Author Topic: Gloster F.5 Mk. II Griffin - A Dovish Tale in 1/72 Scale  (Read 4114 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Gloster F.5 Mk. II Griffin - A Dovish Tale in 1/72 Scale
« on: May 26, 2018, 03:02:05 AM »

The Gloster F.5/34 is one of the more obscure pre-W.W. II prototypes.

Even more obscure is the aircraft it spawned, the Gloster F.5 Mk. II.

Powered by an uprated Bristol Mercury IX-III=VI radial engine, the prototype fighter would become almost known as the Griffin.

The Air Ministry, somehow seeing potential in the original Gloster F.5/34 ordered an improved version.

A bit non-plussed by the Ministry's lack of foresight but glad for the cash, Gloster delivered new the F.5 Mk. II for testing at the Royal Aircraft Establishment - Hurtlesham Heath Branch Annex in mid-1938.

Even though the Griffin would be hard-pressed to match the performance of existing Hurricanes and Spitfires, it was very heavily armed with two 28.63 m.m. cannon and six .303 machine guns in the wings.

Flight testing proceeded apace and the F.5 Mk. II was reputed to be quite maneuverable with an incredibly tight turning radius for the day.

The Griffon was then sent to RAF Benny Hill for gunnery testing in early 1939.

The timing couldn't have been better as the Griffin would soon be called upon for its one and only combat sortie.

During First Prague Spring Crisis in March, 1939, it was ordered to chase off a flock of rogue doves that was interfering with the "chain home" RDF network. Whether this was some kind of mis-directed peace overture remains unknown.

An indication of just how forward-thinking the Gloster firm was, these events preceded the hit single by over three decades.

Regardless how cutting-edge the Gloster concern may have been, that wouldn't compensate for lack of lubrication of the Bristol Mercury IX-III=VI's rocker-arm sleeves.

The aircraft made an emergency landing due to engine failure, its sole mission aborted.

Fortunately, the doves' instinctual migratory patterns kicked in and they soon went along their way, returning the "chain home" stations to full service.

Surpassed by more capable aircraft before it was even rolled out, no more Gloster F.5 Mk. IIs would ever be built and the lone example sank into ignominy long before the end of the war. To this day, the so-called "experts" insist it's all just to flighty to have ever been real.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 03:08:03 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Gloster F.5 Mk. II Griffin - A Dovish Tale in 1/72 Scale
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 03:17:58 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 03:35:31 AM »
This all started with a lovely 1/72 Hasegawa A6M3 a good friend sent me (thanks a million, hamsterman!). Isn't that box art something? Hasegawa rarely disappoints.

The kit itself while a bit simple by modern standards, still builds up to a creditable Zero unless you go defacing it as I did. You see, I had this spare Gladiator Bristol Mercury engine and cowl rattling around in the spares box. My first idea was grafting it on to a Hobby Boss Hurricane but that was more than I wanted to deal with. Then I discovered it was a pretty good fit on the Hasegawa Zero. I really shouldn't have been surprised.

Here's a few mock-ups. Everything is just stuck on with PVA.

I cut back the rudder to straighten it out and give the aircraft a more pronounced tail cone.

The kit's drop-tanks were used to fashion landing gear fairings.

These were further refined after painting by adding nubs of silver sprue for the ends of the struts.

The underside needed a fair bit of putty to conceal the gear doors and I cut a slot so I could pose it on a spare Matchbox stand.

Later I added the wing guns which were made from bits of landing gear struts. Here's how it all looked before paint.

Speaking of paint, the old hairy stick was trotted out again and loaded up with Model Master's Primer Gray acrylic.

The canopy was tinted on the inside with Insignia Blue and the exhaust pipes and collector ring were done in in Polly Scale Building Brown with a bit of Model Master's Jet Exhaust dry-brushed over top. The prop blades were painted in Aluminum.

The engine was given a base coat of Black and details picked out with a cheap craft-store metallic. A custom mix was used on those wing guns.

Decals were from spares. The roundels came from an Airfix Canadair Sabre and the codes from a Gladiator.

Here's a couple of shots so you can get a closer look at the landing gear.

This took me about a week to put together. It could've been done faster but life has been interfering with my bench time again.

Before I forget, here's a couple of "money shots" (U.S. penny for scale):

I'd like to thank Bill for sending me the kit. I couldn't have done this without you!

I hope you enjoyed the Gloster F.5 Mk. II Griffin and reading about more forgotten aircraft history even if it's a bit flighty.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 03:42:12 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 03:58:34 AM »
It may have been a bit of mutt but I love the look of Gloster's F.5/34. But who but BdB would think of a Zero-based F.5/34 development? Sheer genius!  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 08:34:57 AM »
Brian, you keep going on about my skills at building subjects, but there's no way I can keep up with your fantastic builds ---- your skill far surpasses mine ---

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 04:30:27 PM »
Great bashing job, Brian! The best yet, IMO. :smiley: :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 07:13:13 AM »
awesome work.

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 12:59:14 AM »
Damn good kite ole bean, another success in your plan to show everyone else how it's done.  I bow to your greatness.

:icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.