Author Topic: Frigates, Destroyers, And Cruisers Ideas And Inspirations  (Read 16829 times)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
Re: Frigates, Destroyers, And Cruisers Ideas And Inspirations
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2017, 10:17:21 AM »
Question: I am under the impression that European navies do not use TACAN to guide ship-borne helicopters during launch and recovery.  How is helicopter guidance achieved in those navies?

Thanks in advance.

===================================================================================

Interesting news from the US in relation to modernising and returning some FFG-07s to service to speed up progress to the hoped for 355 ship navy.  Mentioned was the successful upgrade of ships of the type by overseas navies (i.e. Australia) with new combat systems VLS etc.  As the USNs reserve FFGs have had their Mk-13s removed this makes the fitting of a larger VLS than on the RANs ships a possibility, at least two eight cell strike length modules would fit in the space formerly occupied by the Mk-13 GMLS and the RAN ships show an eight cell point defence (ESSM) unit can fit forward of that for an easy total of 24 cells without major structural work.  Canister launched anti ship missiles (what ever is selected for the LCS) could also be fitted between the superstructure and the VLS for a total of 32 ESSM, eight ASvMs and sixteen cells for SM-2/6, Tomahawk, VLASROC etc.

Every mention on the possibility of retrofitting Mk.41 into OH Perry class FFGs, IIRC, speaks of 4 x 8 cells although I reckon those to be Tactical Length.  I don't recall there being any Harpoon alternative that will fit into the Tactical Length Mk.41 though......

And then there is just restoring Harpoon capabilities.  Either way, I also reckon that there is always the option for another eight Self-Defense Length Mk.41 cells la Australian FFG Upgrade, accepting that those eight cells are stuck with quad-packed ESSMs.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 02:59:59 PM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2017, 02:05:37 PM »
One thing I did not notice about the Allen M. Sumners destroyers transferred to the Shah Iran until recently- raised roof to accommodate a telescoping extension.

Come to think of it, I don't know if any other second-hand Gearings and Allen M. Sumners received this sort of modifications as well- AFAIK, Greece simply abolished their flight decks, and the ROC/Taiwan is the only such operator to whom the idea of LASH caught on (in the form of the 500MD ASW Defender).
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2017, 02:49:30 PM »
Certainly see sensors-weapons growth-modernization of Fletcher to Sumners series to what is likely most mature point in this photo.
Always was the definitive destroyer type to me.
Remember being around 1960's FRAM converted ships.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 04:45:47 PM by finsrin »

Offline exkiwiforces

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2018, 12:31:58 PM »
I need some help as ive just purchased two Revel 1/700 kits of HMS Tiger C20 Im looking to do a WHIFF on Tiger and Blake based around a refit in the late 70s and 80s just prior to the Falklands War.

The plan is to retain the 6gun, but replace the 3 gun with Sea Dart/ Sea Eagle combo system,
Replace the two Sea Cat Systems with two Sea Wolf systems and add two IKARA launchers.
Close in guns twin 40mm radar assist guns and a gaggle of 20mm guns (single and twin mounts)
Reduce the Sea King Helicopters from four to two or replace with two Lynx Helicopters IOT save weight and space for the Sea Dart/ Sea Eagle radars and Sea Wolf radars.

Would the fitting of these wpns and associate mission systems will cause any top weight issues? Please note I have next to naval experience, but I have an interest in navel affairs which may seem strange for an ex-tankie and soon to be an ex RAAF rock ape.

Without having to buy complete kits, where can I get Sea Dart, Sea Wolf, IKARA Launchers and radars as I already have the rest

Offline apophenia

• Suffered two full days of rapid-fire hallucinations and yet had not a single usuable whif concept in the lot !?!
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2018, 05:35:57 AM »
Interesting. So, in your scenario, the late-'60s helicopter and command cruiser conversions never happened.

Good call on dropping the QF 3in Mark N1 guns. (Not sure about British experiences but feeds had a rep for jamming in Canadian service.) With each twin Mark 6 mount pulled, you're saving about 37 Imperial tons ... so over 200 tons total.

I've no clue about the weight of BAe's proposed 'Lightweight Sea Dart launcher' but the name suggest that you won't have any weight issues.

The Tiger class were finally paid off because of crewing issues (original complement was almost 700). The RW conversions exacerbated the crewing challenges. So ... what about some systems modernization to lower the complement?

Maybe replace the Admiralty three-drum boilers with three Olympus TM3B gas turbines? That'd give you engine commonality with the Type 21 and 42 frigates and Invincible class aircraft carrier? You'd end up with slightly less power but much lighter engines. Best of all, no actual styrene modifications required  ;)

https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/p/WEM+1700+Seadart+Missiles+PRO+7050/5797/#.WyGLP2sh270
Under investigation by the Committee of State Sanctioned Modelling, Alternative History and Tractor Carburettor Production for decadent counterrevolutionary behaviour.