Author Topic: Brewster TBA-1 Super Avenger  (Read 4164 times)

Offline b29r

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Brewster TBA-1 Super Avenger
« on: September 27, 2017, 05:49:54 AM »

USN planners scrambled to have a carrier borne nuclear weapon delivery platform following the atomic attacks on Japan, which effectively ended WWII. The obvious choice was an upgraded Avenger, as it's weapons bay could hold the tactical nukes being developed. Grumman was chosen as the prime contractor, and came up with a general arrangement and specs for the new plane. But as their own engineering staff was swamped with design work for projects already on the boards, Grumman offloaded the project to the Brewster Aeronautical Corporation, and gave them some latitude on minor tweaks and design issues. The result was an aircraft that strongly resembled the Avenger, but with some aesthetically unflattering profile changes. Brewster also constructed the aircraft, with an order of 208, which included prototype units.

The new design was designated TBA-1, and was designed for high altitude bombing. The Wright R-3350 and Curtiss 4 blade prop, was selected as they were readily available from the B-29/B-32 program. Defensive armament was also improved, with a remotely sighted two gun turret. Performance was acceptable, with good handling characteristics, and the aircraft had no real vices.

Within a short time after the Super Avenger was in fleet service, newer and more capable designs came about, and the aircraft was passed off onto the Marine Corp. They served there for a few more years before all remaining aircraft were passed onto Reserve units or scrapped. The last Super Avenger was stricken from the inventory in June 1954.

This is of course the old 1/48 Lindberg Avenger kit, which has more than it's share of shape issues. Except for the canopy, the parts fit and engineering was actually quite good. Details are clunky or course, with the operating features of the day. The other parts are from the Monogram B-29 for the most part.

Best regards,
 Kem

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 10:59:46 PM by b29r »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Brewster TBA-1 Super Avenger
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 05:51:33 AM »
Very nice! 

***edit to fix spelling errors created by my big digits on a cell phone screen. :icon_nif:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 12:30:04 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 09:45:42 AM »
Well dang, so thatz the TBA-1 story and appearance.
A-2 must have overshadowed TBA-1 in a hurry.  Ya practically never hear about them.  Forgotten USN46 bomber.
Great build.  You captured it well.  :smiley:

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 12:13:24 PM »
Good!
It reminds me my collection of dark-blue USN model collection in the late 1970s...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 01:43:28 AM »
More photos required! >:(
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline b29r

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 11:07:07 PM »
Thank you guys for your kind words (well maybe not GTX  ;))

finsrin:  Help me out with the A-2, I'm drawing blanks  :(

Tophe:  Dark Blue is a good way to go, do you still have that collection?

GTX:  Well, you asked for more  :o

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 02:20:39 AM »
Impressed by the fact that you used the Lindberg Avenger kit.  I see you also managed to find a good use for the 1600 pound bombs (molded to a pylon) and the little APS-4 Radar pod from the Monogram P-38 on your advanced Avenger. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline b29r

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 03:07:53 AM »
I was actually kinda depressed when I opened the box lid  :(  So a what-if seemed the best way to deal with it.  And yes, those old Monogram parts came in pretty handy.  Can I use Google Earth to view your stash? ;)  SWMBO views my stash with a different point of view, I'm afraid  ::)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 03:51:49 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 04:47:20 AM »
Link to A-2 Savage  https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=518
It got the press as being an "atomic" bomber.  Grabbed limelight from TBA-1.
Wing tip tanks and small vertical stabilizers plus 4-blad prop are fine post war indicators.   Good integration of B-29 turret.  Have in-work 1/72 build doing that with three turrets.

Offline b29r

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 04:54:22 AM »
Yes, of course the NA Savage.  Saw one built up at a contest last fall, and it was fabulous, the Mach 2 kit I believe.  The immediate post war period is one of my favs, so I had to grab stuff where I could  ;) even old Banshee wing tip tanks.   Will be watching for your build, do you have a post here already?

Best regards,
Kem

Offline finsrin

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 05:07:47 AM »
Yes, did post a USN46 build.  Do all as 1/72 so scale matches.
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=2179.0

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 06:58:46 AM »
The Lindberg Avenger was nice enough to include an early interpretation of an ASW torpedo and some first generation Sonobouys, other than that, it was a disappointment.

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 08:53:46 PM »
Most excellent!  I can see this in Royal Navy service in the early fifties when they took on the avenger again. And even the AEW version.
Brilliant build.
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 04:08:37 AM »
Bigger Engine? Check!
Tip Tanks? Check!
Remote turret? Check!
Add-on Vertical stabilizers? Check!

This build has it all.  Great job Mr. B29R!  :smiley:
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 01:48:07 AM »
You're brilliant for coming up with this!

Now that I see the parts together I can't help but be impressed with your creative talent!

Most excellent!

Brian da Basher

Offline b29r

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 09:33:17 PM »
Thanks, guys, for your support!  Old kits like this make perfect what-ifs since they really can't be taken too seriously.  :(

Pigflyer:  Perhaps someday I will revisit using the AM Avenger and the ESCI AD-4W to create that RN AEW version. . . .Suez stripes maybe?  ;)

BG:  I wish my spares box was a little more full, but yeah, these are good places to use extra parts.  :D

Brian:  Not sure about the brilliant part, but glad that you liked it, and thanks for your efforts in running the store.  :smiley: