Author Topic: Crew Served Weapons  (Read 1358 times)

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
    • SketchUp 3D Warehouse - My Digital Models
Crew Served Weapons
« on: November 28, 2016, 02:11:45 PM »
A place to discuss crew served weapons normally seen in use and organic to infantry units for direct and indirect fire support.  Crew served weapons such as the mortar, recoilless rifle, machine gun, and anti-tank guided missile launcher systems and associated equipment. 

I needed a place to post this little gem that I found today while reviewing a rather old book on ammunition. 
What caught my eye in the attached image was:
1.  It is a WOMBAT 120mm RR weapon
2.  Ammunition is correctly displayed with the individual rounds still inside of the container with just the base of the cartridge exposed for access. 
3.  The gunner is peering through an not often seen A/N TVS-5 Crew Served Weapons Night Vision Sight (aka "Starlight Scope"). 

Feel free to add other crew served weapons to the topic for discussion. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
Re: Crew Served Weapons
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 08:55:34 PM »
Is that a spotting rifle mounted above the RR? The one in the background is a little more apparent.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 09:35:19 PM »
Yep, just part hidden by the scope.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 02:15:53 AM »
fit a couple of these to some vehicles: 

XM307 Advanced Crew Served Weapon (was originally developed under the OCSW or Objective Crew Served Weapon project but cancelled in 2007):

It was 25mm.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 07:05:50 PM »
Is that a spotting rifle mounted above the RR? The one in the background is a little more apparent.

M-8C Spotting Rifle
http://www.warboats.org/mst2bremmer/stoner_ord_notes/stonerhtml/RECOILLESS_RIFLE.htm

If suitably motivated, the spotting rifle cartridges can be made from cut-down .50 cal Browning brass.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
    • SketchUp 3D Warehouse - My Digital Models
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 02:10:45 AM »
M-8C Spotting Rifle <snip> If suitably motivated, the spotting rifle cartridges can be made from cut-down .50 cal Browning brass.

If suitably motivated the M8C Spotting Rifle would be replaced with a laser rangefinder and a suitable auto-ranging weapons telescope to adjust for elevation/azimuth :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Story

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 01:39:46 AM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline Story

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 10:09:32 AM »
Posted primarily for the TOW wedged into an MRAP turret, but also for Grunt-level innovation.
https://taskandpurpose.com/5-battlefield-innovations-that-came-from-the-rank-and-file-troops/

#5 can also be down with the old ALICE pack and 750 rounds 7.62NATO belted in the main compartment for the M60. Ask me hows I knows dat.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 10:12:01 AM by Story »