Author Topic: Grumman S-2 Tracker and derivatives  (Read 31110 times)

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Re: Grumman S-2 Tracker and derivatives
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2015, 10:31:53 AM »
You mentioned the Mohawk earlier and I was thinking the Attacker Tracker would look cool with those bulged out side windows. Sounds like you have a whiff half done.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2015, 10:46:50 AM »
For the new, more aggressive nose, how about something patterned after the original solid-nose of the Neptune, with guns?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2015, 11:55:17 AM »
For the new, more aggressive nose, how about something patterned after the original solid-nose of the Neptune, with guns?
That is way more work/surgery than I want to invest in converting the Tracker.  Package guns should be sufficient for strafing ship type targets during the torpedo run to the target.  For any air-to-ground work the four guns and rockets under the wing should be enough to pulverize most targets.  Other missions such as mine-laying would not require the guns as speed and range would be more valuable for such missions. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 01:09:28 AM »
oh, scheme it in SEAC with black undersides a-la B-52, AC-130 etc

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2015, 01:39:32 AM »
oh, scheme it in SEAC with black undersides a-la B-52, AC-130 etc
For the time period, I would imagine the Attack Tracker would have been in overall dark sea blue. :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2015, 09:51:58 AM »

Hmm!  think on this I will  --------   ;)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2015, 12:35:38 PM »
A B-25H type nose, or one incorporating a 57mm Molins gun, or two/three/four?  ;)

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2016, 12:02:29 PM »
Take the expensive but easy way out and kit bash the Tracker with the Greyhound or Hawkeye for the wings and engines.  Then you could go retro with the Hawkeye or Greyhound and give it some radials :)

Indeed.

S2F-4 came very close to being a production aircraft.

:icon_fsm:

JCF, what else do you have on this (I assume turboprop-powered) S2F-4 variant in the way of info/data? Would be very interested!!
M.A.D

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2018, 04:38:07 AM »
S2-T
US Army
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2018, 01:56:30 AM »
S2-T
US Army

In a heavy CAS style role?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline M.A.D

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2018, 10:31:34 AM »
Im pretty sure the US Army in 'real-world' terms studied an actual COIN related derivative of the Tracker during the time of the Vietnam War.....now where did I read that....  :-\

M.A.D

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2018, 10:47:29 AM »
With Sand Point NAS near by remember lot of Trackers flying over neighborhood as a kid.  Later when in P-2 squadron were plenty Trackers around.  Attack/bomber version is interesting subject.

Offline M.A.D

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2018, 06:22:03 PM »
Ok, I found one of the articles I read about the USAF (and not the U.S. Army!) want to use the Tracker in COIN role in Vietnam:

The U.S. Air Force Wanted to Turn Navy Sub-Hunters Into Attack Aircraft
https://warisboring.com/the-u-s-air-force-wanted-to-turn-navy-sub-hunters-into-attack-aircraft/

M.A.D

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2018, 07:22:48 PM »
Ok, I found one of the articles I read about the USAF (and not the U.S. Army!) want to use the Tracker in COIN role in Vietnam:

The U.S. Air Force Wanted to Turn Navy Sub-Hunters Into Attack Aircraft
https://warisboring.com/the-u-s-air-force-wanted-to-turn-navy-sub-hunters-into-attack-aircraft/

M.A.D
A most interesting article.  Seems good if had the S-2s and done it.

Online apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2018, 07:34:26 AM »
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline ScranJ51

• Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2018, 12:30:22 PM »
Re Trackers and COIN, I seem to remember an old RAN filmclip about a HMAS MELBOURNE deployment to NZ, and that had vision of a Tracker firing 5 inch FF Rockets at a range.  ???
Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2018, 03:37:55 AM »
Re Trackers and COIN, I seem to remember an old RAN filmclip about a HMAS MELBOURNE deployment to NZ, and that had vision of a Tracker firing 5 inch FF Rockets at a range.  ???

The 5.0"/127mm HVAR were an integral part of the Tracker for many years with solid shot warheads being carried to punch holes in surfaced submarine targets.  Other warheads for the HVAR could be carried but that would depend on the mission and targets to be encountered.  Other weapons (rockets, bombs, gun pods, etc.) compatible with the S-2 would also have been included for use in the COIN mission.

As far as the COIN mission envisioned for the Tracker, this comment from Greg Goebels Air Vectors appears to describe it best for sharing here:
(Source Page Link) * One of the might-have-beens of the Tracker story was consideration of its use as a gunship in Vietnam. The idea wasn't ridiculous, the Lockheed P2V Neptune having seen some use as a "jungle fighter" in the conflict. The Air Force was looking for a "Self Contained Night Attack (SNCA)" platform that could locate targets on its own at night and engage them; the Tracker seemed to have the payload capability to do the job.

The gunship Tracker was to be designated the "AS-2D". It was to be fitted with "forward looking infrared (FLIR)" and "low light level TV (LLLTV)" sensors to obtain targets, with the Tracker's standard searchlight slaved to the LLLTV. Weapons were to consist of cluster munitions dispensers in the bombbay and stores carried on the underwing pylons. Two "YAS-2D" evaluation machines were planned, but the effort ran into technical and organizational difficulties, with the Air Force pulling the plug on the exercise in early 1968. It would have been interesting to see what the Tracker would look like in jungle camouflage.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2018, 08:41:38 PM »
Not sure what was in my coffee and peanut butter and jam toast this morning but here is the result.

S2-LD-Stretch-final
by Big Gimper, on Flickr
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 08:53:13 PM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2018, 03:17:30 AM »
Need side view or at least a normal version alongside for comparison
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 03:19:29 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2018, 06:37:25 AM »
I can give you the original drawing and the side view of how I will build it.  Still working on the full colour side view.

S2-LD-Stretch-V1
by Big Gimper, on Flickr

S2-LD-Stretch-final
by Big Gimper, on Flickr

S2-P-Stretch-V1
by Big Gimper, on Flickr
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2018, 09:38:31 AM »
So what;s the proposed role of this creature?

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2018, 12:32:57 AM »
Well, I've done a flying-boat Tracker (you may remember her) ...

... & I have 2 more in the stash, one of which will be Real World from my Tracker Whacker days.

The third is going to be whiffed as a Coastal/Maritime Patrol & Surveillance aircraft, with a turboprop conversion, to be employed by the Royal Australian Navy Coast Guard.

Now, what I would like from you guys is some inspiration for this future build.

Let's start with a little list of areas to look at;

1.) Engines* - obviously the Garrett/Honeywell TPE331 (T76) or Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A but are there any other possibilities?

2.) Surveillance packages* - what would be some useful data gathering & interpreting systems suitable for general coastal/maritime ELINT?

3.) Patrol packages* - optical & electronic search systems suitable for general coastal/maritime detection & observation tasks?

4.) Integrated systems - how would these packages be incorporated into the airframe with minimal alteration of the existing lay-out (remembering that this is not meant to be a weapons carrier).

* - Any photo's you may have of the visible aspects of any suggested options would be greatly appreciated (with measurements, please).

Cheers! :icon_beer: ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2018, 01:09:29 AM »
What time frame are you looking at? Modern or maybe 1980's?

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2018, 01:14:46 AM »
You've listed the two main engine options.  The only others I can think of possibly being used are the Turbomeca Astazou and the Walter engine used on the LET-410.  The first seems to get replaced, a lot, by the Garrett?Honeywell engine (for example, the prototype MU-2 had Astazous, all production MU-2s have Garrett/Honeywell TPE331s; TPE331s replaced Astazous in later models of the Jetstream) and I doubt the Walter engine would be used much outside the Eastern Bloc.  Engine choice might depend on time frame as it was not until the 1990s that the PT6A, with FADEC, developed the same throttle responsiveness as the TPE331; if that is a concern.

For maritime patrol activities, you might want to add bulged side windows, as on the MU-2S maritime patrol variant of the short MU-2. 

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2018, 03:27:11 AM »
the Walter engine used on the LET-410 .... I doubt the Walter engine would be used much outside the Eastern Bloc. 

The engine is the  Walter M601. In the industry it's often considered as an Eastern block PT6.   It is useable on non Eastern bloc platforms though given that GE now offer uprated derivatives called the H75 (750 shp), H80 (800 shp) and H85 (850 shp).  I suppose they could follow the PT6 route and develop a big version in the 1700 shp range to equate to the TPEs/PT6s.

Re other options, both the Argentine and Taiwanese S-2Ts have TPE-331-15AW turboprops rated at 1645 shp each:

Whilst the Turbo Firecat has PT6A-67AFs rated at 1700 shp each

Other options might include the GE CT7/T700 which starts out at about 1,622 shp and goes up from there (it is used on multiple platforms such as the CN-235 shown below).  One advantage from a Royal Australian Navy  POV would be that the basic engine is the same a the T700 used in the SeaHawks.

Another option might be something such as a member of the P&W 100 family (maybe a PW118, PW120 or PW123) which range in power from 1800 - 2400 shp and are used on multiple platforms scubas as Dash-8s or CL415s amongst others: