Author Topic: P-40 Radar Night Fighter - a Small Intrusion in 1/72 scale  (Read 4109 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
P-40 Radar Night Fighter - a Small Intrusion in 1/72 scale
« on: September 29, 2016, 03:19:17 AM »

It was with much concern that Army Air Force, Government officials and the general populace greeted news of unknown intruders in the night sky over Wichita, Kansas in the summer of 1943.

By then, Boeing was getting its new B-29 bomber plant up in running on the outskirts of town. While the fight to get the revolutionary new bomber in service is legendary as the Battle of Wichita, less well known is this brief action which preceeded it.

The Army Air Force wasn't about to take reports of possible enemy night raiders laying down, even if it was past bedtime. Realizing a fighter was needed which could "see in the dark" and having few aircraft to spare and even fewer that could carry radar, a service-test squadron of brand-spanking new bubble-top P-40 RNFs (Radar Night Fighters) were sent to protect the B-29 plant.

The prototype pursuits were given a special all-black scheme and fitted with a license-built version of the British airborne VBAQ-RDFX radar, which it was rumored could spot an enemy at 50 miles in darkness or bad weather. All war-time specifics on the VBAQ-RDFX radar had to be rumored as any actual facts were classified Tip-Top Secret and have never been publicly released.

The best fliers in the 94th Pursuit Squadron were chosen to defend the Boeing plant on the overnight shift. These brave men were very motivated and morale was high. So much so that they painted their unit's famous indian head insignia on the large noses of their P-40RNFs.

They would need all the morale and courage they could muster in the face of an unknown enemy force of indeterminate size in those dark, Kansas skies.

Curtiss P-40RNFs soon became a common sight over Wichita after sundown, at least to those who ate all their carrots and could see in the dark.

The wing antennae of the VBAQ-RDFX radar, while having no offensive capability, seemed menacing indeed and it was remarked that they made the Curtiss bubble-top fighters resemble those ants with prickly appendages that fight.

The driven detachment from the 94th would almost fly the wings off their P-40RNFs, undertaking countless sorties as Boeing got ready to bring their new bomber plant on line. No effort would be spared keeping the birthplace of the war-winning Superfortress safe.

Oddly enough, by the time a nip of autumn was in the air, sightings of unknown night aerial intruders dropped to nil and no further reports were received as the leaves started to turn color.

The reports were closed with "Nature & Number Undetermined" and this too was classified Tip-Top Secret and no details would be released due to numerous Freedom From Information requests. We may never know who was responsible for the scare, but some suggestions have been proposed.

As the bubble-top Curtiss P-40RNF offered no increase in performance over other fighters currently in service, their VBAQ-RDFX radar sets were salvaged for re-use while the rest of the air frames were consigned to the scrap heap. No P-40RNFs survived into 1945.

Still, for a brief moment, the P-40RNF defended Wichita from enemy attack and assured B-29s would start rolling off the line to win the war. One need only know that no enemy bombs ever fell on Kansas to realize the P-40RNF while utterly forgotten, was actually a stunning success.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 04:09:03 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: P-40 Radar Night Fighter - a Small Intrusion in 1/72 scale
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 03:53:05 AM »
Welcome to the final part of P-40 Palooza and thanks for tuning in!

This installment began with a 1/72 Matchbox P-40N Warhawk I forgot I had and found during a deep dive into the kit stash. Isn't that colorful, 1970s box art great?

Not only that, but there's a very cool painting guide on the back too.

Of course, I was going to completely ignore that, no matter how helpful it might be.

This began with some serious surgery to which this kit was surprisingly amenable. So long, big, rear-view blocking spine!

A nice bit of scrap sprue was used for the tail fillet. I was channeling the more famous late P-47s here.

Speaking of P-47s, the real star of this project is the canopy which was swiped from a Thunderbolt.

Lastly, the radar antennae and a new pitot were scratched from tiny, leftover bits as was the radio mast on the back.

A big ol' hairy stick and acylics were used, Model Masers Flat Black mostly and Jet Exhaust to tint the inside of that canopy. A dry-brush of Deck Brown over some more Jet Exhaust with a little Flat Black dry-brushed last was used on the exhausts.

Decals were a mix from spares. Those great 1943 red-surround U.S. markings are from an almost-gone sheet by Eagle Strike. The 94th squadron insignia on the nose were from a sheet for a Monogram P-36.

The project only took four days from start to finish and I had a blast building it. I hope you enjoyed this final act in the P-40 Palooza and reading a little more forgotten history.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 04:13:19 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline uncle les

• Aussie Whiffer Extraordinaire!
  • The man behind the models of the same name...
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 08:44:49 AM »
 :D
That's my satisfied grin of having been related an excellent back story and being treated to a plausible creation. 
Well done !

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 09:38:27 AM »
P-40RNF bubble canopy is quite a visibility improvement to P-40 line up.  Besides looking cool am sure forward strake from tail maintains high "G" strength of fuselage rear.
Right plane at right time.  They were prepared to defend B-29 production even though it was apparently a false alarm.
Another interesting event I had not read of before now.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 10:20:44 AM »
Lovely!!  I can just see them scrambling at dusk, climbing over the Cessna plant just north of the field as they rose to protect central Kansas from Axis raiders.

Beautiful piece of work and quite the backstory.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 04:55:10 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 10:03:34 AM »
This is great, Brian! You really modernized the P-40; I tried to make something similar, but failed. It's hiding in my box of shame...

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 12:01:27 PM »
Nicely done!! :)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 01:15:43 PM »
Wonderful bubble P-40, thanks :-*
(so much more beautiful than its P-47 basis...) ;)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 07:34:46 PM »
You build the father of the P-40Q Brian. Excellent work!  :)

Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...