Author Topic: The Sukhoi Soviet Sabre - A Blue (Jeans) Tale in 1/72 Scale  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
The Sukhoi Soviet Sabre - A Blue (Jeans) Tale in 1/72 Scale
« on: December 04, 2017, 03:47:19 AM »
The North American F-86 Sabre is one of the iconic aircraft of the early jet age.

Utterly forgotten in the decades since the Korean War was a reverse-engineered version, the Sukhoi Soviet Sabre.

How the Soviets managed to achieve this all started when a pilot suffered engine failure over Mig Alley and was forced to bail out.

His abandoned F-86 Sabre managed to glide just far enough to crash-land in that tip of the USSR bordering North Korea.

This would lead to the pilot, one Maj. Duke Wayne being known ever since in Air Force circles as "Wrong-Way" Wayne.

The crashed fighter was discovered by third-rate inner border troops who busied themselves going through Maj."Wrong-Way" Wayne's luggage which by some miracle survived.

They were amazed by what they found.

But what delighted them the most was the jeans.

Oops, wrong (Green) jeans.

These were quickly spirited away before the crash site could be secured by the KGB.

While it was obvious the aircraft was far too damaged to be re-built to flying condition, it was hoped another one could be reverse-engineered from the pieces which were delivered to the Sukhoi design bureau in the Burostan oblast.

Meanwhile, utterly unaware of the popularity of jeans in the west

the wives of the interior border troops started the ball rolling on the soviet blue jeans craze by doing a little reverse-engineering of their own and eventually this would be a thorn in the side of the Soviet State.

The powers that be in the USSR attempted to counter the blue jeans craze.

No matter how potent the propaganda, it never quite worked.

Funny, that Sukhoi Soviet Sabre never quite worked either.

While it did indeed fly, it was never able to perform up to the level of an authentic F-86.

Whether this was due to the difference between the English and Metric measuring systems or the inability of the Soviet aircraft industry to build to demanding western tolerances, we may never know.

The Sukhoi Soviet Sabre was unfortunately lost in a ground-handling accident six months after it first flew, and with so little documentary evidence left behind, to this day many doubt it ever existed at all.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 04:06:16 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: The Sukhoi Soviet Sabre - A Blue (Jeans) Tale in 1/72 Scale
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 04:02:50 AM »
This all started with a venerable 1/72 Heller N.A. F-86 a good friend sent me a while back (thanks a million, hamsterman!). Isn't that box art great?

The sides are equally impressive with a paint guide I was of course, going to completely ignore.

What's inside the box is the best of late 1970's model kit engineering.

They sure don't make 'em like that anymore! While pretty basic by modern standards, its simplicity was the perfect cure to the loss of modeling mojo I've had lately. I decided to build this baby straight out of the box, the only small mod being finishing it "gear up". Here's how it all looked after initial painting.

The paint was acrylic Poly Scale Letter Gray applied with the old hairy stick. The canopy was tinted on the inside with Model Masters Semi-Gloss Black.

The U.S. penny in these shots gives you an idea of the scale.

After this, it was time for decals. Since this was going to be a test aircraft, I kept things simple.

I used the red stars from a 1/72 Admiral Ansaldo and those mysterious Xs are from spares.

The burner can was done with some nameless craft acrylic metallic and the inner piece with a home-made mix of Model Masters Jet Exhaust. Here's a couple more "money shots".

I hope you enjoyed my Sukhoi Soviet Sabre and reading a little more aircraft history that's fallen out of fashion.

Brian da Basher

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 04:26:52 AM »
Box art depicts F-86F as a real climber.  Is finished pure and simple as Soviet test items are.
Interesting one off jet story.  Cloaked in murky secrecy of gulag land, info would not be available back in the day. 
Impressed you dug up this aviation tidbit even today. :smiley:
And coming from other direction is blue jeans impact.  History has interesting twists to it !
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 07:09:45 PM by finsrin »

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 01:08:51 PM »
As you say this was only a prototype (without revealing the mass production), maybe you will not be sent to the gulag, comrade. Judges are debating right now, for more than 2 hours... ;)

Offline arctic warrior

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 07:03:56 PM »
So its real!  :o
Of course in this age of instant information such as the Soviet B-29 is well known and just as well known the fact that large animals may hide in plain sight in the South East Asian rainforest or on the Tibetan Plateau; no wonder this was so long in surfacing.  ;D
Nice work.  8)

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 06:29:21 PM »
Stylishly simple, Niiiice  8)

Looks like you got your mojo back !

Mog
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline b29r

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 11:28:15 PM »
Very nice Brian!  A nice build of a classic Heller kit, and a wonderful story set with lots of intrigue  :smiley:  Those Russian Migs were trouble enough, without Sukhoi Sabres entering the fray.  Great job!

Best regards,
Kem

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 05:47:17 AM »
Amazing detective work as usual Sir.  Do you constantly look over your shoulder and avoid people with umbrellas?  Lucky for us the then soviets mucked it up.
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline aerospacer

Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.