Author Topic: D-LZFN Zeppelin Air  (Read 5576 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
D-LZFN Zeppelin Air
« on: May 03, 2012, 05:44:25 AM »
It was the summer of 1937 and the Hindenburg disaster was still fresh in everyone's mind. Against this backdrop, during the Paris disarmament talks, der Führer und Reichskanzler, Adolf Hitler was caught en flagrante delecto with a tray of pastries in his suite at the Georges V. Hitler and the Nazis were tossed from power in what Le Monde called L'Incidente les pouffes de la creme or the Cream Puff Incident. This gave Hugo Eckener, head of Deutsche Zeppelin Luftschiffbau, the opportunity to once again press the U.S. to supply him with helium. In early 1938, deliveries of helium began. While Deutsche Zeppelin Luftschiffbau had to scrap their grand plans for the Graf Zeppelin II due to cost over-runs, they were able to salvage enough to complete a new airship, the D-LZFN touted as flying safely with incombustible helium.

While some were apprehensive flying in an airship, those that did marveled at the speed and comfort the D-LZFN offered compared to ocean liners of the day. By 1939, all of the D-LZFN's Atlantic crossings were sold out. Crowds on the ground greeted the airship with great excitement wherever it flew, whether over New York, London, Paris, Berlin or Buenos Aires.

Unfortunately, wars in South America and Europe limited ocean crossings by 1941. The D-LZFN was sold off with all the other assets of the Deutsche Zeppelin Luftschiffbau when they went into bankruptcy in 1942. The once proud airship became home to the "Twirl & Hurl" ride at Kiddie Land amusement park in Weehawken, New Jersey until destroyed in a cotton candy explosion in 1972.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 06:03:56 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: D-LZFN Zeppelin Air
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 05:49:50 AM »
The basis for this project was the venerable Glencoe U.S. Navy blimp kit. As I'd robbed the fins and engines from mine for other projects, I had to figure something out. I started by making new fins from plastic card and adding a gondola made from a sub conning tower. Then I fashioned new engine nacelles from small bombs and scraps from my spares box.

Next I had to get some painting done...

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 05:51:50 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 05:54:16 AM »
First I applied a primer coat of white artist's gesso. After I decided to use the decals from the Revell Zeppelin NT kit, I thought a bottle of new duck-egg blue would be a good choice.

While it took four coats of duck-egg blue, I like the way it looks with the dark blue livery.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 06:05:44 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 05:56:51 AM »
Here's the last of what remains of the D-LZFN, some old color photos taken during the famous North Atlantic crossing in 1939.

Brian da Basher

Offline arc3371

• Takes no responsibility should anyone try to turn the drawings into plastic...but we will still hold him accountable for the madness that ensues!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 06:22:37 AM »
We dont see enough airships here, nice work

Offline tc2324

• Just slightly on the edge of madness......!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 06:33:13 AM »
Love it.  :)

Great work Brian.
Whiffing is for Life...., not just for Christmas!!!

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 06:36:06 AM »
Very nice work mate - I do like your airships!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 11:12:07 AM »
Very impressive and a good demonstration on re-purposing plastic cards for model building. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 03:19:23 PM »
All four of the above + cute + cool.....   8)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 06:30:23 PM »
Outstanding!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 02:16:42 AM »
Way Cool Bashman!  :)
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 07:21:42 AM »
Great job on the old "venerable" Glencoe gasbag! I saw the seams on mine and blanched.
If you stand your Zeppelin on its tail, it looks like a rocketship from a 1930's serial!

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 07:24:34 AM »
Very impressive and a good demonstration on re-purposing plastic cards for model building.

Yes, it turns out that credit cards really can be useful. Great stuff Brian!  :)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline sequoiaranger

• Gone but not forgotten. He already has a team of angels working up his bench in the sky!
  • Holding Pattern
  • E Pluribus Unum (modeling style)
Giant Cargo Submarine!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 11:44:15 PM »
That's what I see when I look at it upside-down!!
My mind is like a compost heap--fertile AND rotten!

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 12:31:47 PM »
Belated congratulations!