Author Topic: ARDU EE/CAC Lightning F Mk. 10 Ressurection  (Read 9028 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: ARDU EE/CAC Lightning F Mk. 10 Ressurection
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2017, 11:03:52 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys.

About the orange peel: Have you serviced your airbrush recently? ???

Last time this happened to me I found out the tip had broken off the needle, only a teeny-tiny bit that I couldn't see, except under my magnifier, but enough. :icon_crap:

OW, I keep the airbrush pretty clean, break down fully after each day and when this went pear shaped first time I went through the Paasche under the magnifying light I use. No brush damage, no residue etc it looked 100% OK to me. The white isn't orange peeled, its just the orange. Tamiya, Testors, Gunze all 3 did it. Either orange hates me or Ive botched the white or under layer somehow.

Anyway, once this guys done its off to the IDS Wolverine which will mean MORE orange ... if it happens again you will hear the screaming form Mars.

Adios

I'd try spraying some orange on something painted in a few different undercoats, including the white used on this, & see what happens.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2017, 10:36:23 AM »
Well that is really coming along a treat, although I am not wild on the orange nose.
 That scheme works on almost anything.
Really nice work

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 03:31:18 AM »
What buzzbomb said, Fanta Can makes anything look awesome. Or in this case, even more awesomer.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2017, 06:29:52 AM »
I've never seen that famous ARDU Fanta scheme done better, Mushi!

Talk about a stunner in the works! Beautiful!

Brian da Basher

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2017, 09:02:54 AM »
Stunning, in both design workmanship and in the final paint job.

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2017, 01:29:32 PM »
Thanks for the words of encouragement, I'm calling her done now for better or for worse and adding a fresh build down the track later on given what I have learned from this one. A couple of general shots first:

I found out that the wings are pretty close to level (how could I doubt you Hasegawa?) its my Mirage F.1 landing gear add in that is wonky. So I shaved down one side's tyres and that has it nearly sorted, except that is you look closely she looks like a knuckle dragger. The Aussie Decals decals were tricky, very thin and probably too good for me, next time.

Now for THAT intake. Well, originally it was supposed to be a straight drop in from an F16C and it all looked good until I found out the F16 intake was a few mills wider than the Lightning body. So it was chopped and thinned. Then, it would not sit properly as far forward as I wanted it to sit, so it ended up about 5 mms further back than Id planned. So, what did I do? Whiffed of course. Who cares HOW fast this bird chews Avons, back in the day we needed industry, and keeping the extra bods employed in CAC churning out jet engines like BigMaks was cheaper than subsidizing the car industry and located in the right electorate too! That is what I thunk anyhow.

Under side shots, showing a fit out for service integration of the AIM54 Phoenix weapons system in a MLU scenario. Yes, we still have the Redtops, no, the Yanks didn't manage to flog AIM9s to us. The black drop tank things are modified photo pods made from Jaguar drop tanks.

In the end I'm sorta pleased with it. Learned a lot but I also know where I wanted this one to go and she just didnt get there.

Thankfully its only plastic and there's next time!

Thanks for the support guys!

Adios

Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2017, 04:40:36 PM »
 :smiley: :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2017, 08:50:44 PM »
Gads you nailed the Mk. 10 right on. 8)
Still a Lightning yet different.  Low F-16ish intake works so well.  And oh those colors !

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2017, 04:12:25 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2017, 08:34:30 PM »
Lovely colours!  :-* Nice work on the re-arranged MLG and the intake, too.  :smiley:
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2017, 07:08:35 AM »
Great job ,me likey! :-*
Alex

Offline arctic warrior

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2017, 04:37:25 PM »
Turned out just beautiful.  :smiley:

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2017, 04:13:36 AM »
Most excellent, Mushi!

Pure eye-candy all the way!

Brian da Basher

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2017, 06:46:26 PM »
Thanks guys!
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2017, 06:01:10 AM »
Sorry to see you are suffering modellers curse, but from what I can see, she will be worth the effort, she looks brilliant!

Well I think I was right.  A most excellent finish and I hope the later new build will be ops ready.  Love it!!!!
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline Kelmola

• Seeking motivation to start buillding the stash
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2017, 06:57:47 AM »
In the end I'm sorta pleased with it. Learned a lot but I also know where I wanted this one to go and she just didnt get there.
Must have missed this beauty earlier. :-* Don't be too harsh on yourself. It's a masterpiece, if this is your definition "not quite successful", then a complete success would be out of this world. Also, orange is a nightmarish colour to paint and yours is immaculate.