Author Topic: P-47 Pengie from the 1/72 Revell P-47M  (Read 4291 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
P-47 Pengie from the 1/72 Revell P-47M
« on: February 18, 2014, 06:30:16 AM »
Two things brought about the development of the much-lauded Republic P-47 I inline fighter of legend. The first was the discovery (quite by accident) of the bubble canopy by chewing gum magnate Henry Frank Fleer.

The second was the failure of the Pratt & Whitney R-2800-59 engine, necessitating a replacement. The Curtiss Conqueror XX inline was found to be just the ticket and the P-47 I was born. First taking to the air in 1943, the new fighter was found to have superior speed and performance to anything else flying and could take hits that would obliterate other aircraft.

By far, the most iconic example of the P-47 I was "Pengie" flown by Capt. Gladych of the 61st Fighter Squadron, based at Kings Cliffe, Northamptonshire.

The P-47 I would prove to be the hottest inline-powered late-war fighter to see combat in western Europe until replaced by the P-51 Mustang. Capt. Gladych would go on to score 15 victories in his beloved P-47 "Pengie" until he was downed by flak over Saarbrücken in 1944.

While Capt. Gladych's P-47 I may be gone, it's certainly not forgotten. Models of "Pengie" in various scales can be seen littering club displays and competition tables at modelling shows all over the world to this day.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 06:47:35 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: P-47 Pengie from the 1/72 Revell P-47M
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 06:46:29 AM »
This all started with the 1/72 Revell P-47M.

While certainly not an über-kit by any stretch, its simplicity is a blessing to a modeler like me. I knew I wanted to swap out the engine for something a bit different, and the one from a 1/32 Testors/Hawk Curtiss racer seemed a decent, if unlikely fit.

Of course, the kit prop wouldn't do. I grafted a spinner on to a cast-off Mosquito prop for something more fitting for World War II.

Once it was all built, I had to figure out colors and markings. Capt. Gladych's "Pengie" is no stranger to many of you, and luckily, there's so many different versions, things are ripe for blurring reality just a little.

I had some tiny penguin decals left over from a 1/144 Douglas RD-4C of Operation Highjump fame. With just a little bit of paint here and there, I had my version of the famous "Pengie" on the nose.

The rest of the decals were from spares and the entire model was brush-painted by hand in acrylics. I had a lot of fun building this one, which took me about five days from start to finish.

Many thanks to Mr Fontaine for sending me the Curtiss racer that allowed me to pull this off.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 07:53:01 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 11:43:19 AM »
Did it again - you got the touch with bashing these single engine prop fighters.
Cutting fuselage like that and attaching an inline aint sposed to work,,, but it does in its own delightful funky way :)
Front & rear red adds character & interest.
Thanks for tip on Mr Fleer's role in bubble canopy concept.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 05:45:29 PM by finsrin »

Offline CSMO

• Don't need no filthy stinking airbrush!
  • Plastic Butcher, & Master of Three-foot Scale.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 12:03:28 PM »
Is there no limit to the things you do to poor, defenseless model airplane kits? Another "Flight of Fancy" from the Maestro.  Adios, Larry.
Field Artillerymen do it with a bigger BANG!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 02:56:48 PM »
Looks like a mouth...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.