Author Topic: Best Air Superiority Fighter, 1956-1968  (Read 2690 times)

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Best Air Superiority Fighter, 1956-1968
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2018, 06:14:55 AM »
Ok, given the new scenario information my selection options would be the following:

Saab Draken - probably something based upon the B or D variant
Dassault Mirage III - probably something based on the IIIE variant
McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II - probably C or D variant
Convair F-106 Delta Dart

Rational is:

Given said country already has a fighter in service in the class of a F-86/MiG-15, one could probably get by with a new fighter entering service in the early - mid 1960s.  If more capability was deemed necessary earlier, then maybe add missiles to the existing as an interim upgrade.  Either way, this allows one to consider one of the 2nd gen supersonic platforms (treating MiG-19/F-100 as first gen supersonic here).  This largely puts all the listed contenders on the same basic level in terms of max aerodynamic performance.  It also gives a reason to possibly eliminate the F-8.

Next, I looked at the range since having more endurance would be of benefit both in terms of endurance but also in that it does allow more options if you later want to take the fight to the enemy..  This eliminated such contenders as EE. Lightning and MiG-21 since these are more of point defence interceptors at this stage and even if they aren't, the listed ones supposedly have more range.

Concurrent to this, I also looked at weapons load out.  Again, here I believe all the listed have a slight advantage in terms of quantity of weapons able to be carried.  That said, in most cases the quality of the missiles in this period often left a lot to be desired, even systems such as the AIM-9.  In this regard, the Draken and the Mirage benefit from already having cannon built in - twin 30mm cannon in both cases.  Yes, both the F-4 and the F-106 received guns later on in their service but at this stage they didn't have them.  Similarly, whilst the F-4 would have the maximum missile compliment and carry the most BVR missiles with its AIM-7s, unless the RoE allowed these weren't going to be of much use.  Even if RoE wasn't a factor, missile performance as well as likely engagement ranges (which factor in coming velocities of both forces, radar performance and missile range amongst other things) would probably see more than 1 or 2 BVR shots unlikely anyway.  Most likely there might be a chance or a single shot (with understanding that it may not result in a kill but would potentially turn the opposing force onto the defensive) before a merge and more traditional dogfight with WVR weapons.  In this regard I don't believe that either the Draken or Mirage are really hindered by having less BVR missiles.

Both Draken and Mirage also have the advantage of having a reasonable (for the time) ground attack capability with bombs and/or unguided rockets.

Finally, if said nation was also able to introduce something akin to the Swedish STRIL 60 system, possibly as part of a package deal from the Swedes, than that might give a slight advantage to the Draken.  That said though, aspects such as cost and potential logistic support etc may come into play in the final selection.  Interestingly enough, I also believe cost would be something that rule the F-4 out in comparison for most countries - both the up front and ongoing support costs for the Draken/Mirage would be better than the F-4.

Overall, if I had to choose, I would possibly go for a Saab Draken fleet based upon the J-35D with more powerful Rolls-Royce Avon 300 (RM6C) and slightly more capable PS-03 radar.  In addition to the internal 30mm cannon I would plan on using AIM-9 missiles and possibly either an AIM-9C SARH variant or something similar to give a SARH BVR weapon.  Ideally, I would also try to integrate such a platform with something such as the STRIL 60 system to give the best possible use of the weapons system in that timeframe.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 06:40:31 AM by GTX_Admin »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2018, 10:15:07 AM »
It was why the UK allowed Australia to purchase the Canberra bomber way back in 1951 - to allow us to carry UK Atomic Bombs to southern China.

I think you will find that there was more to it than that...

Of course there is, Greg, there always is.  You have Ming the Mercilless's ego, you have the British playing on that with some clever marketing (naming the aircraft after the Australian capital certainly helped), the promise of Australia getting it's own nukes, and so on and so on.   The purchase was ultimately a good idea but there were plenty of shenanigans around it which helped it along it's way.   The fact that there was no real American equivalent to the Canberra also helped.  The B-45 was no where as good which is why the USAF adopted the B-57 - a Canberra.  Ultimately, however, the reason was because the British were terrified that the UK as going to get wiped out in any nuclear exchange between the US and the fUSSR, so the Empire needed to fight on from the "periphery" - Australia, New Zealand, South Africa...   

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2018, 07:08:06 PM »

Bill Gunston had no doubt: for him, Draken was the best.

I would be very interested in Bill Gunston's analogy of why he viewed the Draken "was the best" if you have it Carlos!
If you do,  could you PM it to me please?

M.A.D

https://www.amazon.es/Fighters-Fifties-Bill-Gunston/dp/0850594634/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515701218&sr=8-1&keywords=fighters+fifties+gunston

'... one wonders why this amazingly cost/effective family should hardly have been considered by the flood of air forces that instead bought the F-104, F-5, or Mirage. Even today the ability to make automatic all-weather interceptions at Mach 2, drop 9,000 lb of bombs, or fly any kind of electronic-warfare or recon mission, and then vanish into the obscurity of farmland where there is no evident airfield, is not exactly common.'

This is just a quote from J35 article of mentioned book.

Thank you Carlos, you're a gentleman  ;)

M.A.D

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2018, 07:24:01 PM »
Very interesting and probably belongs in another thread but I would love to find out more about the FJ-4/F-86K combo concept.

There were CAC plans for a four ADEN evolved Avon Sabre
What I know about it I got from a former co-worker who was at NAA-Columbus from the early 1950's to when they closed.

That CAC four ADEN concept sounds nice.  Got any drawings?

I second that request elmayerle

M.A.D

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2018, 09:10:00 PM »
Very interesting and probably belongs in another thread but I would love to find out more about the FJ-4/F-86K combo concept.

What I know about it I got from a former co-worker who was at NAA-Columbus from the early 1950's to when they closed.

Just text references in a book

http://regimental-books.com.au/the-meteor-sabre-and-mirage-in-australian-service-p-2620.html

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2018, 01:59:24 AM »

Would that have been a FJ-4 fuselage with F-86K wings or the other way around Evan.  I had a plan to put the FJ-4 wings on an F-86D/K for a project something like this below. I was going to change the wings from what you can see here.

Online elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2018, 02:55:47 AM »
Probably a modified F-86K nose mated to an FJ-4 fuselage and wings.  The intake would need to be modified to match the airflow of the J65 instead of the airflow required by the J47.  The nose probably would have been positioned so as to give adequate over-the-nose visibility for carrier landings, too.

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2018, 05:38:24 AM »
Actually, taking my last post a little further, one could conceivably have the Saab J-35F improved version be selected under this scenario.  In the real world, this first flew flight in Dec 1961 and entered operational service with the Flygvapnet  in Jun 1964.  Therefore, maybe have an interim use of J-35Ds followed by the definitive J-35F.  This improved version still had the cannon (albeit down to one) and had improved electronics etc.though one could possibly return the second cannon just as Denmark did for their real world Saab 35XD variants which were based upon the J-35F.

On the missile side, one might as well go with a mix of AIM-9 and even GAR-11A/Rb.27 in the SARH/BVR role just as the Swedes did.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!