Author Topic: L/F: 1/72 Huntington BL.755 CBU's  (Read 7369 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
L/F: 1/72 Huntington BL.755 CBU's
« on: May 29, 2018, 01:48:35 PM »
Hi guys, I'm looking for Huntington BL.755 Cluster Bomb Units in 1/72 (Wingman Models already do them in my preferred 1/48).

If anyone knows if anyone makes them, it'll be you gents! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
Re: L/F: 1/72 Huntington BL.755 CBU's
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 04:12:30 AM »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 07:04:36 AM »
That'd be them! :D

Thanks, mate! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 07:23:27 AM »
I'm pretty sure a bunch of them are included in Airfix's first 1/72 kits of second-generation Harriers.  I could probably find some in the stash if needs be.  I reckon the set shown would be more accurate and detailed, though.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 08:11:35 AM »
Hi Evan! :smiley:

Accuracy isn't paramount but would be nice.

Having just looked at the site, the big problem with those racks of BL.755's is that they cost about AU$15/set-of-2-racks & I need a minimum of 3 sets, up to 6 (so, 12 x 2-bomb racks) ... maybe more. :-\

I have a Jag GR.1/A, a couple of AV-8B's & a couple of F-4's to put them on (& the Toom carries a lot of them!).

Although. if they come with the REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT tags*, it may be worth it. ;)

*; Not, btw, shown in the Air-Graphics site images except on the built product.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 11:17:13 AM »
I'll have to do a fair bit of digging to find the kits.  With the recovery time from my operation, that may be a while (48 hours before I can drive, two weeks before I can do any lifting more than 10 pounds - and some of the storage boxes in the local stash exceed that).  If you need me to go looking, I will as soon as I can.

I just checked on Ebay, the Airfix Harrier GR.5 and Harrier GR.7 kits have six BL755s each and there is one seller who has several of the GR.7 kits for a reasonable price.  Worse come worst, I'll buy 3 or 6 of those, ship you the BL755s and fit other armament to the kits and/or do some whiffing for other variants (for example, bits and pieces from two fuselages to make the lengthened one proposed for a "Harrier III").  Considering that you are in Australia, the shipping won't be inexpensive (ask Zack what just a 1/72 A-7 canopy ran me) but I'm sure we can work something out.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 12:04:23 PM by elmayerle »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 08:46:06 PM »
Ah, yes, postage! :-\

If anyone finds it too expensive I can do PayPal or money order, & I'm fairly sure I can do direct transfer to your bank account (if you have the BSB* & Account numbers).

*: I don't know if this is international or just Australian.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 09:04:15 AM »
Paypal works fine for me.  Let me know if you want me to go after those kits and I will.  The remaining bits will allow me room to whif some goodies (think the French would go with a French equipment fit where practical and fly them from modified Mistral-class ships?) in both markings/users. weapons fit, and derivatives.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 10:12:58 AM »
Here is a sprue shot from the Airfix GR.7. Note it comes with 4 different noses.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:51:49 AM by The Big Gimper »

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 11:15:57 AM »
I'm using an Italeri Tonka, & a Hasegawa dual-boxing of both the AV-8B & the Toom. All pretty much OoB, except for load-outs & schemes.

Those Airfix BL.755's seem to be missing the reinforced "saddle" over the top but I can work around that, if necessary.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 07:24:57 PM »

Lord Vader
by The Big DV, on the Republic version of Flickr
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:27:22 PM by The Big Gimper »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 09:42:57 PM »
 ;D

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 09:23:32 PM »
Another source are, strangely enough, Hasegawa's F-16 kits. Not much more detailed than Airifx's efforts, though, I'm afraid. Especially the arming vane is somewhat simplified.

SOURCE

Really wish Eduard would do these in resin. With a separate arming vane either in resin or PE.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 10:28:52 PM »
But they do have the "saddle" over the top! :smiley:

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 03:56:05 AM »
The recent Info Eduard hints at some 1/48 BL.755s. With any luck we'll see them in 1/72 soon thereafter.
Cheers,
Moritz

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 07:36:52 PM »
 :smiley:

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2018, 09:24:00 AM »
The recent Info Eduard hints at some 1/48 BL.755s. With any luck we'll see them in 1/72 soon thereafter.

"Soon". Yeah, well... five months later. Is that "soon"? I don't know. Anyway, Eduard delivers!  :icon_beer:

LINK to Eduard's Facebook
LINK to the article on Eduard's homepage
Cheers,
Moritz

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2018, 10:15:45 AM »
Well & truly soon enough for me! ;D

I'll have to check my local dealer to see if they're available. ;)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2019, 04:36:18 AM »
Nice photo of a CF-104 and BL755s

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2019, 04:49:46 AM »
Carl,

The stores under the wing of the F-104G are not Hunting BL.755 cluster munitions dispenser weapons. 

Weapons in the image are based on the Mk.20 Rockeye cluster munitions dispenser developed by the U.S. Navy and available under a number of SUU/CBU designations to NATO and other allied nations. 

***edit to fix grammar error.  fat fingers strike again.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 07:03:30 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2019, 04:56:23 AM »
Well colour me red.  :-X

This same FB group is selling these nice Agrus hoodies.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2019, 10:57:59 AM »
Nice photo of a CF-104 and BL755s

They may not be BL755s, but it IS a nice photo!  :-*   *saved-to-reference-folder*
Cheers,
Moritz

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2019, 11:32:32 AM »
Weapons in the image are based on the Mk.20 Rockeye cluster munitions dispenser ...

Yep, prior to signing the Convention on Cluster Munitions, DND only ever had two types of cluster munitions in service - the Mk 20 Rockeye and the 155 mm M483A1 DPICM artillery shell.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."