Author Topic: Claymore's AH AFVs: Take 2  (Read 140077 times)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Re: Claymore's AH AFVs: Take 2
« Reply #200 on: July 02, 2017, 07:02:58 PM »
 :)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #201 on: July 03, 2017, 03:12:38 AM »
The idea of a racing tank gave me the biggest smile I've had all day.

This one will be a lot of fun to watch.

Brian da Basher

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #202 on: July 03, 2017, 10:44:32 PM »
If I end up getting the 90acre block I'm looking at a racing tank would be prefect for it

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #203 on: July 04, 2017, 06:25:05 AM »
The idea of a racing tank gave me the biggest smile I've had all day.

This one will be a lot of fun to watch.

Brian da Basher

I'm here to please...   ;D
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Claymore

« Reply #204 on: July 04, 2017, 06:26:13 AM »
If I end up getting the 90acre block I'm looking at a racing tank would be prefect for it

I look forward to hearing all about it!  :)

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #205 on: July 04, 2017, 07:04:47 PM »
Looks good

Offline Claymore

« Reply #206 on: July 16, 2017, 05:16:07 AM »
Cambodian Centurion (Tiger) Update:

“The tiger depends upon the forest, the forest depends upon the tiger.” Cambodian Proverb

During Operation Suryarvarman II in 1972, the indigenous Dhole tank had fared indifferently against the Vietnamese T-54 Main Battle Tank. Then again, fighting a Soviet Main Battle Tank in an up gunned light tank, was a thoroughly unappealing option for most Armoured Corps crewman. Further, within the close confines of jungle warfare, it was the tank that fired first that usually survived, which promised to wear down the fewer Cambodian armoured reserves. Major Rouy shares his thoughts below:

“A Dhole provided you with protection against most enemy fire, but against a T-54 it could easily become your coffin. I remember a near miss, where a ten-cm shell from a T-54 tank went within a smidgen of our turret and, we decided not to stay around too long after that. In open combat… we never had a chance. So, we always had to be one step ahead. It was only because we could call up air strikes and had more tanks in theatre than the Vietnamese, that we eventually won.”

However, the poor state of the Cambodian treasury meant that the Army could only equip a single Tank Regiment. Several MBTs were considered including the Leopard One, M48 Patton and, the Centurion. The superb Leopard was ruled out on a cost and complexity basis, leaving the two warhorses of the Vietnamese era, the M48 Patton Tank and the Centurion to fight it out.

The Medium Tank Trials Unit (MTTU) was a temporary Cambodian Army unit formed to test the M 48 Patton and Centurion tanks to determine the most suitable tank to be used by the reconstituted 1st Royal Tank Regiment. The MTTU was formed in early 1973 by converted A Squadron, 1st Tank Regiment. The MTTU personnel were trained in the United States and Australia in early 1972 receiving two M48 Pattons, two Centurion Mk Vs and a M48 recovery vehicle in the middle of the year. The tank trails commenced in late 1972 at the School of Armour located at Das Kanchor, and the jungle warfare training school at Bamnak in Pursat Province. The trails were completed in March 1973, as the MTTU reverted to Bravo Squadron 1st Royal Tank Regiment. The Centurion was selected based on the results of the trials and entered service in the Cambodian Army in late 1973. Ultimately, the Centurion was declared the winner of the competition, not only due to the superiority of the Centurion relative to the Patton, but also due to American domestic opinion, which now openly shunned any further intervention in South East Asia.

Fortuitously, the Australian Army retired the Centurion Mk III tanks from their reserve regiments in 1972 to reduce their operational costs. Subsequently, the Cambodian diplomatic mission made an offer to purchase the mothballed reserve tanks for scrap value to the Whitlam government, which they expected would be rejected out of hand. Beset with a budgetary crisis, it was an offer the dysfunctional Whitlam government readily accepted. The newly purchased tanks were sent to Bandiana in Victoria by rail, where they were modified prior to being shipped to Cambodia.

Swarthy men wearing plain olive green uniforms speaking with a middle eastern accent, arrived in Bandiana, and started the upgrade program. Rumours swirled around the Australian Army that the tanks were in fact not going to Cambodia, but to Israel to replace the horrific losses sustained by the IDF Armoured Corps during the recent Yom Kippur war. Ultimately, it was a misconception that worked in the Cambodian’s favour.

The Israelis installed a 105mm gun into the Centurion, along with a Continental AVDS 17901-2A diesel engine mated to the Allison CD850-6 transmission. The armour was upgraded to Mk 13 standard and, an AN/VSS-3A IR searchlight was installed to allow night operations. Once the process was completed, the tanks were then secretly shipped to Cambodia.

Although not part of the Israeli upgrade, noting the Australian operational experience in Vietnam, it was standard practice for the Cambodians to fit an additional, external, fuel drum to the Tiger. This increased fuel stowage mitigated the increased fuel consumption experienced during jungle operations. Additionally, most crews opted to cut away their front track fenders, to stop them getting fouled by the thick foliage.

The secrecy of their service, prompted the peers of the 1st Royal Tank Regiment to refer to the tankers, as the Ghost soldiers. The moniker stuck, and the unit adopted the Phantom skull ring as their unofficial unit emblem, channelling the famous comic strip featuring the Ghost who Walks.

The Tiger first tasted blood during the 1976 invasion by the People’s Army of Vietnam, and was critically important in blunting the Vietnamese attack at Srae Seam. Indeed, the PAVN armoured forces were mauled on several occasions by the superb Cambodian Tiger tank crews, and the Tiger reigned supreme in Indochina until the T-72 was introduced by the Communists in 1988. The obsolescence of the Tiger ushered in a far more capable replacement, the legendary King Tiger.

The model below represents the Regimental Commander's tank of the 1st Royal Tank Regiment and is adapted from a AFV Club IDF Shot Kal 1973.

My thanks go to LRB for providing the backstory and inspiration.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 10:59:58 PM by Claymore »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #207 on: July 16, 2017, 05:59:45 AM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #208 on: July 16, 2017, 09:34:40 AM »
That's just perfect, build & story! Well done, both of you! :) :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Claymore

« Reply #209 on: July 16, 2017, 03:21:06 PM »
That's just perfect, build & story! Well done, both of you! :) :)

Many thanks. I now just need to finish off the King Tiger companion.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #210 on: July 20, 2017, 06:14:30 AM »
Now that's one Mighty Mean Green Machine!

Great stuff, love the subtle weathering!

Brian da Basher

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #211 on: July 21, 2017, 12:08:27 AM »
Many thanks. I now just need to finish off the King Tiger companion.
And what's _that_ going to be based on, he asked innocently??

Paul

Offline Claymore

« Reply #212 on: July 21, 2017, 07:06:32 AM »
And what's _that_ going to be based on, he asked innocently??

Paul

There are some mid-production pics on page 13 of this thread. The Cambodian King Tiger is a Chieftain Mk 11/Challenger 1 hybrid not unlike the realtime Jordanian Khalid.

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
« Reply #213 on: July 21, 2017, 07:57:26 AM »
That is a real nice, subtle WHIF Centurion.
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #214 on: July 24, 2017, 05:19:35 AM »
Tracked Land Speed Record:

In 2010, the Russian Army introduced the ‘Tank Biathlon’ series of Military Games in which, similar to the winter sport of biathlon, tank crews compete to demonstrate their rough terrain driving skills combined with the ability to provide accurate and rapid fire while performing manoeuvres.  These games proved to be a great success and increasingly took on an international flavour as more countries sent their crews and MBTs to participate.

Of course ownership of armoured vehicles is not the sole domain of the world’s militaries and it didn’t take long for the private sector to show an interest in what the Russians were doing.  Having said that, for very good reasons there are laws in most civilised counties preventing civilians from owning large calibre artillery pieces and/or the ammunition for said artillery pieces and, consequently, any civilian take on the tank biathlons would have to have a somewhat different flavour.

So it was that the sport of tank racing was born.  The early days, saw a series of meets where gentlemen with more money than was probably good for them came together with their ex-military service vehicles to compete in a variety of cross-country time trials where they could show off their prowess in command of their respective armoured toys.

It didn’t take long for the media to take an interest and for sponsors to realise that there was money to be made from this new and novel sport.  As the public interest and financial rewards of the new sport spiralled, the imperative to tie down an effective set of rules and regulations quickly resulted in two very distinct avenues of development:  Tank Rallying and Tank Drag Racing.  In order to maintain an element of competition, a number of sub categories were introduced to both racing styles specifying, amongst a myriad of technical minutia, all up weight and engine type.

With the desire to increase the performance of their armoured steeds, it wasn’t long before teams started making alterations to their vehicles in order to improve performance/handling/speed whilst staying inside the constraints of the sport’s regulations.  Generally, the first thing to go was the redundant main gun which, if not welded or clamped in place, only served to put unwanted sheer-pressures onto the turret.  Not entirely surprisingly, the entire turret was next to go as teams endeavoured to reduce the weight category of their vehicle whilst keeping the original power train.

These and a number of more subtle developments led to some very sleek and surprisingly fast armoured vehicles.  However, it was the appearance of Team Claymore’s cut down Challenger 1 in 2017 that entirely revolutionised the sport.  What they had done was to take a standard Challenger 1, remove its turret and then remove the portion of the hull that the turret sat on.  This process also reduced its number of road wheels per side from 6 to 4.  The end result was a reduction in the vehicle’s original 62 tonne to 30 tonnes.  At the same time, the vehicle’s 26 litre, 1,200hp, Perkins CV-12 Condor engine was upgraded and race tuned to output 1,500hp.  In other words, the vehicle’s power to weight ratio was boosted from 19.4 hp/tonne to 50 hp/tonne.

When entered into the 30-tonne class of both the Rally and Drag Races, Team Claymore’s vehicles (01 and 02) were the run-away winners and set a new tank land-speed record of 80.2 mph (128.3 Km/h).

The model depicts Team Claymore’s vehicle ‘02’ which won the European Tank Rally Championship in record time and then which went on to set a new World Tracked Speed Record in its class.  It is made from parts from two different Tamiya Challenger 1 models, some pieces from a Takom Chieftain Mk 11, plastic card and a selection of home grown decals.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 11:12:07 PM by Claymore »

Offline Jacques Deguerre

• Older and fatter but not wiser.
« Reply #215 on: July 24, 2017, 09:06:05 AM »
Wow Claymore, that is just too darn cool!  :D

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #216 on: July 24, 2017, 10:42:49 AM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #217 on: July 24, 2017, 12:29:56 PM »
That's just brilliant, mate! Absolutely brilliant! Love it! 8) 8) 8) :-* :-* :-*
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Claymore

« Reply #218 on: July 24, 2017, 02:26:47 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  :)

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #219 on: July 24, 2017, 03:57:42 PM »
That's just brilliant, mate! Absolutely brilliant! Love it! 8) 8) 8) :-* :-* :-*

I couldn't agree more! Just fantastic!

Brian da Basher

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #220 on: July 27, 2017, 01:30:50 AM »
Really cool. The shape really reminds me of the German E-10 or E-25 designs of 1945.

Paul

Offline Claymore

« Reply #221 on: July 27, 2017, 08:40:21 PM »
I couldn't agree more! Just fantastic!

Brian da Basher

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

Really cool. The shape really reminds me of the German E-10 or E-25 designs of 1945.

Paul

I see what you mean.  It's that squat squared off look!  :))

Offline Claymore

« Reply #222 on: August 15, 2017, 03:37:37 AM »
Cambodian King Tiger Update:

My thanks to La Rouge Beret for providing the excellent backstory...

A mountain never has two tigers” Cambodian Proverb

The Asiatic Lion (Panthera leo persica), or ‘Shir’ (Persian: شیر‎‎), ranged from eastern Turkey, across Mesopotamia and into eastern India. It was here that the mighty Persian Lion met the Bengal Tiger, and historical records indicated that on occasion the two fought, but often comfortably coexisted. Reflecting the success of the Persian traders throughout South East Asia, stylised stone Persian lions adorned temple and palace gates as guardians. Indeed, stone lions still guard the buildings of Angkor Wat, a role that another Persian Lion also performed for the contemporary Kingdom of Cambodia.

The unveiling of the T – 72 Main Battle Tank, by the People’s Army of Vietnam, during the annual May Day parade in Hanoi in 1987, rendered the venerable Tiger tank obsolete overnight. Although, the Defence Ministry originally considered a further upgrade to the Tiger, it was ruled out due to cost, and the age of the fleet.

A search for a replacement to the tank stipulated two requirements, firstly the prospective MBT could defeat a T – 72, and effectively operate at the tail end of an arduous logistical network. The contenders to replace the Tiger included; the Leopard 2, the M – 60 Patton, the AMX 30 and a Chieftain derivative. However, despite the other vehicles’ advantages, cost and politics played a decisive role in this search.

The competition’s winner was the Shir 1, a variant of the Chieftain used by the Javidan Guard, heir to the battle honours and traditions of King Darius’ elite bodyguard, better known in the West as the Immortals. Supplanted by the equally impressive Shir 2, the interim Shir 1 was decommissioned from Iranian service without having fired a shot in anger. As opportunistic as ever, the Cambodian government offered to purchase the mothballed Shir 1 fleet at cost prices, which the Iranians accepted in exchange for concessionary trade deals. As the Shir 1 replaced the beloved Centurion, it’s moniker changed to fit its new hunting grounds in the jungle, so the desert Lion morphed into the King Tiger.

The Shir 1 was developed as an interim design that would precede the all-new "Shir 2" MBT combat system, which became in time the Challenger 1 MBT. Development began in 1974 and was based on the Chieftain MBT, the standard main battle tank of the British Army at the time. The Iranians were already the largest foreign operator of the Chieftain with over 700 of the type in service. Three prototypes of the Shir 1 were made ready in 1977 and, production began at Royal Ordnance Factory, Leeds thereafter. 125 Shir 1 models were ordered by the government of Iran, with a further 1,225 Shir 2 tanks delivered during the 1980s.

The Shir 1 MBT was finished with a Perkins Condor V12 12-cylinder; water-cooled diesel-fueled engine developing 1,200 horsepower and was mated to an automatic transmission. Beyond these changes, the Shir 1 remained faithful to the original Chieftain design, excluding a raised engine compartment to house the new power plant. Essentially, the Shir 1 was a hybrid of the Chieftain and Challenger 1.

Outwardly, there was very little to distinguish the Cambodian King Tiger breed formed the Iranian model. Except that the forward hull and turret were upgraded to the Chieftain Mk 11 standard, including the addition of the Thermal Observation and Gun Sight (TOGS) system mounted on the turret.

As in the Chieftain, primary armament of the King Tiger was the powerful and accurate 120mm L11A5 rifled main gun and this was augmented by the fitting of a 7.62mm L8A2 coaxial machine gun for anti-infantry defence. A second 7.62mm L37A2 machine gun was fitted at the commander's cupola for point defence against low-flying aircraft as well as oncoming infantry. A third L7A2 GPMG was commonly fitted on a flexible mount by the loader’s hatch for added point defence. There were 12 total electrically-actuated smoke grenade dischargers set in two banks of six each along the front turret sides and these could be used to cover the tank's movements from enemy gunners. The King Tiger can also create smoke by injecting diesel fuel into the exhaust manifolds. A laser range finder and gun stabilization assisted in providing for accurate fire at range as well as firing on-the-move. The main gun was stabilized along both axes.

The King Tiger’s inauguration on the battlefield, occurred during the Cambodian relief of the Third Royal Thai Army just outside of Luang Prabang, during the 1988 Laotian emergency. The Cambodian Strategic Reserve along with the Royal Thai Army’s 2nd Cavalry Division smashed into the Vietnamese ‘Steel and Iron’ Corps flanks, creating an opening for the encircled Royal Thai Third Army to retreat. The battle was also noteworthy for its use of chemical weapons by both sides, prompting the Cambodians to retaliate with thermobaric weapons deployed via their 203mm T-55 MBRL. During the battle, the King Tiger encountered the Vietnamese T – 72, comprehensively mauling their Vietnamese peers from the 202nd tank regiment. This was due to two reasons, the superiority of the Cambodian King Tiger relative to the export variant of the T – 72. However, the decisive edge was provided by the superior training provided to the tankers of the 1st Royal Tank Regiment. To this day, the venerable Persian Lion still stands watch on Cambodia’s borders, ready to rend any of her foes apart.

It is an interesting historic footnote to know that the Cambodian's AFV tactical marking system was purposely confusing in order to disguise the relatively few vehicles in their fleet. Thus the model appears to depict a King Tiger Call-sign 215, of the 43rd Squadron, of the 5th Heavy Battalion, of the 1st Royal Tank Regiment.  In reality, the vehicle depicted is Call-sign 215 of B Squadron, 1st Royal Tank Regiment.  The King Tiger is made from parts of a Takom Chieftain Mk 11, A Tamiya Challenger 1 and, of course, the ubiquitous plastic card. (Note: The paint scheme is loosely based on the US MERDC camouflage system.  It was hand painted and took for ever to get into all the nooks and crannies!  Having made the Cambodian Tiger look fairly beaten up and battle worn, I wanted to keep the King Tiger relatively pristine.)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 11:01:31 PM by Claymore »

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #223 on: August 15, 2017, 05:57:23 AM »
very cool

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #224 on: August 15, 2017, 06:21:34 AM »
What a stunner! Love the camo!

Brian da Basher