Author Topic: U.S. Navy Martin AWAM Mugger - A Calamity in 1/72 Scale  (Read 6420 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
U.S. Navy Martin AWAM Mugger - A Calamity in 1/72 Scale
« on: August 25, 2016, 06:41:11 AM »
The Martin AM-1 Mauler is one of the more famous post-war U.S. Navy also-rans. Less well-known is a relative, the Martin AWAM "Mugger".

During the insanely complex and protracted AM-1 development cycle, a frustrated Navy Bureau of Aeronautics requested a simpler, stop-gap version of the Mauler which would be capable of all-weather operations. Thus the AWAM (All Weather Attack, Martin) was born.

BuAer was impressed with the pared-down design right off the drawing board. While the AM-1 Mauler limped its way to the mock-up stage, a service test squadron of its new cousin, the AWAM was ordered into production.

When asked about the AWAM's flight characteristics, the test pilot replied "It was like being mugged up there!" and the name stuck. Despite stiff controls that required man-handling, the Mugger was still an impressive aircraft.

By the late winter of 1950, initial test flights had been completed and a squadron of Martin AWAM Muggers was dispatched to the base on Whidbey Island, Washington for aircraft carrier trials off the Pacific coast. This would prove fortunate timing indeed.

1950 was a hot year for the Red Scare that would dominate the decade. Communist agents bored their way into many corners of American society and even the most innocuous places could be harboring a hive of enemy spies & saboteurs. Seattle landmark Ivar's was no exception.

The owner, Ivar Haglund, was a shrewd businessman, patriotic American and a very keen observer. He smelled something fishy.

see the movie here

After closing one night, Ivar found a copy of Das Kapital stained with clam juice near the seafood bar. His suspicions confirmed, he called the FBI who were soon hot on the heels of the infiltrators.

It was rumored the commie clams had relocated to a small, uncharted island near Canadian waters. What plots they were hatching there no one knew, but the prospect was spine-chilling.

The FBI in turn called the Navy as the test squadron of Muggers was the closest military unit to the red hideout. A pre-emptive strike was called for. It seemed an ideal test for the new attack planes.

Orders were cut and the Muggers were each armed with two 800 lb. bombs. The aircraft took off at 0-dark-30 on a heading for the secret nest of Soviet spies.

Daybreak brought low clouds thick as clam chowder and the new Martin Muggers went off course, giving them the distinction of being the first post-war all weather attack aircraft to get lost in the fog.

A correction was made which improved things somewhat and the aircraft went into their bomb-run with grit and determination.

Unfortunately, there'd been a mis-calculation and the Muggers dropped their loads too early.

Luckily, the explosions scared the cowardly commie clams and they cravenly beat it back behind the Iron Curtain.

The Navy and FBI were happy at the Bolshie bivalves' departure and grateful some nebulous, nefarious plot had been pre-empted.

This near-miss wouldn't keep the government from spinning it all as a great success and both the Martin Mugger and Ivar Haglund were lionized nation-wide in the press.

The Martin AWAM Mugger went on to undertake aircraft carrier trials shortly after the red menace was dispatched.

While these were completed successfully, each and every pilot flying the Mugger suffered various arm and wrist sprains due to the stiffness of the controls. This would spell doom for the AWAM, especially once the Mauler made it past the mock-up stage.

The Mugger was quickly superceded by Mauler as soon as they became available and none survive today.

The only reminder left is this Hashbox Snap-Tite model and the fading memories of a few old salts who've kept clammed up about the whole thing ever since.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 07:52:56 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: U.S. Navy Martin AWAM Mugger - A Calamity in 1/72 Scale
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 07:34:21 AM »
This all started with the venerable Minicraft 1/144 "Independence" Douglas C-118 (DC-6 to us civilians). Once again, the box art does not disappoint.

I had an idea involving a few extra parts, namely a 1/48 Hs-129 engine & cowling and wings as well as a 1/72 prop and canopy.

I ended up swapping out that P-47 canopy for a Falcon vac intended for an F8F Bearcat because it's a smidge taller.

This was going to require a little surgery...

After a period of observation it became apparent the patient was going to survive the amputation so further therapy was undertaken. Here's some mock-ups as the engine & cowling require painting prior to assembly.

Speaking of paint, the model was finished with a hairy stick and acrylics, Model Masters Insignia Blue mostly. The engine & guns were done in Gunmetal with Aluminum used to pick out cylinder detail. The canopy was tinted with RLM 78 Light Blue and the bombs given a coat of OD. Finally, Jet Exhaust was used on the exhaust stubs (natch).

Decals were all swiped from a vintage 1/72 F9F and have to be 35 years old. I'm always amazed when decals with this much mileage work, and I opted not to press my luck and went with a minimalist marking scheme.

The bombs and racks were nipped from classic Williams Bros. B-10 kits. They're probably supposed to be 1,000 lbs, but they seem too small for that and too big to be 500 pounders. Decals were used for the stripes.

The project took me the better part of the last week or so to get together as bench time has been limited.

I had a lot of fun on this model and it never ceases to amaze me how parts that aren't made to go together sometimes fit very nicely.

Here's a few shots of the Mugger going on the attack. I especially like some of these angles.

I hope you enjoyed the Martin Mugger and reading a little more history that's been lost in the fog of time.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 08:04:48 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline ed s

• An outstanding, creative builder.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 07:52:15 AM »
Another winner. Well done.

Ed

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 07:56:46 AM »
As usual,great work and story,well done !
Alex

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 08:33:47 AM »
And the audience is clammering for more!! Encore! Encore!
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 10:04:43 AM »
The result was so harmonious, I was not understanding its being classified in the scaleorama GB: "yes, it did not exist, but no mix of scales at all it seems"... Wrong! I was millions of miles away from imagining a DC-6 was there! Congratulations, inventor! :-*

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 12:20:58 PM »
Looks great Brian!  Hard to imagine that fuselage was actually a 1:144th scale aircraft before you scaled it up.  It reminds me a little of a Skyraider but with softer contours.  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 11:25:53 PM »
And the audience is clammering for more!! Encore! Encore!

Sometimes it's like you can read my mind. I've got another 1/144 DC-6 into 1/72 scale plane in the works.

I'm really glad you guys liked the Mugger. It was a lot of fun to put together.

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 03:30:48 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 05:31:09 AM »
Impressed with your keen eye to match up 1/144 seamlessly with 1/48.
Looking good and period correct.
Was stationed at NAS Whidbey Island.  After a few beers seems I recall lore of the Mugger being talked about.  But that's foggy like the weather sometimes was.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 09:12:51 AM »
That's a pearl of a back story, Brian!
I thought you had whiffed a Siga AM-1 Mauler! Great job of re-scaling the DC-6 and turning it into a Mugger!

Offline Artoor_K

• On the run from Polish Rivet Counters...
  • Use the power of your dreams!
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 05:27:08 AM »
Attack plane out of DC-6! Available only at BtS :) Hats off before your imagination, Brian da Basher :D
Sickening, weakening
Don't let another somber pariah consume your soul
You need strengthening, toughening
It takes a bit of dark to rekindle the fire burning in you
Ignite the fire within you

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 01:07:12 AM »
Great stuff Brian  :) :) :)

Has a Ventura look to it ---

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 10:07:09 AM »
Brian, that truly is clamtastic! Bravo, my friend! Absolutely inspired! I love the model and the backstory - especially your use of the archives.

Also: that is a nice bomb pattern! Reminds me I need to re-read a certain book...
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates