Author Topic: The Boeing XYB-13 Bomber - A Devil of a Tale in 1/72 Scale  (Read 3474 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
The Boeing XYB-13 Bomber - A Devil of a Tale in 1/72 Scale
« on: November 10, 2017, 05:05:50 AM »

The pace of aircraft development was truly breathtaking on the eve of World War II. So many projects that appeared promising before the start of the war would be quickly cast aside once hostilities commenced.

The Boeing XYB-13 would be one of these utterly forgotten aircraft. It was a medium-bomber development of the Boeing 247 commercial transport.

The specification originally read Boeing XYB-13 With Bombardier Nose but a coffee stain blotted out the last part and the name Bombardier stuck.

Quickly overtaken by rapid developments in technology, the Bombardier's brief moment of notoriety was a bit part in Orson Welles' War of the Worlds broadcast on Devil's Night, 1938.

While Army bombing plane V-843 would become known as the aircraft that made a kamikaze attack on the Martians,

its sister ship Army bombing plane V-834 was forced to turn back due to engine trouble and survived to fly another day.

Boeing XYB-13 Bombardier V-834 of the 96th Bomb Sqn. stationed at Langham Field is shown here less than a year later wearing temporary War Scare Crisis camo which would eventually become permanent in 1940.

Only 14 Bombardiers were ever built and eight of them were lost battling the invading Martians. Of the remaining six, three would be cannibalized to keep the other three in the air.

By the time of the attack on Pearl Harbor, only two XYB-13 Bombardiers remained in service and were used for anti-shipping/anti-submarine patrols off the west coast.

The last documentary evidence of the Boeing XYB-13 Bombardier is newsreel film of one transporting the commander of the 7th Infantry Div. to Dutch Harbor, Alaska in advance of the Attu landings. Little of the XYB-13 Bombardier survives today and much of what made it through the war was destroyed in a government records warehouse fire in 1972.

There is so little available proof of the medium bomber's existence that to this day most experts deny it ever was and most casual observers would have a devil of a time identifying the aircraft correctly.

However, those of us in the know understand the Bombardier's vital, if utterly forgotten, niche role in history.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 05:15:03 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: The Boeing XYB-13 Bomber - A Devil of a Tale in 1/72 Scale
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 05:34:27 AM »
This all began with the venerable 1/72 Williams Bros. Boeing 247.

While your box art may vary, both are excellent and really evoke the feel of aviation's Golden Age. Of course, mine was going to be a little bit different. It started by modifying the fuselage to take the new side gun blisters Bill was nice enough to send me.

And here's a few shots with it all built up, before paint. The nose glazing is from a post-war RAF transport vacuform Bill also sent me a while back. I think it was a Handley-Page Blackburn BAE DeHavilland Avro something...

This was the first time I've built one of these 247s and mine went together well and it probably would've been even better if I'd followed directions and used the floor and bulkheads to help support the fuselage. Oh well, live and learn...

The only other modification was adding the blister on top which was left-over from some nameless packaging and swapping out the kit engines for those from P-26 Peashooters and the kit props for those from Monogram P-36s.

The model was painted by hand using the old hairy stick and acrylics, Model Masters Light OD on top and Poly Scale Lettering Gray on the undersides. The canopy, windows, blisters and nose were tinted on the inside with Model Masters Medium Gray.

Decals were mostly from a Williams' Bros. Martin B-10 except for the codes which were from spares.

The rudder stripes took a bit of work as a B-10 and 247 tails aren't quite the same size.

Model Masters Semi-Gloss Primer White, Insignia Red and Blue were used to get you to think those rudder stripes belong there. Here's a couple of "money shots" with a U.S. penny for scale.

I had a lot of fun building the XYB-13 which took me about a week to get together once I got started.

I wanted to bring it to you last week but my camera died after 10 years of faithful service.

I hope you enjoyed the Boeing XYB-13 Bombardier and reading a little more esoteric, over-looked aircraft history.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 05:37:11 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 10:14:39 AM »
Nifty looking build. Sort of wish you had used the forward swept windscreen ( You know how I like oddities ;) ) but I guess this boxing is the later version.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 10:23:41 AM »
You captured another rare bird in styrene. :smiley:
Having never seen a picture, must say looks like what one would expect.  Color scheme and all.
Was at Museum Of Flight in mid 1990s when overheard "old" guys talking about Boeing B-13.  Was skeptical but now your deep research proves them right.  Is not in my common mans reference material.

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 10:42:53 AM »
Another excellent build of an almost-forgotten subject, Brian. Bravo! I particularly like the new transparent parts, especially the blisters.

In addition...did anyone else notice the Martian-battling bomber seems to be posed on a tripod?  :o
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 03:50:07 PM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 07:28:58 PM »
Nice model! :-*

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 05:56:31 AM »
OMG, yet another wonderful slice of forgotten aviation history.  Am I right in thinking I have seen mention of the XYB-13 taking
replacement pilots to the Aleutians, only I can't seem to find it anywhere now.

Brilliant model as usual, your skill knows no bounds Sir D B.

Ian
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline arctic warrior

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 06:07:56 AM »
Another great piece of "forgotten" aviation history. Wonderful model.  :-*

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 10:37:52 AM »

Quickly overtaken by rapid developments in technology, the Bombardier's brief moment of notoriety was a bit part in Orson Welles' War of the Worlds broadcast on Devil's Night, 1938.

Tangential but related - one of the few surviving 75mm guns used by the New Jersey militia in that engagement, now at their museum in Lawrenceville (apx. 16 miles from Grover's Mill).
http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/IntelligentWhaleMilitiaMuseumOfNJ/Artillery/pages/11French75mmFieldGun.htm

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 04:33:05 PM »
Some observers said that "the 2-engined B-13 was not famous but its double (4-engined) B-17 reached a tremendous celebrity!" Ahem, in fact, the double B-13 was the B-13Z of 1939 (3-engined), even less famous than the regular B-13.

Offline b29r

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 01:39:55 AM »
Very neat Brian, and a great representation of a fairly obscure aircraft in USAAC history.  Very well done, my friend!

Best regards,
Kem