the existing radome would work, cut at the base, so it angles down, & then cut slightly forward of that, so the angle is at about 45o to the bottom of the fuselage & faced in sheet styrene?
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #241 on: November 05, 2016, 03:37:14 PM »
Fun with Lego!
Thanks for sharing this fun with us: deeply enjoyed! :-*

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #242 on: March 09, 2017, 04:07:29 AM »
I'm trying to be more like B Da B and show the finished product instead of endless in progress shots.  So here is my finished Spice Transporter from the clear your bench GB:

Inspired by these:

-David Fincher

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: HOMEWORLD
« Reply #243 on: March 09, 2017, 08:26:52 AM »
That finished up a treat, Mr Tomcat!

The paint work is out of this world!

Brian da Basher

« Reply #244 on: March 10, 2017, 12:10:53 AM »
Cool :)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #245 on: March 10, 2017, 12:54:24 AM »
What yellow did you use for the stripes? It looks nice and solid.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #246 on: March 11, 2017, 02:36:12 PM »
Wow! Fantastic job, tt! :) :) :icon_alabanza:

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #247 on: March 14, 2017, 11:25:23 PM »
What yellow did you use for the stripes? It looks nice and solid.

I used Rustoleom "gloss Tuscan sun" I try to keep yellow to the more orange spectrum as opposed to the very yellow. I think it looks better personally.

The darker color is dark gray primer. I wanted to avoid black in order to get some scale effect

-David Fincher