Author Topic: The Biplane 'Bolt  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
The Biplane 'Bolt
« on: January 11, 2020, 02:48:25 AM »

While the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt is legendary

far less known are some of the prototypes which preceded it. One of these was the Biplane 'Bolt.

Conceived as a modernized follow-on to the Seversky XPH-29

this revolutionary heavy interceptor was officially known as the Thunder Cloud II but would eventually be retconned as the Biplane 'Bolt.

Design work began in the mid-1930s as part of the War Department's Continental Coordinated Air Defense Operations Plan.

While this strategy employed various measures to protect the U.S. from enemy attack, it was only slightly less complex than the detailed engineering Republic needed to get their large interceptor off the ground.

The prototype completed flight testing and the U.S. Army Air Corps, still believing in the supremacy of highly maneuverable biplanes, thought they had the perfect weapon to defend American skies. It was an intimidating aircraft indeed, carrying no less than 14 high-caliber machine guns although armorers simply considered this job security.

Unfortunately, the new interceptor would be quickly overtaken by the march of technology and by the time the war started, it was relegated to testing and other second-line duties.

By 1942, the U.S. had fully mobilized all resources for the war effort.

This included the Biplane 'Bolt which just participated in the West Virginia Wormwood maneuvers, performing Op Force recon. It was winging its way back to the Republic plant in Farmingdale, Long Island when local Civil Defense spotted suspected enemy aerial intruders.

The alarm was raised and the Biplane 'Bolt was ordered to intercept the invaders.

Even though the Paris of Appalachia was surprised by the alert, the enemy turned out to be just a rogue flock of pigeons.

The all-clear was sounded shortly after the Biplane 'Bolt made sure there was no airborne threat and continued on its way.

However, it was not all-clear for this prototype which by now was clearly obsolete. The Air Corps ordered it stripped for usable parts and what little remained became atomized by rapid-fire gunnery practice.

Nothing exists of it today except this model which was built using a one-off conversion set. It's shown here accurately depicted in war games camouflage wearing bold numerals which are less an aircraft identifier and more a warning that 100% death and dismemberment coverage is required to operate the type.

Sadly the Biplane 'Bolt is mostly forgotten today. A vision of the future that might have been, while it had two sets of wings, it never really had a prayer.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 03:50:50 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: The Biplane 'Bolt
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 03:21:44 AM »
This is a refurb of sorts that started when I came across an old build, the 1/72 scale XLRP Ranger I made five years ago.

Time had not been kind and the model lost its prop and horizontal stabilizers. However, when I happened across another old P-47, I knew just what to do.

I chopped off the wings and stuck them on the XLRP to create the Biplane 'Bolt. The new horizontal stabilizers came from a wrecked F8F Bearcat that was in a box of built models and parts a good friend sent me recently (thanks a million, Bill!).

The new prop was salvaged from a box-scale Monogram P-40N. The model was painted by hand in acrylics and the wing roundels were spares.

It only took me a couple of days to put this together and aside from sticking the new wings on, the hardest part was the paint.

I hope you enjoyed the Biplane 'Bolt and reading a little more lost aircraft history even if the so-called "experts" refuse to believe it and think the whole thing is just mangled multi-winged weirdness.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 03:40:26 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 08:00:59 AM »
You are gifted with the insanity of Whiffery  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Well done as always  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 08:42:50 AM »
Exceeds even stout Seversky XPH-29 as a super biplane.   Conventional wisdom says NO... Biplane 'Bolt wont work look right and such.   Yet here it be thanks to your parts scrutiny skills and design finesse. :smiley:

Another unfortunate aviation victim of rapidly changing technology and times.   Yet cool classic in its own right....  8)  8)  8)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 04:37:05 AM »
Even more convincing as a kick-ass biplane fighter than Michael Gregor's Canadian Car and Foundry-built FDB-1  :smiley: :smiley:

"I hope you enjoyed the Biplane 'Bolt and reading a little more lost aircraft history even if the so-called "experts" refuse to believe it and think the whole thing is just mangled multi-winged weirdness."

Indeed. And, of course, the Biplane 'Bolt deserves recognition much more than the little-known (and unbuilt) Republic XP-47A concept ...
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 06:42:47 PM »
That looks cool.  Nice one

Offline JayBee

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 01:31:38 AM »
BDB, to use the well known Glasgow expression "Yer aff yer heed!"
.... but I do like it a lot  ;D
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 02:38:23 AM »
14 guns would put up a nice wall of lead! Too bad the pilot's forward visibility was nil because of that upper wing.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 04:32:48 AM »
Too bad the pilot's forward visibility was nil because of that upper wing.

Oh cr*p all my whiffs have a weak point.
 ;D ;D ;D
Brian da Basher