Author Topic: SturmJagd-1, Berlin 1946  (Read 6289 times)

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
SturmJagd-1, Berlin 1946
« on: August 25, 2012, 01:11:14 PM »
Dug an old kit out yesterday arvo & started converting it -- Tamiya's Sturmtiger in 35th scale.  I've been thinking that despite being built in mid-1944, by early 1945 the big mortar was redundant to needs as there were no German Army assaults happening -- they being on the defensive on every front.  So I decided to make it into a Tank-killer by retro-fitting a 128mm gun.
Despite it's cost of $69, the kit is fairly simple with most parts making up the wheels & individual-link tracks (YUK !!)

I needed a new mount for the gun & found that half a ping-pong ball fitted nicely in the large hole in the superstructure.  Yet another ball-point pen made a good barrel & a Warhammer base with a collar from an Italeri Elephant made the armoured mantlet.

I will only add a few other new bits 'n' pieces to the model but am wondering about paint for it ..... either a 1970's "Berlin Brigade" type scheme (but different colours) or this one to blend in with an urban setting ?? .....

Thinking that as crews had to wait a few days at the depot for the conversion-kit to arrive or for the conversion to be done, they had time to paint the vehicle & added some foliage to the rear-deck and a liberated picket-fence to complete the disguise once back at the front.

British tank-crews had a saying in Normandy ... " beware of moving haystacks" ... the Russians in Berlin learnt to beware of moving houses ......

« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 01:18:38 PM by raafif »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: SturmJagd-1, Berlin 1946
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 03:14:05 AM »
Good idea. :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 07:16:48 PM »
This is just crazy enough it could work!

Nice to see another wonderful raafif creation in the works! This one's gonna be fun!

Brian da Basher

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 09:35:52 AM »
Whoa, that's cool!  :) The picket fence for a skirt is a neat idea. And with any luck, it might even be effective against HEAT rounds.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 07:56:32 AM »
Looking good. :)
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 10:59:35 PM »
Raafif, lovin' the new mobile home idea!  ;)
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 10:12:44 AM »
Back to this model ...
                SturmJäger-1, Berlin 1946 -- last tank out of the emergency rebuild shed ...
 just a coat of paint, added the periscope to the front-left corner & doing the wheels ....

After seeing this done on a model on another site, I decided to do a few repacement wheels (Panther inners & rubber-Tiger-1) from wecks on each side too as the supply of parts is non-existant at this stage of the war.  I'm adding more wreck-wheels to the superstructure for aditional armour.

Still have to get some transport track for one side of it ....

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 10:23:56 AM »
Looking good.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 04:13:52 AM »
Could have a lot of fun with the additional wheels on other models too... Good thinking  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 07:56:08 AM »
just a quick update now that I've got most of the track on - standard track one one side & transport on the other.  I should have interspersed some standard links in the transport track to indicate that it had been repaired in a hurry to get it moving again.

Next job will be masking the tracks, cleaning up the base colour & adding an ambush scheme ....

I will NEVER build another model with indy tracks !!!
I used the kit tracks which said 96 links per side - I used 101 links per side to get the proper sag & could have made a slightly better job by leaving the idler off till last & setting it at a better angle to tension it properly.

From now on, if I can't get replacement rubber-band tracks from somewhere, I won't build the kit ! so it doesn't look good for another project currently side-lined - a rebuild of my 30yr old Italeri Elephant ammo-carrier whose tracks have disintegrated :icon_twisted:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 08:16:41 AM by raafif »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 11:49:44 AM »
LOL... indy tracks..  8)

Well it certainly is a whopper, be interesting trying to get the trigonometry right to get that around some narrow street corners.
As a stand off weapon wow !

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 12:39:40 PM »
Well, here we are back to an old project after nearly 4 years ! No wonder the old photos have gone  :-[

The JagdPanzer Sturm ('46) is Tamiya's SturmTiger with a new long gun (Papermate Kilometrico pen + Warhammer base & some putty), I decided to make this vehicle a quick upgrade tank to make it competitive with the newer Russian tanks.  One track is the narrower “transport” type to make it look like a rushed job to get it back into combat.  To finish it I settled for a standard camo as I had lots of problems with the base coat - Humbrol no longer seem to have any quality control on colour standards, they vary very widely bewteen tins bought at the same time even :'(

Had lots of problems with the single-link tracks too which are ABS plastic in this kit so normal model glue didn't work - had to mix my own glue (MEK + plastic sprue) which I now use exclusively as it is slightly better than brand glue & about 20 times cheaper ! :) .
I "damaged" some left-over tank wheels & hung them on for extra armour.

Finally finished :smiley:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 12:43:58 PM by raafif »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 09:40:40 PM »
That's some superlative paint work, raafif! I especially like how you did the gun barrel and added that damaged spare wheel.

Most excellent and well worth the wait!

Brian da Basher