Author Topic: Recent Builds  (Read 782 times)

Offline ScranJ51

• Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!
Recent Builds
« on: April 02, 2018, 08:30:15 AM »
A couple more finished:

WILLIAMS FW14
The Williams FW14 was a Formula One car designed by Adrian Newey, used by the Williams team during the 1991 and 1992 Formula One seasons.  The car was born out of necessity, as the 1989 and 1990 seasons had proven competitive for Williams, but they had underachieved in their own and Renault's eyes. Newey started work on the new car soon after joining the team from March in mid-1990. He had designed a series of aerodynamically efficient and very effective cars for March on a limited budget, so with Williams's greater resources and money he was able to fully develop his ideas. The design showed enough promise to tempt Nigel Mansell to shelve his plans to retire from the sport and re-join Williams from Ferrari.

Powered by a 3.5 litre V10 Renault engine, the car was the most technically sophisticated on the grid. By 1992 the FW14B featured semi-automatic transmission, active suspension, traction control and for a brief period anti-lock brakes. Add to that the superb aerodynamics by Newey that was far ahead of the McLaren MP4/7A, Ferrari F92A or Lotus 107, and it made for a potent mix, although at the beginning the unbelievers said the car was too technical for its own good. The FW14B was so successful that its successor (the FW15), which was already available mid-season in 1992, was never used.

The FW14 made its debut at the 1991 United States Grand Prix. The car was clearly the most technically advanced on the grid, but teething troubles during the season stymied the team's early progress. Nigel Mansell and Riccardo Patrese recorded 7 victories between them, but the Drivers' Championship was wrapped up by Ayrton Senna in the McLaren, who had better reliability.

Williams had the faster car throughout the balance of the season and it provided a run of good form in the mid-season for both Mansell and Patrese. Mansell however had several retirements due to the then new-for-Williams semi-automatic transmission, with most of these retirements occurring while in a position to win races. Patrese was impressive on several occasions, and retired while leading twice. McLaren's superior reliability told in the Constructors' Championship as well, as they narrowly took the title from Williams.

fw14-01 by David Freeman, on Flickr

fw14-02 by David Freeman, on Flickr

fw14-03 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Notice the front wing has yet to be attached - alignment issues  :o   :icon_sueno: 

You may contrast this with the recent McLaren MP4-4.  On the McLaren, all the orange (colour) is decals.  Here the car has been hand-painted (all three colours - blue, yellow and white) over blue moldings - then some decals added.

The next car (which will finish this week) is also hand-painted.
Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Recent Builds
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 04:57:23 PM »
You have some enviable talent with those colorful racing schemes!

Brian da Basher

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 08:05:24 PM »
The other - Tyrrell 021

TYRRELL 021
The Tyrrell 021 was a Formula One racing car designed by Mike Coughlan for Tyrrell Racing and raced during the 1993 season. The car was powered by a Yamaha V10 engine and was driven by Ukyo Katayama and Andrea de Cesaris. The car was unsuccessful with no points scored during the season. The 021 was replaced by the Harvey Postlethwaite designed 022 for the 1994 season.

Tyrrell-21-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Tyrrell-21-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Tyrrell-21-3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 04:36:17 PM »
Another finished - this is a second hand kit that had been started - a few bits missing/damaged.

Got it together ok - but not my best effort.

Box says a Honda F1 - it is essentially the Williams Honda of 1985

Honda-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Honda-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Honda-3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

:smiley:

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 02:32:55 AM »
I always enjoy your colorful racers, Scran!

You've got some enviable talent for those exacting schemes!

Brian da Basher

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 09:57:43 AM »
Another finished - a Spyker MF1 in a promotional livery for Dremel

Spyker01 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Spyker02 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Spyker03 by David Freeman, on Flickr

SPYKER MF1
Midland F1 Racing (also known as MF1 Racing) was a Formula One constructor and racing team. It competed in the 2006 Formula One season with drivers Christijan Albers and Tiago Monteiro. The team was created by the renaming of Jordan Grand Prix after its purchase by Canadian businessman, and owner of the Midland Group, Alex Shnaider. The team was registered as the first Russian Formula One team, reflecting Shnaider's roots, although it continued to be based in the United Kingdom, at Jordan's Silverstone factory. Towards the end of the 2006 season, the team was sold to Spyker Cars N.V.; the team raced in its last three Grands Prix under the official name "Spyker MF1 Racing". In 2007, the team competed as Spyker F1, and in 2008 was sold to Indian businessman Vijay Mallya and was renamed Force India F1.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 09:31:30 PM by ScranJ51 »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 10:04:54 AM »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 06:07:29 AM »
I really like this one. It has the added bonus of if they needed to save weight they could just dremel out some holes.

I'll get me coat.

Great model!

Brian da Basher

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 05:04:56 PM »
Some fun - all 1/32nd

McLaren M6B, Porsche Carrera 6, Ferrari P330, Chapparal 2E, Chapparall 2F, Lotus 33

32-01 by David Freeman, on Flickr

32-02 by David Freeman, on Flickr

32-03 by David Freeman, on Flickr

32-04 by David Freeman, on Flickr

32-05 by David Freeman, on Flickr

32-06 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Will eventually go back to the Lotus and scratchbuild some rear suspension  :o

Offline Brian da Basher

• Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 01:03:27 AM »
Well if anyone can scratch-build rear suspensions, you seem to be the man for the job!

These are all little gems. I like the brightness and simplified schemes on the top ones. I think the last one is my favorite. I always seem to appreciate older models of cars. At least I end up driving so many (currently up to 1995)...

Brian da Basher

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 03:55:26 PM »
Another finished:

LOLA T90-50
After their limited success in the 1960s with Formula One, Lola turned its attentions primarily to sports cars but also to Formula Two, where Lola became the works team for BMW. As the years went on, Lola had somewhat more success in Formula Two than it ever had in Formula One, although as March and later Ralt established themselves, Lola's involvement in the category became intermittent and less successful. The final Lola F2 was in fact derived from a Ralt design Ė the Ralt RT2 became the Toleman TG280, which Toleman licensed to Lola who productionised it as the T850. When Formula Two became Formula 3000 in 1986, Lola made a "false start" with a car based on their significantly larger Indycar chassis; from 1986 they returned with a bespoke F3000 design and the cars enjoyed significant success for the next few years, competing with Ralt and Reynard, although Reynard effectively wiped the others out of the market.

This Lola T90-50 raced in the All Japan F3000 Championship.

LolaT90-50-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

LolaT90-50-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

LolaT90-50-3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

LolaT90-50-4 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Offline Brian da Basher

• Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 07:22:22 AM »
I really like this racing scheme and it's gotta take a heap of talent & skill and then some to pull it off!

Most excellent!

Brian da Basher

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 05:19:36 PM »
NISSAN R390 GT1
In 1997 the Nissan Motor Co Ltd entered their latest Nissan R390 GT1 in the 24 Hours of Le Mans.  This R390 GT1 took its name from a car, R380, that excited Japanese motor sports enthusiast over thirty years ago.  Three R390 GT1ís were entered to the 1997 Le Manís event and, among them, car 21 achieved a pole position in the pre-qualifying race.  Although the overall result was rather discouraging, the R390ís outstanding performance, displayed during the early stage of the race, was something to behold and promising for the years to come.

Nissan R390GT1-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Nissan R390GT1-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Nissan R390GT1-3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Offline Brian da Basher

• Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 05:23:28 AM »
Yet another beauty!

Your work on the decals is stunning. I imagine it takes a very steady hand to get them placed so well.

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 03:14:28 AM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!