Author Topic: New Masking Tape  (Read 3803 times)

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
New Masking Tape
« on: June 21, 2019, 07:57:35 AM »
Bought this a while ago available at Bunnings hardware stores across Great Oz for $13.50 a roll  8) 8) 8)
It is esaki quality masking tape, the same (or better) performance than overly expensive Tamiya tape, I've been using it a while and it's great :smiley:
It only needs to be cut to the width you need, brilliant  ;) ;)
FrogTape by Neil, on Flickr
FrogTape2 by Neil, on Flickr

Bought to you by "Save a Buck" and other good frugal modellers :smiley:
FAA 8) 8) 8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: New Masking Tape
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 11:47:52 AM »
I think I have seen this product in a couple of hardware stores around here, the big box stores but have not tried it out yet.  There are several brands of what they describe as "Low Tackiness" tapes in blue, light green/lime, and a light purple colour that are all quite similar in capabilities, I have stocked up on the blue tape as it was priced to appeal to my own frugal character and the other two colours appeared on the shelf later after I had acquired the blue tape.  It does come in several widths which I find to be a good option to have when masking things or just taping the parts together to get a feel for the task ahead.  I think it was Carl/The Big Gimper that called it the "Imagineering Tape" or something like that.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 11:07:37 PM »
I found a similar "low tack" tape in a paint store a while back, that had been described as a Tamiya tape replacement in rec.,models.scale. It wasn't... it was low tack and would unpeel itself from a flat, horizontal surface.

The best, cheapest true Tamiya equivalent tape (because it is...) I've found is MT Washi masking tape

Offline Spey Phantom

• 1/144 addict
  • the modeler formerly known as Nils.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 12:03:51 AM »
i recently bought some cheap masking tape on Aliexpress (ive been using that site A LOT lately).
it was about 5 Euro's for 5 roles of tape and the quality is excelent, similar to the Tamiya.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5Pieces-lot-3mm-50mm-Scale-Models-Gundam-Models-Painting-Cover-Tape-Masking-Tape-And-Tape-Cutter/32895042464.html?spm=a2g0z.10010108.1000001.12.47857cadUCzNC9

a small tip, stay away from the Jammydog tape, ive used these on my electra, NEVER AGAIN!
on the bench:
-various models

on the drawing board:
-various 1/72 TinTin aircraft
-1/72 Eurocopter Tiger (Belgian Army)
-various other 1/72 and 1/144 aircraft

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 03:01:26 AM »
<snip>
The best, cheapest true Tamiya equivalent tape (because it is...) I've found is MT Washi masking tape

Can confirm, I've used this stuff and it's quite good and very inexpensive.

One tip, de-tack it a bit before applying. It's a bit stickier than Tamiya but this could be due to my place being hot (of course, I'm here - hey-o!). Still it works great, cuts well with either an Xacto self-amputation tool or scissors and can be re-used.

I got a life-time supply of this stuff for $10 which is less than a couple rolls of kabuki tape when gas is factored in.

Brian da Basher

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 02:08:34 AM »
Run a little water along the edge and it seals, that's the paint block feature.
3M makes a similar product.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 02:12:07 AM »
I think I have seen this product in a couple of hardware stores around here, the big box stores but have not tried it out yet.  There are several brands of what they describe as "Low Tackiness" tapes in blue, light green/lime, and a light purple colour that are all quite similar in capabilities, I have stocked up on the blue tape as it was priced to appeal to my own frugal character and the other two colours appeared on the shelf later after I had acquired the blue tape.  It does come in several widths which I find to be a good option to have when masking things or just taping the parts together to get a feel for the task ahead.  I think it was Carl/The Big Gimper that called it the "Imagineering Tape" or something like that.  :smiley:

Be careful with the 3M green coloured tapes, one of them is a very high-tack tape for lacquers,
not modelling lacquers, think auto body or furniture. If you accidentally use it on a model
it lift everything off down to the bare plastic.

;D :-X :icon_fsm:
conspiracy.”

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 04:39:38 AM »
I've been using this painter's tape from ipg, lower tack than the 3M blue
and it seems to be thinner.

https://itape.com/-/media/files/tds/msk/msk_pt8_tds.pdf
conspiracy.”

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 04:50:41 AM »
@Jon/JCF - Thanks for  the clarification.  I have only purchased and used the 3M Blue tape and it was during my shopping trip for the blue tape that I encountered the other tapes of similar purpose.  So far, the blue tape has been reliable for the various imagineering events and the occasional assist in assembly.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg